It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marching towards the hellish reality of THX 1138

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I know. I should write something. Something to explain the title. But what could I say that the movie doesnt say best itself.

This is indeed our inevitable future in 8-10 years.

It is sad.

Thats all I have to say.

THX
I can´t understand.

OMM
Could you be more specific?

THX
The sedatives. I am taking ektrocine, but it doesn´t seem strong enough. I´am having a hard time concentrating .

OMM
You are a true believer.
Blessings of the state, blessing of the masses.
Thou art a subject of the divine.
Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard,
increase production, prevent accidents and... be happy.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

What I'm seeing here is you acknowledging the rules, and then refusing to obey them in the same line, before claiming that your post all but excuses itself from that transgression due to its quality - which, on the other hand, I DON'T see. Don't expect me to take your word for it. When you feel like letting me know what I'm getting into and why you think I should bother, let me know.

Until then, sayonara. I have more informative stuff to enjoy.
edit on 4-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I wish more people would see THX, it's the best thing Lucas ever did. For people in urban centers, working in stressful jobs, it's already here. I was one of them...except for the phone booth jesus.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Pilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Is THX 1138 based on, or influenced by, George Orwell's 1984?
edit on 4-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
I wish more people would see THX, it's the best thing Lucas ever did. For people in urban centers, working in stressful jobs, it's already here. I was one of them...except for the phone booth jesus.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Pilot because: (no reason given)

Its a very good movie. Perhaps a bit misplaced amidst current cgi addicted generations, but it predicts a society gone completely awry in all aspects of life.

The booth scene shows the total absurd life our "hero" is trying to live. Slowly awakening from the druginduced daily heelish life, he becomes obsessed by the thought of trying to break free from this insane system.

Even the religion offered in the booth and at home with a screened saviour is fake (which we discover later in the movie). THX cannot rely on anything in that society of walking zombies. No one at all. What would you do?

And if so, where would you escape today? I mean, from all the current political madness in US or everywhere else on this planet?

edit on 4-10-2012 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

Uruguay, Baby!!
Check it out. Very progressive and awesome climate. That is where I would go. I love my home but damn, the lunatics have been running the asylum for a long, long time and the error path we are on is going to need a drastic correction. I wish I believed it could be accomplished peacefully. Think about how hard it is to change a bad habit as an individual, and extrapolate that to a whole society that is seemingly unaware of the impact we have on the rest of the world. I'm thinking of the war industry at the moment. The MIC has everyone by the short hairs and things will never change until a critical mass wakes up to that. IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The problem is we don't know the full background of the story. We don't know what kind of society it is. So I see no real point in labeling it a tyrannical government.

It could be, but we really don't know.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

That said, the 10th cheapest country in the world, and our top pick, is Uruguay, one of Latin America’s First World countries; a country with one of the continent’s highest standards of living, lowest levels of corruption, best infrastructures, and lowest cost of living. Uruguay beats every other country in Latin America in our Cost of Living category.

Lee Harrison, IL’s Roving Latin America Editor recently bought property here. Here’s what he reported back to us while he was scouting:

“It’s a gorgeous spring day in the Southern Hemisphere, and I just came from looking at an apartment in the old section of Montevideo that was listed for $19,000. I made a three-cent phone call to set up the appointment, and while I was waiting I had a cheeseburger which cost me 43 cents. A bottle of good cabernet wine is $3.20, and cigarettes cost a buck.”

Uruguay is a paradox. South America’s second-smallest country–about the size of Missouri–looks like Europe, and it feels like Europe, but with Third-World prices. Wedged between Brazil and Argentina, Uruguay has the lowest poverty level in Latin America and the highest life expectancy. The literacy rate is 98%.

Source: internationalliving.com...

Damn those "primitive" countries. Seems like hell.

Im planning to move somewhere around there as well. People there are awesome and if you come from our western society, you dont have to work and can live a very long time on your savings down there.

edit on 7-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi911
reply to post by Pilot

That said, the 10th cheapest country in the world, and our top pick, is Uruguay, one of Latin America’s First World countries; a country with one of the continent’s highest standards of living, lowest levels of corruption, best infrastructures, and lowest cost of living. Uruguay beats every other country in Latin America in our Cost of Living category.

Lee Harrison, IL’s Roving Latin America Editor recently bought property here. Here’s what he reported back to us while he was scouting:

“It’s a gorgeous spring day in the Southern Hemisphere, and I just came from looking at an apartment in the old section of Montevideo that was listed for $19,000. I made a three-cent phone call to set up the appointment, and while I was waiting I had a cheeseburger which cost me 43 cents. A bottle of good cabernet wine is $3.20, and cigarettes cost a buck.”

Uruguay is a paradox. South America’s second-smallest country–about the size of Missouri–looks like Europe, and it feels like Europe, but with Third-World prices. Wedged between Brazil and Argentina, Uruguay has the lowest poverty level in Latin America and the highest life expectancy. The literacy rate is 98%.

Source: internationalliving.com...

Damn those "primitive" countries. Seems like hell.

Im planning to move somewhere around there as well. People there are awesome and if you come from our western society, you can live a very long time without even working on your savings down there.

Right??

It might get overrun by unhappy Norte Americanos, shhh.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I cant seem to find an explaination for the name THX 1138, besides the director saying the letters were chosen because they look symmetrical...

Lots of people talking about 11:11 in the spiritual/new age community.

1138 is actually 11:11 if you add the 3 and the 8.

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

According to IMDB, it is.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Ah, but did Lucas out and out say it was, or is that just somebody's assertion?

I'll believe it when I hear him say it is meant to be a tyrannical culture.

Edit:

Okay, I stand corrected. I just read the Wiki on the film and it is indeed a tyrannical culture.
edit on 7-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join