It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiamet.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
To a D&D geek, (like me) Tiamat is a chromatic multi-headed dragon that used to scare the pee out of Venger (on the old cartoon).

Seriously though, what Byrd said, hehe...

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Tiamat was the name of the planet before the crash of Nibiru,but it was also the name of the being who ruled it.Nibiru itself did not crash into the old Earth but it was crafts that were caught in nibiru's force field.It was not one big crash but a series of collisions.It started when Nibiru which was on a routine route through this solar system,but on this particular occasion Uranus appeared as a bulge on Neptune which caused Nibiru to veer off its normal path.Its forcefield is what came into contact with first Titan hence the debris around Satur nthen it collided with another planet that was in this system by name of Maldek which was knocked out of orbit.Many of the beings living there died but like Earth it too was predominantly a water planet so those in the sea did not die,But as fate would have it the survivours were the warrior class who obviously wanted revenge and launched giangantic crafts at Nibiru.These got caught in Nibiru's forcefield and would eventually be the cause of tiamats collision with said crafts,at different points in time.Tiamat's original moon was Pluto.But the last craft that banged into Tiamat ie the "South Wind" created the grand canyon and the other chunk became the Emissary named "kingu" our moon.That got the name from the person who was the emissary to Tiamat the being or her chief warriour.
Of course this all sounds a little far fetched but I have merely touched the surface and at least it offers some sort of explanation to events that numerous cultures seem to be suggesting that we have had contact with outside beings.So wether you say "e.t" or "Angels" there as to be a means or someone capable of offering a valid explanation wether it's Sitchin or Dr Malachi York,or Van Danikin.
Please some constuctive response's.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Of course this all sounds a little far fetched

actually its complete fiction
so i'm going to post a link to the entire text of the Enuma Elish (when on high) in full for anyone who wants to actually read it for themselves
anyone after this who claims that its about astronomy and planets crashing into each other will be making a hugely ignorant statement
and I will happily point that out to the rest of the forum
www.sacred-texts.com...
anyone who wants to comment on this after i have posted this link had better make sure they have actually read it

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Though, you just know they'll claim that all the good bits were contained in the parts marked "[about 30 illegible lines]", "[A gap of about a dozen lines occurs here.]" and "[A gap of over twenty lines occurs here.]" That's where we find out about space aliens and missing planets!

Thanks a lot for the reading material Marduk, that will keep me going for a few days.

It's somewhat fitting that you're the one to lay this to rest.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by twilight to starlight]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I looked over the passages in the Enuma Elish and some portions make good analogies for the destruction of celestial bodies. It sounds good if you want to believe in that sort of thing. I won't argue over the interpretation of the writings because the tablets could be just tall tales of that era. I will mention passages that sound interesting to me:

Tiamat uttered wild piercing cries
She trembled and shook to her very foundations
Her might was broken, her host was scattered
And the gods her helpers, who marched by her side
Trembled, and were affraid and turned back
And they took to flight to save their lives
And with his merciless club he smashed her skull

It could sound like Tiamat was a primary planet with orbitting moons in these passages. The planet's destruction would cause trouble to "the helpers who marched by her side". Anything could fit, if you try.

What I find note worthy is that the Hebrew and Christian texts also hint about some ancient celestial event happing in our solar system. The Enuma Elish may not be the true source that planetary event.

Check out Louis Ginsburg's Legends of the Jews
Check out what Jesus said at Mathew 24
Check out what was said in 2 Peter

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I looked over the passages in the Enuma Elish and some portions make good analogies for the destruction of celestial bodies.

its not an analogy lostinspace
the story is accompanied by images of Tiamat in which she is depicted as a sea creature
the "its an analogy" answer is what Sitchin uses in the first place
apparently only he can decide when the ancients were using analogy and when they were speaking factually

either way
it isn't about a planet
because they had names for celestial objects
and in this text they didn't use any of them
the word used for tiamat is one that has a determinative in it
a determinative that is only used with sea animals
this means that Tiamat is a sea animal and not a planet
its very clear that it is not an analogy
only someone who can't read the language this was written in would think that
you can only get that impression from misreading what the english translation is telling you
as Byrd said in another thread
its all in the interpretation
and the way youre trying to interpret it just isn't tenable

šag hul Zagmuk
(happy new year)

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
yes you are quite right it is a work of fiction.Of which scholars of the eighteen hundreds were interpreting from their eighteen century mindset.
The accounts given in the Babylonian version is in poetic form and their fore one would have to have an intimate understanding of the culture of the ancient Babylonians to beable to fully interprete the theme of this recording.
Nevertheless a few have indeed stepped forward to present another way of looking at these accounts.
Based on the evidence within books like the bible and other more obscurred books like the book of enoch and many others it seems obvious that perhaps by utilizing our current understanding of the world and by updating the terminology there may have been at least a few events that pertained to celestial events and numerous peoples of the planet have traditons drenched from those past beliefs.
To be as dissmissive of everything and to imply it was just a story shows a case of intransigent myopia.
Unless of course you believe that when the bible says that god went before the israelites in the pillar of a cloud that is exactly what it meant.(Ex;13v21). Of course there are modern day scholars who have give there interpretations and sitchin is one of the more reknown of that group.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Unless of course you believe that when the bible says that god went before the israelites in the pillar of a cloud that is exactly what it meant

this links for you
dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
It could sound like Tiamat was a primary planet with orbitting moons in these passages.

