It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California mom jailed for school-skipping kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Mom jailed for letting her kids stay home

Lorraine Cuevas, 34, is currently serving a 180-day jail stint after authority's in Hanford, California busted the mother of two for keeping her school-age children at the home more often that the law permits

What wrong with the world today?!?! When a mom gets more jail time than an armed robber for letting her kids stay home from school you know our civilization is doomed to destroy itself. Jeezzzz! Who passes those laws. I guess those kids will get indoctrinated weither their mom likes it or not.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I would think having the mother locked up and away from the children for that amount of time would be just as harmful if not more so than missing school days. Kids need to be in school, and I do think that there is a point where the govt. should step in but this seems a bit much.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm on the fence about it- however- where there are truant children, there are usually parents who don't give a rip. Don't fool yourself, mom wasn't having them sitting at home doing hooked on phonics.

I had a student last year who was truant. His dad was in and out of jail. His mom was some kind of n'eer do well drug addict. He'd stay home some days. Other days, he would act like he was going to school and then got lost from the bus to the entrance of the school. Or, he would intentionally cause issues in another teacher's class so he could get out of class, wander the halls, and leave out the door. He got a girl pregnant (also a truancy case) and was eventually caught breaking and entering while he was supposed to be in school.

If you called either parent, dad would answer and wax bitter about mom, while mom just wouldn't pick up the phone or ever return your calls. They were useless. The kid was a problem, but only because his parents were pathetic pieces of refuse. He was angry at both of them and even told us he was doing it for attention. He had given up on himself at thirteen.

So, depending on the situation, I guess I'm all for parents being held accountable.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That necessitates a fine not jail time. If I were in her position I would make such a stink about this it wouldn't even be funny. 6 months in jail that's an odscene amount of time. I'm all for education but c'mon.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I'm thinking they should have gave her the chair.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

That I do understand, but 6 months jail time... Seems way too high. Even a mother said it was harsh as she suggested the sentence. Why suggest it then?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

180 days in jail is ridiculous, BUT she did keep her children home from school for 116 days! A typical school year is only about 180 days.

Unfortunately, agree or not with the truancy law (which IMHO is so harsh it actually defeats it's purpose by punishing the taxpayer) she is the minor childs parent/gaurdian and is therefore liable and responsible for any action they do.

From the article:

“It's a process that takes months to get to this point. On average we're making 15-20 calls in dealing with these issues,” Superintendent Tim Bowers of Kings County Schools tells local network KMPH. Speaking to the New York Daily News, Bowers adds that there are several steps the school takes before it decides to seek police action.

As parent in California with a 2nd grader, I honestly have to get behind that quote though. Most schools work with the parent and not against them. If my daughter misses one day of school and I forget to call and excuse it, I get daily messages from them on my cell, home and work numbers, and thats just one day, this woman went 116!

This woman had other options. If it was that difficult to get her children to school, California has several other programs. Independent studies, home schooling, and I believe some schools even do internet studies now.

The punishment was a bit harsh, but do I feel bad for this woman? No. I feel bad for her kids who are being taught that not taking any responsibility is an acceptable lifestyle.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
For every day, that these children miss, their school district doesn't get funding for them. Gotta keep those teacher's unions happy and make an example out of somebody.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

Yea, great reasoning there teach.

I missed many days from middle and high school. Never was truant, and never failed a grade.

The material was ridiculously easy, and I couldn't stand to be there.

My parents were both very concerned with my issues, but there was no damned way they could tell me otherwise when I saw no reason in their words.

I didn't stay home, I was a hoodlum.

This does nothing for the kid. It's just dumb.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
For every day, that these children miss, their school district doesn't get funding for them. Gotta keep those teacher's unions happy and make an example out of somebody.

Your first sentence is true. Your second sentence has nothing to do with anything.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
if she had a brain she would have filed home schooling papers

she's probably a druggie

kids will be wards of the state soon

sad

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

How about, for every day these kids miss, they fall further and further behind? At the end of the school year, they'll be socially promoted to the next grade and the cycle continues. They'll end up dropping out of high school and most likely on government assistance.

So I guess the question is, pay teachers to teach now, or support the masses of uneducated later?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by moniesisfun
reply to post by LeSigh

I missed many days from middle and high school. Never was truant, and never failed a grade.

My parents were both very concerned with my issues, but there was no damned way they could tell me otherwise when I saw no reason in their words.

The story isn't about you. My reasoning is sound on that particular situation. Jail time should be situational. Sometimes, the parents really are the problem. Doing nothing does nothing for the kid either.

Thank God I'm no longer a teacher. It's not worth it. Like heck I would retire from doing that. I think there should be a mandatory two year teaching stint for every college graduate in this country. Then people would legitimately earn the right to criticize what teachers do or don't do. Or, more accurately, they would learn what teachers are allowed and not allowed to do and their eyes would be opened. They would then have to deny ignorance.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

“It's a process that takes months to get to this point. On average we're making 15-20 calls in dealing with these issues,” Superintendent Tim Bowers of Kings County Schools tells local network KMPH. Speaking to the New York Daily News, Bowers adds that there are several steps the school takes before it decides to seek police action. "Part of the attendance review process dictates that we reach out to parents," Bowers says. "[The process includes] phone calls and letters asking why the children are not in school. We also schedule hearings where we invite the children's parents to come to talk to us about it. All of those steps were taken in this case."

