It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I finally got a dog...meet Rosco!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well it was inevitable that while becoming a dog groomer I would get a dog. I have never had my own dog. We had a dog when I was a kid up until I was about 13. I have had cats as an adult but no dogs. I never had a job or work schedule that allowed me to have one honestly til now. I have been working at a grooming shop with my friend for 7 mths and I love it. I never thought I'd be doing this but it's great, I enjoy it and I have always loved animals. It's cute to see each ones personality.

Speaking of personality, my little guy Rosco is quite the character!

I found him on Craigslist. I had been looking for a couple months for a dog and when i saw Rosco I knew i had to meet him. I sent a txt to the number listed and she immediately responded and we set up a date and time to meet up with Rosco. I went a week ago today and brought him home on Monday.
He is the sweetest dog I swear! They said he is a Pekingese/Corgi, the Pekingese I definitely see but not Corgi. I'll admit I'm not all too familiar with Corgi's but the ones I see at work I just don't see it. lol He is so far a little angel. The girl I got him from told me that while she was fostering him he was the sweetest dog and how he liked to snuggle and play. She said he was a very good dog and so far he is. He does have food allergies according to his vet paper work. Luckily enough at work we just started carrying food so I have access to 80 different brands. I have him on a specific diet right now. It will take time to see how it works. If this food works i will keep him on it. If I have to I will make his food weekly. I have been researching homemade dog food and the proper nutrients that are required per serving. It actually comes out to be cheaper to make his food and healthier. Those who know me know I love to cook. I already make my cats food, why not the dog?!
The girl said his allergies were a deterrent for people wanting to adopt him and his underbite, which I absolutely love. They also didn't want to deal with figuring out his food allergies and the cost. I knew for me it wasn't a problem. I could afford the diet he needed and I knew I could take care of him like he needed even grooming wise. He has meds for his itching and goes to my vet next week for a check up and something new for his itching. He is up to date on shots so that is good. He is about 2 and a half and listens very well. He even grabs for his leash when he is ready to go out! He comes to work with me and doesn't fuss at all. He is very well behaved. I couldn't be happier with him. He is a great addition. Our pet family is set. We have a cat and a dog.

He also loves to snuggle! He jumps up on the bed at night and pretty much nose dives into the pillow then rolls around and snuggles up on your shoulder. He is sweet as can be. He loves to roll around on anything lol.

He also like to play and nose dive the pillows on the couch then roll around. He also does this with my comforter and carpet in the bedroom. It's hilarious. I have never seen a dog do this. Anyone else's dog do this? lol

I was so proud of my Buffy. She has done really well since I brought him home. The cat I had yrs ago use to torture dogs that came to our house. lol I always felt so bad! Now Rosco I think is a little scared of her cause she has hissed at him if he gets too close but she will get right up on him and he won't do anything and she doesn't either, she just sniffs him. He seems to be letting her come to him. She didn't seem to mind him watching her last night.

I have my little Princess/Diva kitty, Buffy and my Little Man, Rosco
I think once i leave them alone they will become buds. They both greeted me at the door last night when I got back from the store. I picked up Buffy and put her in my lap and sat down. Rosco came over and started giving out kisses to me and Buffy. He licked her face a few times and she just made this face and didn't flinch. I thought I was gonna get injured lol! She is honestly the best cat I have ever had. The only thing she doesn't like is when i have to shave near her bum at work while she gets a groom

Tell me your dog/cat introduction stories!
edit on 10/4/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
As a former dog owner I'm really glad to see this guy has a good home

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Adorable. The 3 of you look like a match made in heaven.

Des

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
As a former dog owner I'm really glad to see this guy has a good home

Thank you! Yea he will be spoiled with manners

I always preferred to rescue an animal.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
That's not a dog...that's what other dogs have as an hors d'oeuvre!

Good to see the little dude got a home.

Peace

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
That's not a dog...that's what other dogs have as an hors d'oeuvre!

Good to see the little dude got a home.

Peace

Yea I took him to my fiancee's moms house to meet his family dog, a 98lb Boxer lol. That was comical!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
He looks so sweet and cute too. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. It looks like you'll all be very happy together.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thanks for adopting and not buying from a breeder. We need more like you.

We run a cat rescue. It's a drudge and an expensive enterprise (all except an occasional small donation coming out of our own pocket). Luckily it's also extremely gratifying. We're always highly concerned that we find the exact right match when we adopt an animal to someone--and it sounds like you were one of those lucky perfect matches.

I must say he's a cutie, and both of those breeds (Pekingese and Corgi) are very intelligent. He'll make the necessary accommodations with your cat (assuming your cat is willing--and apparently she is). I've seen it happen before.

Looks like a perfect addition to the family. Good luck....

