It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, thanks to all you gearheads in BTS....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is my very first BTS post from behind my new Ubuntu OS.

Y'all kept singing the praises of Ubuntu and I was resistant. As an old school 'Net guy I recalled the days when I praised Linux - to be "cool" - but secretly loathed aspects of it. Namely the interface. In the early nineties if one couldn't remember a few hundred strings of code, instinctively... Well Linux could be a nightmare. But this time around? I'm kind of digging it!

Still having a few issues. The "Windows Installer" option did create a dual boot menu for me ( after hours of downloading ) only for me to discover that the only thing my "boot in linux" option did was reboot my machine. So on to try two... Uninstalled that and went for the USB flashdrive option.

Now I've got Ubuntu on a partition, and it's rockin' - But no dual boot menu. So I am having to keep the USB device in the slot for now.

But I'll figure it all out!

So far the whole experience has been good. It's amazing how much more friendly and pretty Firefox is to and in Ubuntu than in Win. The fonts are crisper, and the interactivity is way more involved. Loving it.

So thanks ya buncha geeks - for talking me back into giving Linux another shot.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Gave it a try about six months ago. It had a few probs that I couldnt fix and it switched of the the graphics card fan

I liked the multiple desktop Idea

Amazingly it installed network cards and even my internet dongle without me having to search for drivers. Being new to Ubuntu I was a bit lost when it came to the command line codes that were needed if I downloaded software though.

Installed it into a folder alongside windows and boot menu worked fine.

Just too many nigly bits and wasnt prepared to go through the learning process for something that wasnt really offering me any more then XP.
edit on 4-10-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hi Heff,

I am coming to you right now from an Knoppix 7 jump drive that I set up earlier today. It is a Debian based OS like Ubuntu, but not really designed to be installed to HDD. It is totally disposable, if I wish it to be.

Anyway, I was curious about what you wrote here...

Now I've got Ubuntu on a partition, and it's rockin' - But no dual boot menu. So I am having to keep the USB device in the slot for now.

So it sounds like you installed to the partition from the usb drive. But since it likely did not set up GRUB (a bootloader) or what have you, you are not really able to start the OS on the partition, and you are coming to us from the usb drive. Is that it?

Also, I noticed several threads over the last several months about infosec and protecting ones self online that all advocated Linux. Is that why you were compelled to switch?

If so, I may be able to help you narrow your 'research' in terms of Linux 'distros'.

X.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

you sucked me in with the term "gearheads" and talk nothin' but computer stuff.......

what about 1:94 heads, M-22 rock crushers (wide box or close ratio) or 4-bolt mains??
I'm so confused!!
(I'll skip the flathead stuff, ahhhhh flatheads, me likkee!!)

P.S. thank god DOS is a thing of the past

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

My motive wasn't privacy really. I take the alternative view on that subject. In fact I am pondering a thread on the notion. Since anonymity is a myth anyway - IE, go ahead and hide behind nine proxies.... they still all transfer packets and keep logs. Logs that can be followed if you have enough "pull" - so my approach is the opposite. I GLUT the information stream with my info.

Thinks about CSI.. they always catch the guy because of ONE fingerprint or ONE hair. Now imagine if we all just went around touching as much as we could and leaving as many hairs as we can behind! CSI would then be stuck going "Well... we've narrowed it down to being one of eight thousand possible suspects".

Apply that to packets and info. That's my approach.

Anyhoo. Regarding GRUB. It ran and it runs when I boot - but I am pretty sure I misconfigured it or it somehow ran out of sequence during install. My project for tonight is to address that issue.

If there are really good portable versions out there with a LOT of encryption and will fit on a USB stick... I would be interested in a heads up! Never know when one might need to post something from a public place - on a disposable device.

Thanks man!

