Animals/Pets Forum?

page: 3
120
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DENBY
 


Yes...apparently cats basically kept the rat population under control, which prevented the spread of disease....much more here then meets the eye....lol...and I Love kitty pics too......


Both subjects you bring up are facinating.....I would enjoy discussing them further, and while we have many threads that have discussed Animals on ATS in various forums...I guess to me it just seems that it might be an act of respect to the beautiful Animals we share the Earth with to give this topic a "special" place....♥

p.s. what makes a cat purr? What makes a dog wag thier tail? These are forms of communication that have a "vibration"....and it's all connected somehow.....my two dogs and our new kitten are all sleeping together right now....cute as can be...
edit on 15-10-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)




posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
hahaha gawd, you guys are slaying me, all good ideas put forward.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
hahaha gawd, you guys are slaying me, all good ideas put forward.






Maybe...Just maybe...

Sauron is warming up to the idea?

Just a little?...


Peace

BTW...Apologies for last night.

10 too many JD shots.

Respect.

edit on 15-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Great idea!!

I have a cat and just acquired a dog.


A pet forum would be great.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by DENBY
 


Yes...apparently cats basically kept the rat population under control, which prevented the spread of disease....much more here then meets the eye....lol...and I Love kitty pics too......


Both subjects you bring up are facinating.....I would enjoy discussing them further, and while we have many threads that have discussed Animals on ATS in various forums...I guess to me it just seems that it might be an act of respect to the beautiful Animals we share the Earth with to give this topic a "special" place....♥

p.s. what makes a cat purr? What makes a dog wag thier tail? These are forms of communication that have a "vibration"....and it's all connected somehow.....my two dogs and our new kitten are all sleeping together right now....cute as can be...
edit on 15-10-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)


Another topic for discussion is how We as Humans eschew the notion of SHARING this cosmic abode with anything Animal Vegetable or Mineral.
The Earth is our property and anything other than a Person is a tenant/squatter/guest subject to our rules and approval.
People are the only thing on this Planet that refuses to Respect and Live in harmony with all else.
People are also the greatest threat to the survival of Humanity.

IMO



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
hahaha gawd, you guys are slaying me, all good ideas put forward.






It could I should hope would be more than a Silly/Cute/Funny Pet Pix Forum.




posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DENBY
 


I know for sure that chimpanzees, and I believe other primates, go to war. Many primate species also have prostitution and complex economies. Termites, ants, and other colony insects also go to war for resources, food, and territory. People aren't the only species who don't "respect and live in harmony with all else."


But I think that would be more appropriate discussion for another forum. Hmmm...


EDIT TO ADD:

No need to make another post for this...

CNN has some pet and animal coverage every once in awhile. Here is something from Friday. A dog woke a family and saved their 9-week-old baby.

Dog alerts family to newborn's distress

This is an example of something that could very well be shared and discussed in a Pets and Animals forum.
edit on 10/15/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added some text, video.



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
reply to post by DENBY
 


I know for sure that chimpanzees, and I believe other primates, go to war. Many primate species also have prostitution and complex economies. Termites, ants, and other colony insects also go to war for resources, food, and territory. People aren't the only species who don't "respect and live in harmony with all else."


But I think that would be more appropriate discussion for another forum. Hmmm...


EDIT TO ADD:

No need to make another post for this...

CNN has some pet and animal coverage every once in awhile. Here is something from Friday. A dog woke a family and saved their 9-week-old baby.

Dog alerts family to newborn's distress

This is an example of something that could very well be shared and discussed in a Pets and Animals forum.
edit on 10/15/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added some text, video.


Thanks for the great contribution.

I see this thread picking up steam and hope it continues as I believe 100% that this type of forum is not only needed but will be a very popular one as well.



Peace



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DENBY

Originally posted by Sauron
hahaha gawd, you guys are slaying me, all good ideas put forward.






It could I should hope would be more than a Silly/Cute/Funny Pet Pix Forum.






I believe in the members here and know without a doubt that although there will be those "Silly/Cute/Funny Pet Pix" there will be a vast amount of quality based and informative threads covering the entire animal kingdom as well.

On a guilty pleasure note, I love those Ugly cat/dog posts.


Peace



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid
 


Thanks, that was a great story....another great topic that could be discussed....Animals and Children's relationships...it's really a remarkable thing if you have a pet with the temperment to bond with children, lol, another great topic actually.....I have a cool story to share...