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
About dog food.

I worked for ten years distributing dog food and the things I learnt about what goes into the stuff convinced me that few dogs really have food allergies as such. Yes they might be allergic, but thats because a dog should not be eating that stuff.
One of the supposed higher quality brands was made from all the returned out of date sandwiches that the service stations sell, and cereal.
Cereal is very acidic and they have to add a chemical to to adjust the ph and the chemical is a known carcinogen, yet most dog food has a very high cereal content..
The cheaper the food the more fur and bone.
Mixer, the crunchy stuff that you mix with the "meaty stuff" is the out of date dog biscuits that are returned, thats why it says to only use as part of a balanced diet, it contains nothing of worth to the dog.

If feeding your dog doggy biscuits give him them before his meal, not after because they digest so quickly.

My daughter makes all the food for her dog, he loves it and wont touch the commercial stuff anymore.

All dogs are different so...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Rosco was the name of the dog my family had when I was growing up. As he got older he was put on the back deck and no one paid much attention to him. I felt bad that my family didn't treat him well, and I knew he must not be very happy. One winter night, as a child, I prayed that God would kill him. We woke up the next morning and he had died during the night from what we suspected was a spider bite on the nose.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Oh no, his eyes are glowing and he's baring his teeth.

CALL AN EXORCIST!

DEMON DOG!

Sorry, just joking.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Mblah he's adorable.What a cutey.

After losing my cat buzz after 17 wonderful years(she had a seizure). I waited for along time(about 9 months) before I got another kitten.Buzz and I were very close, she was my princess and losing her was very hard on me.However one day I had to go to a local petsmart to get some stuff for my dog Orion. While there, there was a local rescue group that had some kittens they had just taken in. Apparently the mother had disappeared and the kittens had been found,they thought that the mother had been killed. Any way, we checked them out as they were putting them into the cage they had. A small black and white fur ball saw me at the back of the cage and decided that my fingers needed a good beating.

I went to the door side of the cage and he followed me. so I opened the cage and took him out. He started purring and snuggled down in my arms.Any way long story short, I decided I had waited long enough and we took him home. We named him curious george cause he got into everything he could get to.

I was a bit worried because my dog Orion is a Gordon Setter and is very active and is as curious as a cat. He's about 50 pounds and very tall(long legs). George just about fit into my hand,and I was concerned that he would hurt my little g-man. Much to my suprise when Ori went up to g-man and stuck his face near him,g-man reared up and socked him right in the puss. They've been the best of friends ever since. They play together all the time. They even sleep together.Whenever one of them wants to play they go looking for the other one and it's let the games begin. That's when the craziness begins. They chase each other all over the house.

Of course ori is much faster than the g-man but he lets g-man get away so he can go find him.My fears were unfounded and now we get entertained all the time. I wouldn't have missed this for anything.Ori is just past 3 and g-man is just past one now.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Awe sorry about your kitty. I lost my last kitty before Buffy very suddenly and it was hard on me. She died from an allergic reaction to a flea shampoo. Had I known then what I know now about a certain brand I'd never have used it. I had used it on my two previous cats with no problem but with Cleopatra, Cleo for short, she was apparently allergic.
Buffy is my first cat since and that was 4yrs ago.

Your new little kitty sounds adorable. I like his name, very cute and fitting it sounds. My cat I found via the local SPCA's website. I went to see her the next day. She came right out and started purring and rubbing up on our hands. She has still remained very sweet but don't let that fool ya! She does have some diva in her Princess stroll.
Just about 10mins ago she ran all over the house making all kinds of noise cause I wouldn't let her out on the porch. She throws temper tantrums lol. It was pouring out and I didnt want her out there. It just stopped so she is out there getting her way lol.

I bet it's just cuteness all around in your house with those two! We have a customer at work whose little dog carries their new kitten around the house like its his own. She said he "mothers" it. Too cute! Buffy and Rosco are about the same age. Buffy may be a few months older but we just have a guess on age. Buffy is playful herself so I could see them getting into trouble together. I'm glad they are getting along and showing an interest in each other. Im just really glad Buffy isn't trying to swat at him.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Oh yea some of the ingredients are just gross. A lot of popular brands people think are good are not. I didn;t know this til recently but I also didnt work with dogs til recently and haven;t had one in 20yrs. I have learned alot working with animals and it also gives me something to read into at night.

Ive been reading a lot lately on dog food and dog allergies with food. I found that lamb is hypo-allergenic to dogs and that chicken is the worst for dogs with food allergies. I had him on white fish and sweet potato but he didn't like it and I can't say that I blame him. He is on a dry duck formula and I mix it with fresh ground lamb, just 1 tbs and that is only at night. So far he likes this one. He was more apt to eat this one than either of the other samples I gave him. I will just monitor him now and check his ears and pads. If they start to clear up then I will keep him on that.

