It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook shows personal messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have a feeling a thread already exists here, but i couldnt find it.

There's a new article out at the moment regarding facebook, and the new 'timeline' featuing causing problems.

one significant problem is that personal messages between people now appear on the walls and timelines for all to see.

www.news.com.au...

But according to Facebook, only public wall posts are visible.

Dear Face book, you are COMPLETELY WRONG.

I can read personal messages between myself and friends on my wall, from other peoples accounts

edit on 4-10-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It must just be a glitch with certain accounts, because I don't have that issue, and neither does anybody else I know who uses facebook.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Hmm maybe its local to Australia because I just had some friends confirm their messages appear too.

Its a pretty significant security flaw, if peoples personal messages are openly available for others to view, its akin to hotmail posting your emails.

Its messages BEFORE 2011, and they aren't obvious, you need to click on the little blue dots that arent showing.

edit on 4-10-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have also noticed this. Lucky I don't post anything too personal using Facebook, although I have used it to procure some illegal substances..... But that doesnt really bother me.
If peoria are really that interested in my personal life they could just ask.
It could be a good opportunity to get some dirt on people before they fix the flaw.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have noticed this too.
Especially when I try to privately message my friends in Germany, it just doesn't work. They laughed at me first and thought I was stupid but the two systems are definitively incompatible. I always have to make it a wall message instead.

What also really p*sses me off is that absolutely everything has to be shared with everybody. The other day I got an email from FB telling me how I can reach more people with directed messages. Why? I am not a large corporation, nor am I advertising anything. I certainly don't want everyone to know what I just wrote to one friend. All I want is to have a "private" talk with a few selected friends. FB is mental, it is all about having as many "friends" as possible in order to spread their adverts. I am on there so rarely its a joke but it keeps me in contact with my true friends abroad [from Germany to Korea]. If it was up to me I'd go back to email any time. It was more personal and meant only for you. Not the general: "I have just eaten a large burger" or "Soooo tired" useless messages. I HATE FB.

top topics

join