It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious 'spiders' on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Mysterious 'spiders' on Mars

au.news.yahoo.com

Someone alert Ziggy Stardust, there appears to be spiders on Mars.

Strange black objects seen from 200 miles above the surface of Mars are generating interest and speculation that the unidentified objects could be anything from geysers to sunbathing colonies of microorganisms.

NPR compares several photos of the objects, including one taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on Jan. 27, 2010, that appears to show "little black flecks dotting the ridges, mostly on the sunny side, like sunbathing spiders sitting in rows."

The objects were first spotted in 1998. Interestingly, they appe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well well well, make of this what you will?

Well, I don't think it's spiders, but It is very interesting how they appear and diappear at will? Why do you think that is?

Most scientists, including teams from the U.S. Geological Survey, Hungary and the European Space Agency, have their own theories, but the leading explanation is that the objects are geysers of CO2 exploding from underneath the planet's surface.

I'll let you decide???

Photo's on link............sorry guys (at work)

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Just because I'm feeling a little crazy today......................

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
the thing is...i cant really see much...

and if the rover is there...why are they intoducing side stories...

but thanx...nice knowing

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Funny spiders are mentioned when they don't have confirmation of what it is

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

True, thought the same to be honest.

Still, it's interesting.

200 miles up though..........zoom nasa, zoom!!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Yeah true.

Still I think it relates more to what the "things" look like more than what they actualy are. ( I know you knew that) but why not ZOOM in!!!!!!! Arrrggghhhhh not good enough. Still, if they did that, they would have to admit they could do it to the moon i.e ZOOM in.....................Ahem, landing area photo's Ahem.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I sure caught what it said about appearing in the same place most of the time. If they've moved just once, it tends to rule out a physical feature of the ridge only visible or active at certain times, right? Physical features would always be in the same spot not just 'most' of the time I'd think.

I'd sure like to know why that isnt in the top few spots for the next run of probes. It appears to be the kind of mystery that could short cut so many things for getting answers.

I can't help but think of 'Mission to Mars' though and ewww.... Spiders? I'd almost prefer the super man-eating swarms of roaches from the movie, but either way...perhaps it is a real good thing this is all unmanned and mechanical at this point. Now mass produce the probes and litter the place with dozens to check out all these different areas.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

but thanx...nice knowing

Well, the rover can't be there as it's not a very safe area for it to have landed successfully - much for the same reasons it was landed in a crater.

MSL successfully carried out a more accurate landing than previous spacecraft to Mars, aiming for a small target landing ellipse of only 7 by 20 km (4.3 by 12 mi),[16] in the Aeolis Palus region of Gale Crater.

It's on peoples minds right now, Mars. So even an article from 2010 will be of interest to some people, looking perhaps for the first time at Mars like this.

I don't see why it's a question, it's a spark of interest. Most of these articles are from news outlets and not suddenly being offered. Check the dates. There are articles from 2008.

martianchronicles.wordpress.com...

It's just news if you're looking for it.
edit on 4-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Seems these "Spiders" are on the ridge of a sand dune? And it's big! So would that move???

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I read, it had been postulated that the Martian Spring sun melts ice. This releases geysers of gases, which leave "spider" - looking spew stains on the surrounding land.
edit on 4-10-2012 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Strange black objects seen from 200 miles above the surface of Mars are generating interest and speculation that the unidentified objects could be anything from geysers to sunbathing colonies of microorganisms.

Maybe I just don't understand but how is an object seen from 200 miles away considered to be a microorganism? I'm pretty sure if you can see it from 200 miles it's anything but small. Am I missing something?

Edit: Okay I think if there was millions of them they would be visible. Answered my own question.

edit on 4-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Seems these "Spiders" are on the ridge of a sand dune? And it's big! So would that move???

That's enough to fuel the imagination and questions for awhile, isn't it? While doing all the work on my budget thread, I'd looked over the NASA budget stuff along with everything else. For all the insane numbers and hundreds of billions to this company or that company and really just spreading the money out to everyone.....NASA's budget is just under 20 billion. The whole agency...for all the various things they have, from the Voyagers from way back to what took these photos.

You'd think we could spend a few more bucks for something so exciting. I wanna know!
Even if it's geysers...? It's apparently predictable and regular by the sound, right? So...land a probe there and piddle around with all the usual rock picking stuff, waiting for these to do whatever it is they do. Then we can finally all see what liquid on Mars consists of.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Interestingly, they appear when the surface of Mars begins to warm, showing up in the same location most of the time. And then when the Martian winter approaches, they disappear with the same precise regularity.

Trees or bushes would fit that description here on Earth. Obviously they don't actually go away, but from 200 miles up it may appear that they do. Perhaps some kind of Martian foliage?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

but thanx...nice knowing

Do you know how long it takes to get curiosity to travel large distances? Were is this anomaly located relative to curiosity?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
big black spiders on mars. kinda reminds me of the big black spider looking "shadows" from mars in babalon 5

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
There is already a lively thread on this. I'll get the link and come back...

ETA: Ahhh. Here it is.

But I think you're allowed a second thread in Breaking Alt News (although this isn't really BREAKING news...). Just thought people might be interested and I hate to see all that duplicated effort.
edit on 4/10/12 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/10/12 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

I am giving you a star just for your avatar rofl

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

erm..its on the same planet!...im sure these organisms are not special to that ledge

peace

yea that avatar,,,i nearly died at justin bieber lol...that effected me the most...iv only just started talking to people again...
edit on 4-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Most of the photos of those "spiders" are from HiRISE, so even if it's 200 miles above them, with a resolution of 25 cm per pixel it would be enough to show something as small as a chair (for example) on the surface of Mars.

And yes, this is old news.

top topics

join