I also found out that making the food would be cheaper because the only item I have to buy is the ground lamb really. All the other ingredients I have because they are veggies and the supplements I need can be purchased at the heath food store and will last months because you don;t use that much. And for me time isn't an issue, I love to cook, even if for cats and dogs

I found treats for him today at work. They are grain, wheat and soy free. I will be adding those to my food order next week for him.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I'm glad they are getting along and showing an interest in each other. Im just really glad Buffy isn't trying to swat at him.

I've friended cats and dogs before. The most important thing to remember is to treat them equally. When you pet one, pet the other. If you treat one, treat the other. In the beginning, at the same time. Even when feeding time comes around.

The idea being that each sees with their own eyes that you accept them equally and play no favorites. Remember, your cat was there first so will be watching you closely to see if you love the dog more than her. Same with the dog. During the intro phase of several weeks the dog wants to feel accepted and not "odd dog out". You reinforce their acceptance of each other this way. "Master loves us both the same". Then there is no need for competition or rivalry.

Watch their play together to see if "swatting" is an issue on kitties part. Her weapons are lethal and you want to correct her right away if she does it at all. At first she will need to show her dominance and seniority in the house but that should not develop further.. Go "AHH AHH!". When either shows even a bit of dissent remind them right away. That solidfies your stance that you are aware and watching them and you want them to be friends. Treat them when they comply.

In the beginning don't leave them alone together in the house while away. That could go wrong. Not saying it will, just be careful. Separate them if you have to leave. Usually the cat will play when massah is away. Maybe test them by "fake leaving" a few times to see what they do. Peer through a window or or screen door at them to catch them. Pets are good at hiding their emotions...

Sometimes they wait for you to leave to show who's boss. Sorry if you know this already or it seems over blown. The concern is less if its two cats or two dogs. Also less if they are brought up together. This is a mature cat and dog. A small dog is defenseless against an equal size cat. They both know this.

You can tell if they are friendly or if the cat is "only tolerant". Bidding its time. Hopefully there will be no problems and they get along fine. Happens all the time.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Awwwwww, he's adorable! Your cat is just gorgeous!! It sounds like they will be great friends soon of she is already tolerating him. I know how picky cats can be. LOL

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Yea..ok..

I think i love your new dog..

I have 2 Munchkins and they are awesome..

woot!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
AWW MBLAH!!! Congrats and I LOOOVE his underbite!

Now the question is... clothing. Are you going to get him some jammies and boots for winter??

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Awe thanks

Yea I do exactly what you said. I have had cats but not dogs and I know how cats can be with dogs. Buffy (cat) has been really good. She has raised her hand at him at couple times but I immediately told her to be nice and she stopped. It amazes me how well she actually listens for a cat, yet she has her "diva" moments. lol They don't mind being next to each other, they sit on the porch about a foot from each other. I am greeted by both next to each other at the door when I get home. It's cute. She doesn't like when he drinks her water. I have to work on that. He seems to like her water bowl better lol.

As far as feeding time I kind of feed them at the same time. Rosco gets his first cause it's closest to the kitchen and it keeps him from eating her food. He listens when I say "no" when he tries to eat her food. When Buffy is done I put her food up so he can't eat it. She goes back to her bowl when she wants more and I put it back. It seems to be a method that works so far.

Buffy is a good cat when it comes to her claws unless it's my rug or couch. She never uses them when she swats at you. She basically hits you lol believe me those "hits" are powerful! She gets groomed and she is good for that til you get near the rear then she isn't playing and even then no claws just hitting. She only uses them on my couch and rug! Grrr. That is something that I can't correct.

Thanks for you reply

edited to add: I have left them alone and they are fine. Buffy isn't an aggressive cat and Rosco isn't an aggressive dog. I was worried when I left them the first time but they have been fine. They both greet me side by side at the door. I want to set up my web cam on my Mac one day while I'm gone. lol I'm curious

edit on 10/5/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Awwwwww, he's adorable! Your cat is just gorgeous!! It sounds like they will be great friends soon of she is already tolerating him. I know how picky cats can be. LOL

Thank you NS

Yea I think they will be friends.

Oh yes both my cats I had about 8yrs ago were not fond of dogs. Lily just avoided them and hid from me cause she was mad there was a dog in the house. Jasmine however was the one who liked to do the whole torture the dog act. It wasn't even our dog and he was only there maybe once a month for a weekend. The friend was my bf at the times boss and he went out of town often and we watched his dog. He was a good dog but he was terrified of my cat. I always felt so bad. We tried to keep her upstairs when he was there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join