We resucued a young female dog from the animal shelter, shortly afterwards I became pregnant.....well...somehow this dog KNEW.....and she never wanted to leave my side, she would lay her head in my lap, lol, and once the baby started to kick inside my womb Bonnie, the dog would kiss and lick my tummy.....when we brought our new baby daughter home from the hospital, Bonnie became her second Mommy...lol...our male dog was more indifferent, although he understood the baby was important to our family.

Bonnie would sleep every night next to her crib, come and alert me if the baby woke up even if she wasn't crying yet, she would jump in her play pen and cuddle with her, Linnea, my daughter,would lay on her like a pillow and just kick back and drink her bottle, if Linnea dropped her toys/rattle Bonnie would pick them up and give them back to her, and was fiercly protective, I never saw this dog become aggressive until one day a stranger tried to get too close while she was in her stroller at the park ....she started to growl and made it perfectly clear not to get to close to our baby!

Bonnie died when Linnea was 8yrs old and they were the best of friends....sadly was also her first experience dealing with death, to this day that dogs tags hang on our Christmas tree every year....oh geez...just thinking about this is getting me very chocked up.....



posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
So many posts lending credibility to this type of forum.


Great opportunity for serious discussion of important & intriguing topics sprinkled with funny/cute/ugly Pet Pix to take the edge off.


The best of both worlds.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DENBY
So many posts lending credibility to this type of forum.


Great opportunity for serious discussion of important & intriguing topics sprinkled with funny/cute/ugly Pet Pix to take the edge off.


The best of both worlds.





Beautifully said...
It's crazy because we are having a kitten explosion where I live...my daughter found three abandoned kittens, and brought them home..lol...I could fill pages with cute stories of all the animals she has brought home...we found them homes
...my daughter is an awesome person...was written up in the Human Societies Newsletter because she raised alot of money going door to door collecting food and cash for the shelter....she was 9 yrs old....also became a "veggie"....LOL....which was a challenge for me to feed her....we ate meat...

Anyways I was at the market a few weeks ago and found a kitten, he was just meowing and I tried to catch him, he was too scared...so I went and did my shopping and bought a can of cat food....I put it out for him and waited...poor little guy was soo hungry...he finally came out and ate....I brought him home....his name is Solo...and he is here to stay....but was talking to the clerk at the store, and he told me they always have alot of kittens in the parking lot....just sad...wish I could save them all....



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel
 


I just took in a Newbie too. A Girl. Barely coming out of Kitten-hood. I just lost My Best Girl 'The Queen Bee' 7 mos ago. She was only 8 & (sh-h-h-h-h-h-sh...my favorite).

I have 2 Boys & 1 Girl & now the Newbie.

My first Boy 'Spike' (The Cat of Cats) is 9 & I think He needs a new Girl-Friend. Not sure if He is ready yet.

Boy 2 'Smokey' (First Born of The Queen Bee & Spike) is 7 & He & 'The Mama' (Another rescue) who is 5 seem to be an item. Smokey was homed as a Kit & 6 years later was tossed out like an old shoe. (Some People... :mad ) I took Him back in.

There is a lot more to all of their stories & I will get to that at a later date. (Hopefully in the "All-New Spectacular Animals/Pets Forum"
)

Right now there is much to consider. We shall see.



edit on 10/16/2012 by DENBY because: correction



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DENBY
 


awww what a wonderful story, and furry members of your family sound awesome! The whole issue of "fixing" animals is actually a moral dilemna for me....because most of my pets over the years have come from the shelter, the decision is already made, they are fixed when you get them....I understand it's practical and logical but still on some "basic" level it bothers me?

p.s. I also hade a kitty named Spike....he basically came with a Nursery I bought...he loved sleeping in the herbs, the customers Loved him.....yeah...we could fill pages with animal stories...that cat actually brought me a dead mouse and layed in at my feet....I was like..."gee thanks Spike"....mixed emotions for sure.....



edit on 16-10-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking as a member, and not as staff for a minute...

Some of the best friends I have ever had have been animals. I have always had pets and, sadly, have watched many of my best friends go through their entire life cycle before my eyes - even as I barely felt as time passed at all. All in the span of just a few years. So references to the Rainbow Bridge always touch me, as some of my closest friends are currently playing in that field, beyond that bridge, waiting for the day I'll come looking for them again.

