California Gas Stations Begin to Shut on Record-High Prices

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by campanionator

I'm sure they are some people reaping the benefits but it's not The People.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The company hasn’t been able to find enough unbranded summer-grade

Emphasis mine

The oil companies own the oil and the gas stations. The blame IMO lays squarely on their shoulders.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RottenBeauty

Emphasis mine

The oil companies own the oil and the gas stations. The blame IMO lays squarely on their shoulders.

Oil companies don't own gas stations.
Costco certainly isn't owned by any of the oil companies.

Gas stations are independently owned. They contract gas from certain oil companies.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

My fault for not being more explicit in my meaning.

A lot of those named gas stations you see (Mobil, Exxon, BP, Shell) are franchises and obligated to buy the franchisors gas. Some are owned by the oil companies though.
Places like Costco, and others are independently owned and operated and have to struggle to find their own unbranded gas.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Create a cheap alternative fuel and you will see prices drop like a rock.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia unplugged their currency from the US Dollar, and then said they weren't accepting US dollars to get their oil anymore.

If America's out of other people's currency to give to the Saudi's....no more oil from them.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They most certainly are price gouging. I walk past a gas station while walking the dogs and everyday the price is up and down, up and down. I thought oil was sold in futures and the price was already fixed 3 months in advance?

The last three days, the gas station I walk the dogs past went from 4.25 down to 4.15 up to 4.45. In 3 days! My dad and I went out to lunch the other day and i pointed it out to him and he flipped. He usually gets gas by my house because it's cheaper than by his place.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sawgunn69

I know someone that ran a gas station several years ago. Whenever one station in the area changed their prices, the others would match them quickly. They would notify the other stations that they were changing their prices, but they didn't consult.

Another person I know said that in the case of the town I lived in, where one person owned most of the stations in town, if their station in a town nearby paid more for their fuel delivery, then the prices in our town went up immediately, even though they weren't getting their delivery for several days after the other station did.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
My wife and I just moved from So CA, in part because of things like the gas prices.

Moved to an area with good public transportation, and made sure our house was a block form the nearest station, just so we wouldnt be a slave to the car and gas prices anymore.

Been a month of taking the MAX and I gotta say its worth the extra commute not to deal with the BS of gas prices.

No to mention driving in downtown portland is a friggin nightmare.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

www.tradesignalonline.com...

Valero Energy Corp. (VLO) said Thursday it temporarily stopped selling gasoline in California's wholesale market as a string of refinery outages resulted in a regional gasoline shortage.

The lack of gasoline has pushed California's wholesale, or spot, prices of $4.10 a gallon Thursday, a 39% increase from Aug. 6, the day an explosion shut down Chevron Corp.'s (CVX) 245,000 barrel-a-day refinery in Richmond. Those prices don't include taxes, transportation and other fees, which typically add another 70 cents or more before the gas reaches the pump.

Gasoline supplies were further crimped by a shortage of crude, the feedstock of gasoline, in one part of California. Chevron shut down of an 85,000-barrel-a-day pipeline that ships crude oil from the San Joaquin Valley to refineries in the San Francisco Bay area on Sept. 19 after organic chloride was found in some of the oil put in the pipeline.

www.vcstar.com...

Gas prices in Southern California have soared to record levels this week, and experts say they'll continue to rise because of a shortage of "summer grade" gasoline.

"The situation in California is dire," said Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com.

The California Environmental Protection Agency's Air Resources Board is considering issuing a waiver to allow gas stations in California to start using "winter grade" gasoline early.

He said every transition period, from one kind of gasoline blend to another makes California vulnerable to shortages as refineries switch production.

The current situation has been exacerbated by a power outage at a refinery in Torrance on Monday that halted production. It follows a power outage and weeklong shutdown at a refinery in Wilmington in mid-September.

"It's a situation that California is very vulnerable to because it has a very complicated regulatory framework for fuels, and its recipe for gasoline is unique to this state."
I found these articles helpful.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Good find

Now we have a clear explanation !

