Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

New Congressional Report Cites Shoddy Intelligence and Privacy Concerns in Probe of US-Based Counter

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

New Congressional Report Cites Shoddy Intelligence and Privacy Concerns in Probe of US-Based Counterterrorism Centers

truth-out.org

By Jason Leopold, Truthout

Investigators for a bipartisan subcommittee on homeland security found that regional intelligence-gathering offices have failed to identify terrorist threats, violated Americans' civil liberties and largely wasted taxpayers' money.

Fusion centers, the centerpiece of one of the nation's domestic counterterrorism programs, came under fire in a blistering congressional report released today by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee on investigations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I looked on the search engine and did not see this posted.Looks like all these Fusion Centers are being used as a way to line DHS and the governors pockets.Funny how this report was released late Wednesday.If congress takes any serious action which I doubt we will see every so-called national security talking head from Janet Napalitano to Tom Ridge come out to defend these Fusion Centers not to mention the DHS employees and contractors who will be attacking any congressman looking into this as being "soft on terrorism."

truth-out.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Thanks for posting this mike.

I'm giving this thread a bump and would like some of our other members to chime in.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
"Shoddy" isn't the right adjective but change a few letters and it would be. In a nutshell these fusion centers cannot account for expenditures, produce no actionable intelligence, distribute alerts so far after the fact as to be useless and trample on the civil liberties and privacy of American citizens.

The inquiry was unable to account for a vast majority of the funds the federal government has spent on fusion centers between 2003 and 2011.

and-

The Senate subcommittee report, while scathing, doesn't call for DHS to stop supporting and funding fusion centers. Rather, the report calls for Congress and DHS to "revisit the statutory basis for DHS support of fusion centers."

Typical government response; it's useless, expensive and does nothing. Keep it going.

Brilliant!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yep and their power was increased.

Government waste is nothing new which is basically what people have thought for a long time has always been true:

The government gets to define "who is a terrorist".
edit on 4-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I am amazed !
some one saying the truth.
quick kill him and suppress the stories.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanx,for the bump Slayer!
Like I said I don't expect any member of congress to do anything with this report.No one wants to look like they are "soft" on terrorism right now.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

More sites (i.e. information) that, I think, shed more light on fusion centers in general.

I posted the FEMA pdf because it defines terrorism. Oddly enough the FEMA pdf defines terrorism in terms that make terrorism contingent on U.S. criminal law, and then the pdf goes on to use this awkward tautology: acts of terrorism include threats of terrorism.

Anyway, here are the sites:

www.fema.gov...
www.dhs.gov...
www.fas.org...

I'm uncertain whether the fas.org pdf is the same report that Congress and DHS are at odds about.

top topics

join