But I agree with Sauron - I do not think a pet forum to be likely. There are simply too many logistical issues involved and not enough of a demand for justification to conquer those logistics. That's must my opinion.

Having said that - there is nothing preventing members from starting their own pet sub forum under the auspices of the general chit chat heading. All of the thread ideas that I have seen mentioned so far would work there. Simply adopt a practice of putting something like [PETS] in front of thread titles and author the threads that you wish to author. That would allow those interested to scroll through the recent posts and look for that [PETS] tag or use the search engine to find them.

One of our sayings on ATS is "Be the change you wish to see". I suggest doing just that. Make the threads, create the demand, and show that there is high participation in those [PETS] threads. Then? Maybe one day in the future discussion of a pet specific forum would carry more weight. Then there would be proof that it wasn't all lulz cats posts - and that there was serious discussion.

Obviously I am in no position to make promises of any kind about ATS. I am just a moderator here. Not an owner. But I can say that is what I would do if I were passionate about the issue.

Just my .02 cents on the issue. Oh, and if I see [PETS] threads that are applicable to my experiences and thoughts, I will most surely participate in them.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking as a member, and not as staff for a minute...

Some of the best friends I have ever had have been animals. I have always had pets and, sadly, have watched many of my best friends go through their entire life cycle before my eyes - even as I barely felt as time passed at all. All in the span of just a few years. So references to the Rainbow Bridge always touch me, as some of my closest friends are currently playing in that field, beyond that bridge, waiting for the day I'll come looking for them again.

But I agree with Sauron - I do not think a pet forum to be likely. There are simply too many logistical issues involved and not enough of a demand for justification to conquer those logistics. That's must my opinion.

Having said that - there is nothing preventing members from starting their own pet sub forum under the auspices of the general chit chat heading. All of the thread ideas that I have seen mentioned so far would work there. Simply adopt a practice of putting something like [PETS] in front of thread titles and author the threads that you wish to author. That would allow those interested to scroll through the recent posts and look for that [PETS] tag or use the search engine to find them.

One of our sayings on ATS is "Be the change you wish to see". I suggest doing just that. Make the threads, create the demand, and show that there is high participation in those [PETS] threads. Then? Maybe one day in the future discussion of a pet specific forum would carry more weight. Then there would be proof that it wasn't all lulz cats posts - and that there was serious discussion.

Obviously I am in no position to make promises of any kind about ATS. I am just a moderator here. Not an owner. But I can say that is what I would do if I were passionate about the issue.

Just my .02 cents on the issue. Oh, and if I see [PETS] threads that are applicable to my experiences and thoughts, I will most surely participate in them.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Heff...thanks for weighing in on the topic

However, you may have missed the gist of the thread.

I am suggesting not only a pet forum but a Pet/Animal forum.

In other words...a forum dedicated to all and any creatures great and small that we as humans hold dear to our hearts.

Crypto doesn't cover it and General is just too...general.

Anything from pets to new species, old species, extinct species, weird, wonderful, cat vids, dog tricks, obits, new adoptions, tips, tricks, farm animals, abuse, love, respect, and everything in between.

This is the forum that would be a valuable addition to ATS and appreciated by many members IMO.

Peace



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide
 


Ask and your wish shall be granted!

[PETS] Two new chinchillas born today!

I also opened it up for generic chinchilla discussion.


EDIT TO ADD:

I just couldn't help myself in making another thread!

[PETS] Post your pictures of Man's Best Friend here!
edit on 10/16/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added some text.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench
 


It may not seem like it at the moment,but time DOES heal the hurt,I truly feel sorry for your loss, but at least you got to be with him at the end and i'm sure that he would have crossed over wrapped up in your love for him.
Grief will eventually turn into cherished memories of the time that you had together,plus,you will be reunited some day at Rainbow bridge.



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
reply to post by Hefficide
 


Ask and your wish shall be granted!

[PETS] Two new chinchillas born today!

I also opened it up for generic chinchilla discussion.


EDIT TO ADD:

I just couldn't help myself in making another thread!

[PETS] Post your pictures of Man's Best Friend here!
edit on 10/16/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added some text.


Thank you so much for doing this. A great help.

Can't do it right now but I'll be adding the same link in my signature.


Peace



posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


It's my pleasure! I'm working on a serious animal thread too. I should have it posted in the next couple days.





new topics




 
120
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join