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
still not as expensive as it was LAST MONTH and quite a few preceding months where the price had roamed around and above the $1.30/LITER mark, that is $4.94/gal, (1 us gal=3.79 liters), in Toronto, and it's apparently cheaper there than most of Canada apparently.

yes we are getting ripped off and the money doesn't even go to the gas stations but mainly split between the gas companies and government (wonder why the government doesn't seem to care). and every time their is POSSIBLE problems in the mid east, a storm etc. the price goes up, and up. it is a huge scam. but hey driving is still cheaper than taking the bus in the Toronto area. especially for short trips and outside TTC territory, (i used to save about $20/week and 5 hours a day driving a VAN to work).

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

www.vcstar.com...

Gas prices in Southern California have soared to record levels this week, and experts say they'll continue to rise because of a shortage of "summer grade" gasoline.

"The situation in California is dire," said Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com.

The California Environmental Protection Agency's Air Resources Board is considering issuing a waiver to allow gas stations in California to start using "winter grade" gasoline early.

He said every transition period, from one kind of gasoline blend to another makes California vulnerable to shortages as refineries switch production.

The current situation has been exacerbated by a power outage at a refinery in Torrance on Monday that halted production. It follows a power outage and weeklong shutdown at a refinery in Wilmington in mid-September.

"It's a situation that California is very vulnerable to because it has a very complicated regulatory framework for fuels, and its recipe for gasoline is unique to this state."
I found these articles helpful.

i found this article of particular interest, thanks for sharing. yet another SCAM. just wait till you try that wonderful "winter gas", i used to be able to tell when they put out the winter gas in Ontario by the fact that in all of the family vehicles we owned we always got less mileage as soon as they put it out. can't remember which was worse mileage winter gas or high octain gas.

high octain gas, yet ANOTHER SCAM they push it as better for your car, and it is provided your car is set up for high performance (those street racer types), or old junk piles that ping and knock. even the GMC DEALER told a group of new buyers NOT TO USE high octain gas in their vehicles, but if we really wanted to they would gladly reset the tuning of the engine to use it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Water,Fuel,Electricty.... they have us by the #####'s like it or not... they will not ease up until its $5.00 per gal

edit on 10/5/2012 by Shdak because: extra comment

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
reply to post by grey580

Create a cheap alternative fuel and you will see yourself get shot in the head and dumped in some uncapped well never to be seen again . . . .

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Funny how things have changed. Bush got blamed for high gas prices by the media, Democrats and Obama. Now Obama actually says he wants high gas prices and people avoid blaming Obama. It blows my freakin mind.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
Water,Fuel,Electricty.... they have us by the #####'s like it or not... they will not ease up until its $5.00 per gal

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Originally posted by RottenBeauty

Emphasis mine

Oil companies don't own gas stations.
Costco certainly isn't owned by any of the oil companies.

Gas stations are independently owned. They contract gas from certain oil companies.

even the stations that are not owned by the gas companies (as most are now in Ontario), they still have to toe the line and raise just like everyone else or guess what, they don't get any more gas to sell. i know at least of a couple stations this happened to, and because of zonage a lot either become empty lots or the major companies take over. amusingly there are two petro cans in Toronto separated by a small body shop
, the penalty for the one station dropping the price down low in the middle of the night.

not only that the way things work is the gas companies call all the stations after one another and TELL the stations what they WILL CHARGE. i think Costco is now around in Toronto but i figure even tho they might be SLIGHTLY cheaper that they still have to obey. i know wal-mart tried to open up their own stations and were shot down by the gas companies.
and yet the government insists that there is no price fixing going on, (the other winner from high gas prices go figure).

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The state of California has always been able to take a bad situation and make it worse. A big part of that is the insistence on having different grades and blends of gasoline for different parts of the country just to keep cars with different standards running.

California emission standards that get an extra fraction of a percent of co2 out of the exhaust require a different blend of fuel from most of the country. No matter that the additional infintesimal amount of co2 sequestering is lost at the refinery by the use of more energy in refining.

Same silly crap happens with electricity prices. California shuts down all of their plants and expects someone else to generate it for them. Then they fuss when it costs more to transmit.

No real news here.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
reply to post by grey580

It is near impossible to do so.
The EPA regulations and impact fees are prohibitive.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join