It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printing -- Please Shut Up And Take My Money!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

You are only limited by the plans you have made.

You don't have to use their designs, there are MANY places on the internet where people build 3D model instructions for the software that you can then use to print objects.

They include 25 designs with the purchase and the material components would be bought from them ( unless you have an alternate source) but the cost is cheap. At least from what I can gather so far.

ETA: The design software included with this is pretty up to snuff as well from what I've been reading. Very similar to other 3D modeling programs. You can also convert and load your own from other software as well.

So that's about as open source as it gets for a consumer grade product like this.

~Tenth
edit on 10/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wow, thanks.

Beautiful... I'm in graphical arts, and I always wanted to do sculptures without doing the job of sculpting. I wish I had one of these.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This was reviewed in the BBC science magazine FOCUS they said how amazing it was and easy to use.I think soon we will be able to visit local shops to print many different products rather than importing them from abroad in metal or plastic.This is fairly cheap soon we'll all have one.This will be revolutionary some manufacturers must be very worried no amount of cheap labour will be able to compete with these machines.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Someday in distant future we step inside 3d printer, make selection do we want to have new face, bigger boobs, new pancreas or kidneys etc and while we stand there these printers do the job and renew us... immortality till the brains shuts down

One night you and your spouse get to sleep and in the morning there is someone else than your spouse having breakfast with you.. gender is no longer the issue ..grins

But now i also could use it multiple things, having a 8 years old around who is always in need of toys. And i love miniatures it could be awesome to have some of my modeling work in real

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Build a robot to build your 3d printers.

I have been thinking about getting a reprap for a good year now but I am holding off for technology to advance and prices to drop a little.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Funny you say that. I have two ReRaps, one of which I printed the parts from the first one I built

But the open source ones like I have leave a lot to be desired. Can't get the detail fine enough for miniatures and the materials are a hassle to buy and work with.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to purchase a new one just as inexpensively as you can get a regular paper printer. Cheaper than replacing the ink in some cases..... ahhh the possibilities...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Ugh. I forgot everything about resolution issues... Can't do art without fine resolution.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Yeah, it is.

This one I'm getting though linked the OP should do the work really well.

From what I can see online for those who have them, they are printing D&D miniatures with fine enough detail for eye patches and such.

Even then that stuff is easily carved if the basic model is well printed.

www.engadget.com...

That's what I'm talking about, fine enough detail for removable parts?

~Tenth
edit on 10/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Oh? Cool, it seems the technology is more refined than I though. I can't wait for the prices to go down in the future.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What's the standard warranty on such items in the U.S? I see that these guys won't give you your money back if it breaks, but will repair it for you within 90 days of purchase. WOW, 90 days. They're really confident in the durability of their device.

For 1200 dollars or whatever it is, I want a 2 year warranty on that or it's a no buy.

3D printing is still in it's infancy. I can see myself buying one in the future but it's got a long way to go until it's up to a standard that I'd be willing to drop over $1000 on.
edit on 4-10-2012 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I bet all the copyright lawyers out there are just drooling while waiting for advancements in the technology.

“We’ll get more exciting materials, we’ll get a mix-up of materials. We can already print semiconductors, and one printer prototype I know can already print batteries — if you have batteries and semiconductors, you have devices.”

Article

edit on 4-10-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

lol How can somebody "accidentally" print NBC's peacock? It comes down to the same as in 2-d printing.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
I bet all the copyright lawyers out there are just drooling while waiting for advancements in the technology.

I believe there will be fair use allowed...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

well for one, your average hardware store can now afford one, and so produce all those things duct tape would have fixed in the past. I can see people going to a hardware stores and either finding what they were looking for or alternately making it. That sort business will become very profitable until people can afford to have one of these things. It may bring back the small hardware store.....

I see 3rd world countries improving living conditions as materials become more varied and affordable for 3d printing. They will have better homes, and amenities.

I see a new golden age of inventors, and gadgets. I also see in a couple more years a upspring of physicists. Understanding how the world works is better done with tools that employ its laws. Understanding those laws and our universe will become easier as people experiment with ideas in physical form.

I see childhoods of imagination killing toys being replaced with kids exploring their imagination to create things to entertain themselves.

In short I see this as the dawn of the creators, the dawn of the age of engineers in every home, and the start of great things.

These tools will change the way we look at the world. It will make our minds more physically expressible and so our ideas grander and more ambitious.

edit on 4-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

Warranty isn't really an issue. The component parts are easily fixed by locals who work in computers.

Really it's just the more fine parts, like the tubing and cartridges you'd have to send to them.

I am surprised by the warranty though, that's pretty short...

I'll have to call and ask.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Sorry, I misused the word copyright.

I meant patents, designs, intellectual property and product licensing... those lawyers. I think they're all the same folks anyway

People who have created something don't typically want people copying their work for free.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

You'll find most people in this industry don't believe in intellectual property and would happily license this stuff for free.

Hell even this company, has a free program where they pay you for your own designs.

Just look online for 3D printing files; the resources are huge and all for free.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I'm thinking more of people scanning things or gaining designs to protected works, and then printing them with this technology. Take an artist like Wyland who makes limited edition sculptures that sell for thousands of dollars. He wouldn't be too happy with people scanning them and making them available for 3d printers. I'm sure there are better examples, but that's the point I'm making.

I think as the tech advances and get's cheaper in the future, this might be an issue. Think Napster for 3D printing.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
seems everyone's pushing towards a make it yourself world

www.wired.co.uk...

and jay leno uses a 3d printer to replace rusty parts.

www.jaylenosgarage.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join