It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printing -- Please Shut Up And Take My Money!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So I've built a few 3D printers over the last couple of years from RepRap.

They work great, but not fully as functional as I wanted. Most 3D printer kids are thousands and thousands of dollars, take a ridiculous ammount of room and the material components are difficult to find & expensive.

Well no more.

cubify.com...

Apparently these people will get you a 3d printer which does 5.5x5.5x5.5 inche prints for 1200$.

That is literally amazing. I've not found a better alternative. Now although this reads like a commercial it isn't, I don't encourage you purchase anything you don't really need.

In this case, as the title suggest for me personally, they can just take my money.

A bigger topic here is how 3D printing may bring back manufacturing to countries who do not have it. Making small things is a big business and there are many many ideas I've seen regarding small businesses and 3D printing for a variety of things.

Like table top game miniatures for example. Games Workshop charges an arm and a leg for any of their models. With this software and hardware, you could build your own, much cheaper and to your own tastes as opposed to their standard modeling.

Thoughts ATS?

`Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If I had the money to buy one, I would in an istant. I have so many ideas. Being a graphics designer and having played quite abit with Anim8or (3D modeling freeware), the possibilities for miniature projects are endless. Man I'd love to get my hands on that.
edit on 4-10-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Definitely on the top of my list. This would be great to boost small business and manufacturing. I do a little 3d modeling so I should be able to get in on the ground floor. Great stock to buy also, but hopefully not to many ATS people will drive up stocks because I posted that.

Also macworld a few months ago did on a 3d printer for about the same price. Not sure if it was the same one in your post but for the price it looks like a winner.
edit on 4-10-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Looks like a deal and seems to make quality printing too not like many which looks like they were carved by 3 years old.
Some have printed working guns with 3d printers and i kinda believe there will be some sort of restrictions on these devices on some point.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have often wished to get into it. Im no smart person or anything but I do make a lot of my own stuff like crafting or steampunk stuff and I can think of a million and one reasons for a 3d printer, not just the lower stock of an assault rifle

www.extremetech.com...

This is awesome and now nearly affordable for some more affluent and ambitious than myself but for now its still somehow by hand for me.

Good luck if you can get it and post some things you have done with yours if you dont mind, I always love to see the possibilities.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

These personal kits aren't fabricated to work with metals and such so that's not a worry with personal 3D printing yet.

Those full kits require auto cad and usually run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

But I agree they'll be looking into making restrictions once those platforms are available cheap to your regular consumer.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A good friend of mine, and I, will be hitting a store in the next couple of weeks that sells them. One of his businesses is manufacturing dolls and toys and he firmly believes that production of certain toys can be done by these things so he wants to snag one to play with and see what it can do.

He said he's been researching the hell out of these things and there's a lot of money going into the research of 3d printing things like organs and food.

Apparently, using stem cells, they think they can get me that missing heart.

Edited to add; We've got Makerbot and Shapeways here. Both seem pretty cool and, from what I've read, Makerbot has printers in the $1,000 to $2,000 range
edit on 4-10-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

Make a few bump slide fire stocks and sell them and you already made your money back!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I read recently about 3D printing of organs..

www.bbc.com...

It seems more we research the more possibilities are coming up for this technology. Hopefully it also decreases the cost of organ transplants for the regular guy.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That would be a SWEET printer to own!
I would be making all kinds of dragons and freaky art with it

Price tag is beyond me, but that is something I would love to own!
Maybe it will just fall into my lap somehow someday if I focus really hard

*focus*

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Oh my! This thing is super cool, I would love to have a really huge 3d printer though.

Why you ask? Well so I can have an adult sized Big Wheel. Yes I admit to that, but I know some of you have to have a nostalgia tingle when you picture an adult sized Big Wheel.

edit: They actually make! bigwheelrally.com...
edit on 4-10-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

link   

I read recently about 3D printing of organs..

www.bbc.com...

It seems more we research the more possibilities are coming up for this technology. Hopefully it also decreases the cost of organ transplants for the regular guy.

~Tenth

Thats the grey area right there. Sell one of those things on the market and the FDA will get involved right away.

link   

I am not very familiar with this 3d printing. What material does it print out? I assume it's plastic; but then how does the thing make it stick the plastic particles together?

Congrats for buying one.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Oh I don't think that tech will be available for you to use personally for many many decades. But if the tech was available to hospitals, at least in major areas it would decrease cost IMO on the simple basis that the organs would be available in a short periods of time.

Although it does seem like it would end up like the Repo Men movie.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

yeah the FDA will just say that they didnt approve it and it was sold and deemed unsafe.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

it's all seems culled from a cheesy 50's sci fi flick. Makes you wonder what our kids will have that we fictionally created.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but this particular printer that the OP has linked to has already put some restrictions in place. See here: cubify.com...

Notice that it says that it includes 4 projectiles. Hmmm, does that mean that the printer will only print what you've ordered..and then if you want more you need to pay again? That's what it looks like to me..maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

If I was looking for a 3D printer, I'd be looking for something that's more open. If I buy a slingshot, I want to be able to print unlimited projectiles.

I think that this is a small glimpse into the future of licensing and DRM in the world of 3D printing, and how it's inevitable that there will be a world of print piracy out there much like we have now for movies, games, tv shows etc.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Depending on what kind of hardware you have, there are multiple materials and multiple different ways of 'printing'.

Here's a good page for info:

en.wikipedia.org...

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
take my money
i want one to,
i want to print the parts to make a mini C&C machine lol

xploder

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
it's all seems culled from a cheesy 50's sci fi flick. Makes you wonder what our kids will have that we fictionally created.

PrintAKid - Hasbro™ ?

In time, no doubt, the way things seem to be going technology-wise and whatnot.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join