~Heff

ETA: Oh, why I decided to try Ubuntu? Win was starting to slow down on me as browsers get more and more complex. My system is a bit old and the developers are now assuming everyone has 32 gigs of RAM. I do not.

edit on 10/4/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Xoanon

My motive wasn't privacy really. I take the alternative view on that subject. In fact I am pondering a thread on the notion. Since anonymity is a myth anyway - IE, go ahead and hide behind nine proxies.... they still all transfer packets and keep logs. Logs that can be followed if you have enough "pull" - so my approach is the opposite. I GLUT the information stream with my info.

Right, I get you. I personally did go through a period of pretty extreme superstition around all this stuff, but it was just because I really did not understand anything at all about it. That period of superstition was preceded by a period of completely not giving a rat's ass about infosec at all. Now, i am still a little superstitious but I am coming out of the woods, little by little. The learning curve on CS and IT is pretty rough if a person has ignored it most of their adult life.

If there are really good portable versions out there with a LOT of encryption and will fit on a USB stick... I would be interested in a heads up! Never know when one might need to post something from a public place - on a disposable device.

Well, there are lots of them. But that is not really about the distro as much as it is about the extensibility of Linux. By disposable, I really just meant that the drive can be reformatted without really worrying about transferring a bunch of files. Also in the sense that it is just so fundamentally gross out there in web-land that I don't see the point in dragging my 'nice' Windows OS through the gutter.

But since you mention it. There is one distro in particular that fits exactly what you are describing. I have not booted it up yet, mainly because I just don't see the point, considering I could build a more secure usb system out of Tiny Core. But maybe you can give it a whirl once you get that usb drive freed up...

Lightweight Portable Security

Lightweight Portable Security (LPS) is a Linux-based live CD with a goal of allowing users to work on a computer without the risk of exposing their credentials and private data to malware, key loggers and other Internet-era ills.

It includes a minimal set of applications and utilities, such as the Firefox web browser or an encryption wizard for encrypting and decrypting personal files.

The live CD is a product produced by the United States of America's Department of Defence and is part of that organization's Software Protection Initiative.

Interesting, huh?

Enjoy, Linuxland, man, it's so much fun.

X.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Welcome to the freedom of open source software. Ubuntu was my fist Linux OS. I went to my Internet Provider to pay the bill, and asked where is the Linux guy? They pointed to the rear, and I waked back there. "You the Linux guru"? I asked? "Guess so," he replied. "Tell me everything you know about running Linux," I asked. He reached out, took a CD in an envelope, and handed it to me. It was Ubuntu 5.04. I installed it, and have been running Linux exclusively ever since. I hopped around quite a bit, still do on occasion when bored, but Fedora is my OS now, and has been for more than a few years. I am not much on deb based software, I guess, I prefer rpm packaging.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well, even though I am posting this from Win right now, I do have the Ubuntu probs sorted. Basically put - the first time I installed via the Win installer I forgot to mount a partition for Ubuntu... been many years since I even had to say the word "partition" in a sentence, so it took me a minute to catch on.

From what I can gather from my second attempt... I DID create a partition, but accidentally set the USB memory stick as the boot for it. But this attempt DID create a partition.

So, third time around, formatted said partition, used the Win install approach and it's all good now. I've reverted to Win for the night because of fatigue and the need to update a LOT of the things in Ubuntu and just don''t feel like doing it right now.

Did run into one problem, however, last night that drove me up a wall. In Win if a process hangs, it's Ctrl-alt-del and instant control. Well Firefox hung on me in Ubuntu and I was just flat lost.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Updating this:

Ubuntu and my computer never learned to get along. Ubuntu lagged horribly, froze up constantly, and the interface ( designed for tablets and not desktops ) drove me up a wall.

I fell out of the habit of using it at all - and eventually simply reformatted the partition.

Well, last night I started wanting something better than Windows again, and this time decided to go with popular opinion - downloading Mint - Maya.

This could be love! Everything is working - and working amazingly well ( That is after the pain of downloading 448 rather slow updates! )

What an AWESOME operating system! This is really something I can sink my teeth into.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

I know! I got faked out too.

top topics

join