It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employment Photograph Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I can't find anything relevant on Google and I'm at a loss here. So, I'm throwing my question out to you all in hopes there are some people with experience that can guide me.

I'm a recent graduate with a degree in teaching. I was not hired on this school year because honestly, there are no jobs available. Most schools are cutting teachers around here, not hiring them. And the ones hiring are facing hundreds of teachers vying for one position. I do have an option of going to the city, but that school district just lost their accreditation, and honestly, I don't want to be involved in that mess my first year of teaching. Rant, sorry.

So, I have been looking for ways to make myself stand out a little. Teachers have been making websites that showcase their abilities, and in fact we had to make one in my last semester of school. I'm revisiting this and redoing my website and I need a picture of myself for the homepage.

My question is, what are some tips on taking a professional employment photo. I need to know what kind of clothing, what kind of background, etc. I need something that says friendly and approachable, yet professional at the same time. I'm not an extremely personable and open person with adults. With kids, it is a different story. I am trying to show myself in a different light on the website.

I plan on doing these on my own with my husbands help because we're broke.

Anyone have a great tip?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Inside of classroom + children + puppies = win.

Don't try to look like a realtor or a funeral director... Look like a teacher.

Oh, and good luck!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Umm, what teachers wear. Khakis and a dress shirt with either no tie or a weird tie. Isnt that what teachers look like? Get the picture taken agains a real plain background with a slr camera

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Umm, what teachers wear. Khakis and a dress shirt with either no tie or a weird tie. Isnt that what teachers look like? Get the picture taken agains a real plain background with a slr camera

I'm a woman

I figured a plain background would appear too serious and move away from the friendly theme I'm going for. But, I honestly don't know.

Maybe I can find some other websites that unemployed teachers have made for themselves and look at their pictures.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Someone sent me a u2u asking about what grades I am looking for. Apparently, after sending one message and receiving one message, ATS puts up flood control. So, I am sorry I cannot respond to you.

I am searching for grades 1-6.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Administration will be looking for someone who appears intelligent and of high character. Do you have to put a picture up? In all honesty I would probably leave it off as believe it or not people do hire sometimes off a way a person looks.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Oh, I believe it.

Honestly, I'm not sure which to do. We were advised in school to place pictures of yourself on your website, just not on your resume. I plan to have pictures of myself working with students, but I would also like a professional picture on the homepage.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Thank you

Now I just have to find a big pile of puppies!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Teacher here, and although its been ten years since I've searched for a job, I can give you a few hints.

Administrators are looking for someone who is confident, calm, and knowledgeable about their subject. Since you want to teach younger children, I would take the picture in a classroom setting. Be careful about including children in the photo...unless you have specific, written permission from parents. You could have a picture taken of you reading a book to students, so that all the picture shows of the children is the back of their heads. That would make a great photo.

Since a lot of school systems are under a hiring freeze, you may need to consider an alternate route to your dream job. Look for temporary jobs, like maternity leave. It may only be a couple of months, but it lets the administrator get to know you and what a wonderful teacher you are. Likewise, substitute as much as possible. I spent my first year out of college substituting, and was hired by a principal at a school that I was at nearly every week. Believe me, principals notice great substitutes!

Put together a portfolio to take with you on interviews. My portfolio included sample lesson plans, games I made, activities I put together, a copy of my parent newsletter, etc. These are great items to impress the principal.

And if you have a specific school you'd like to work at, and they aren't hiring, consider volunteering when you can. Explain to the principal that you really want to teach at that school, and then help out in classrooms. I guarantee this will impress the principal and you'll be first in line when a position opens up.

Good luck, darling! U2U me if you have any more questions!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
I can't find anything relevant on Google and I'm at a loss here. So, I'm throwing my question out to you all in hopes there are some people with experience that can guide me.

I'm a recent graduate with a degree in teaching. I was not hired on this school year because honestly, there are no jobs available. Most schools are cutting teachers around here, not hiring them. And the ones hiring are facing hundreds of teachers vying for one position. I do have an option of going to the city, but that school district just lost their accreditation, and honestly, I don't want to be involved in that mess my first year of teaching. Rant, sorry.