Yeah, I think she had other options. 116 days is ridiculous. She is most likely not a fit parent/guardian. It's sad for the kids, but i may be better in the long run.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

Originally posted by moniesisfun
reply to post by LeSigh

The story isn't about you. My reasoning is sound on that particular situation. Jail time should be situational. Sometimes, the parents really are the problem. Doing nothing does nothing for the kid either.

Thank God I'm no longer a teacher. It's not worth it. Like heck I would retire from doing that. I think there should be a mandatory two year teaching stint for every college graduate in this country. Then people would legitimately earn the right to criticize what teachers do or don't do. Or, more accurately, they would learn what teachers are allowed and not allowed to do and their eyes would be opened. They would then have to deny ignorance.

I wish I could applaud you for this post.

Teaching is.....hell just lately. I love my students, but it's taking a real toll on my happiness and health. Just today I had a mother curse me out because her son didn't get off the bus where he was supposed to...he decided to go to a friends house. Her suggestion? Teachers should have to ride the bus to make sure the kids get off at the right spot. Because its simply too much to ask an eight year old to get off at the right stop.

Sorry, everyone, for my off topic rant. But I feel better now.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I wish I could applaud you for this post.

Teaching is.....hell just lately. I love my students, but it's taking a real toll on my happiness and health. Just today I had a mother curse me out because her son didn't get off the bus where he was supposed to...he decided to go to a friends house. Her suggestion? Teachers should have to ride the bus to make sure the kids get off at the right spot. Because its simply too much to ask an eight year old to get off at the right stop.

Sorry, everyone, for my off topic rant. But I feel better now.

Major hugs your way. Believe me, I understand. I loved my students too. We looped, so I had the kids for three years in a row. You'd really get to know them and their parents- and the majority were great. But...two weeks ago a kid brought a gun to the school I taught at. All I could think was that I was glad I missed that drama. It's that small percentage that ruin it all.

Bus referrals were getting so bad in my school last year that they offered us the opportunity to make our daily rate if two volunteers would ride on the two biggest problem buses to and from school with the kids.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

I criticized your reasoning on this particular matter, which is far from sound, but I'll leave it be.

I didn't criticize your teaching, and am glad you left. Good for you.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I am not quite surprised... When I was in high school, I used to skip a lot. I skipped to the point where I eventually got caught and ended up having to go to court. I saw a man named Judge Peyton ( Happens to be in the Guinness book of World records for being voted in as the worlds youngest Judge... He was first voted in at age 18).

Anyway, my mom did everything she could to try and get me to go to school. I was an idiot teenager and often would just flat out refuse. she even called the cops on me...But the cops never came out, because my school was in the next city and my town did not have a high school... They had no jurisdiction, is what they said....

The judge tried to fine my mom $500 dollars for not making me go to school. I spoke up though and the school backed her up as well and said that she really did everything in her power to make me go...But it's not like she could throw me over her shoulder and drag me to school....

Luckily this judge dropped the fine and I was the one that got punished ( 20 hours of community service...)

I can understand the need to punish the parents in SOME cases... If the parent is simply allowing the kid to skip.... Well, they are a party to the crime and in a way, I would call such an action neglect.

But, such punishment should be handed out only after examining the individual case and seeing if it would be appropriate or not... My judge did not...he just assumed my mom was not doing everything she could to try and make me go...

I am not sure if I agree with jail time for allowing your kid to skip....Or rather...Such a long sentence...But I do think some punishment needs to take place if this is what she did...
edit on 4-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

That's no problem at all. We all need to hear this stuff. I have a couple of friends that teach and the work load sometimes seems pretty crazy. I know it takes it's toll but keep your chin up, ignorant parents like those that ripped on you are not worth your one of you tears.
edit on 4-10-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
People are confusing two separate crimes.

Truancy is a crime with which the children are charged. It is a status crime and falls solely on the child. It is when the child is not attending school and without the knowledge and approval of the parent.

The crime of Educational Neglect is when a parent knows their child is not attending school as required (by allowing them to stay home, failure to enroll them and having no alternative program approved) and fails to make/take any corrective measures to remedy the behavior.

At least that is what it is in Missouri.

The mother is guilty of Educational Neglect the children are guilty of nothing as they are minors and acting with the approval and consent of their parent.

I am a poor parent in this regard as I allow my child to play hooky every once in a while; the difference is my kid is #2 in her class with a 3.98 GPA. It speaks very poorly for the school she can miss the maximum amount of days in a term to receive credit and still is not challenged in any way by the course material. Perhaps if it was more challenging and engaging she'd enjoy being there every day.

However, in High School they are reading aloud novels in class because they haven't enough copies of the books to send home for self reading followed by class room discussion. Boooring!

Yet the school just spent thousands of dollars on a student lounge with 6 large flat screens and a retro 50's dinner look for the kids to enjoy while they eat lunch from an ala carte restaurant style menu.

Perhaps if we stuck to educational materials and less of the happy feel good crap the kids would feel it challenging/engaging enough to want to be there.

In this rural small school there is no such thing an AP class. For the price of the recent athletic field upgrades and the lunch room debacle they could have hired an AP coordinator for directed self study in across several disciplines. Yet it seems they want to have looks over substance. A common governmental theme.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join