So, I have been looking for ways to make myself stand out a little. Teachers have been making websites that showcase their abilities, and in fact we had to make one in my last semester of school. I'm revisiting this and redoing my website and I need a picture of myself for the homepage.

My question is, what are some tips on taking a professional employment photo. I need to know what kind of clothing, what kind of background, etc. I need something that says friendly and approachable, yet professional at the same time. I'm not an extremely personable and open person with adults. With kids, it is a different story. I am trying to show myself in a different light on the website.

I plan on doing these on my own with my husbands help because we're broke.

Anyone have a great tip?

Here is my opinion. You are looking for an Elementary/Primary School position. This is a period of wonder and exploration as you know. I would say, take the time to truly understand your teaching style. This is what you want to portray in your photo. You mentioned you were wanting a professional photo, I honestly don't think they want to see this. They already know you are a professional, posting this type of photo is redundant. Look your style. They want to see you how the children will see you. make sure you have a big smile and make your eyes as wide as possible without looking psyco (lol). This will give you a look of wonder and excitement. Your cloths should match your style as well, I suggest bright colors but not white.

Have your good side toward the camera, one side will photograph better than the other so take a few pics to make this distinction, but do not face straight forward. The lighting is important as well. Go with a soft diffused light preferably not white. This means get a colored poster board of your choice and bounce your light off of it while blocking the direct light. This gives you a softer more gentle feel. As for the background something light is fine because it doesn't matter. I say this because it is very easy to pick any background that fits your style and replace it through image editing( I can help with this if need be as well as adjusting colors and correcting flaws captured by the camera).

As for looking at other teachers websites that are unemployed, I think this is a mistake. You should be looking at employed teachers websites because their website gave them success. It really is about your personal style because this is what they are really looking for not the steadfast professional.

edit on 4-10-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks for coming to check out my questions, smyleegrl!

Creating a tangible portfolio is something I didn't do when I interviewed last May because my college insisted principals wanted digital portfolios. I found this wasn't really the case, and having a paper portfolio would have been very helpful. The schools I have been applying to are a little "old school" when it comes to hiring and interviewing.
So, I have begun the process of putting one together.

I was curious about the newsletter to the parents. This is something I plan on making, but do you just make it up as if you had a classroom, or would that be a no-no. I've never been able to send a real one home to parents because we weren't allowed to contact parents, unless through the classroom teacher.

Anyway, thank you for your input, it is much appreciated!

One other thing. I have been subbing since January. I'm really hoping this gets me into my school of choice. I hadn't thought of simply volunteering, though!
edit on 4-10-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thank you for the advice!

I like everything you have to say about taking a good picture. You are right that I can always digitally change the background later. I was thinking of taking an outdoors shot because it seems more free and creative I guess. What is your opinion on that? I'm pretty dim when it comes to photography that looks good and portrays the message I'm trying to send.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Outdoors or nature photos look good but in my opinion they are over done. They show an adventurous side but, at least in my opinion, is this really the image you want to show. Personally I would go with a creative/fun background instead, it will pop out to the eyes of the observer instead of looking the same as others. Also it is very hard to get the lighting the way you want it as well. At least in my description of lighting in my last post you can change it up and experiment. That is the nice thing about doing your own photos there is no extra charge for testing it out lol.

Edit to add: During your light testing be sure to have fun try different poses and pretend you are a fashion model, go crazy with it. Not only will your enjoyment be captured on film but this will give you 2 things. One sometimes the oddest positions make the best pictures and two your husband an you can have a fond memory of the experience.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

You may be right about the adventure thing. Thank you

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Been through this. Use a professional photographer who does "publicity shots." This does not have to be expensive, especially if you go to the studio. Everything is digital now and you can leave with the pics the same day. I had to have a PR shot done because I was a columnist in a magazine. The pros have the right lighting, pull down backgrounds, the whole bit. If you want the pic to look professional, use one.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

In case you missed it I edited my last post to add.

The creative background could be a childs drawing or letters and numbers in random directions and sizes etc get creative with it.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Just make up a sample newsletter that shows what your real one would look like. That's perfectly fine.

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thank you for the comments and suggestions everyone! This afternoon I was called for a possible part time teaching position for math and reading. Hopefully I get this job and it is enough to get me full time next year!

new topics

top topics

join