Except that in Sumerian, names ALSO have a preface indicating something about the name. So we get "city Babylon" that's translated as Babylon. We get "god Marduk" and "planet Marduk (Jupiter)" which are translated in English as "Marduk" and "Jupiter." Some of the wordings would be cumbersome (or vague) in English and so you're given equivalents.

In those passages that you quoted, the original text (remember that I keep saying "look at what the original says!") very clearly does NOT say "planet Tiamat."

If you read a bit further, you'll discover that Tiamat's bones are Earth's mountains (they had no notions of geologic processes and continental movement and upthrusts) and her blood is the sea.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9reason
yes you are quite right it is a work of fiction.Of which scholars of the eighteen hundreds were interpreting from their eighteen century mindset.

The Enamma Elish was their version of the Bible, and they believed what it said. To them, it wasn't fiction, though you may think of it as such.

We're also reading from modern translations and not those of the 1800's. You can find those online, but as more cylinders and tablets were unearthed, translations were adjusted to become more accurate.

... there may have been at least a few events that pertained to celestial events and numerous peoples of the planet have traditons drenched from those past beliefs.

If you're basing this on Sitchin, you might want to do a little more reading. For instance, during the time periods when he says that Nibiru came through (about 1600 BC) there were a lot of civilizations that had writing. If you read about these time periods, you will find that they wrote about a good many things... but none of them wrote about anything that Sitchin said happened on a global scale.

Nor do they have legends about these.

Do go see what the people themselves said, and do look up the fascinating stuff archaeologists turn up.

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

The Enamma Elish was their version of the Bible

the Enamma Elish ??
Have you been on the eggnog Byrd

I don't agree though that it is their version of the bible
it was recited during the new year (akitu) festival as a matter of tradition
and it was the basis for their cosmology
but to equate it with a Hebrew book that is clearly fictional would be an error

The Bible itself came about because the Hebrews were enslaved by the Babylonians and is clearly based on Akkadian beliefs and texts, the Akkadians being the civilisation overthrown by the rise of the Babylonian empire
so by the scales of justice
the validity of the Enuma Elish far outweighs that of the Bible purely on the grounds of the superiority of the cultures involved

well
it used to
Happy Zagmuk everyone

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPHNYX
WAS TIAMET THE EARTH BEFORE THE BIG BANG ?

at this URL
you'll find several links that deal with your 'Tiamat'

www.teacheroz.com...

the best one, that is the one i deal with the most is;
ASSYRO-BABYLONIAN Mythology FAQ version 1.9html
by Christopher B Siren

Tiamat
She is primeval Chaos, bearer of the skies and the Earth...
...traditionally conceived of as a serpent or dragon of some sort.

this well reguarded essay, you'll need to read up on and digest the info given you....to get better acquainted with he ancients mythic concept of Tiamat (& the others...)
because in those days of long-ago, their concept of Tiamat, whether a force or a demi-god was a lot different than the modern authors & story-tellers have weaved their yarns about...

[unofficial Joseph Campbell appreciation society member/follower]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
What I've been lead to believe is that Tiamat in current form is a serpent of the sea and chained within water. She's the queen of the ancients. This is from a mythological and semi-radical religious point of view.

Aislinne Lilith

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The theory of Tiamet the planet has been further by one Michael Tsarion (see his interviews on Google videos). The value of his work is his vast knowledge of the ancient divintation sciences including Numerology, Astrology, the Kabbalah and the Tarot. Combines with a life of research on symbols and metapysics in general, he clais that his views are not his own and that he is interpreting ancient texts along with a number of modern theoris including Sitchin.

Tsarion adds to his repetoire the sense to ask people who have complimentary skills such as Jordan Maxwell the symbols expert and etymological guru. For example, the word serpeant in the ancient texts means technology. This simple notion alone changes thre reading from myth to historical account. I am a skeptic of the alien proposal but I am as well open to the possibility given the absurdity of traditoinal historic accounts.

Tsarion's ideas tie up even if they are farfetched which he agrees with. In his own words his views are fringe so he is very careful with all of his references.

Tiamet, according to sarion, was a water planet that was destroyed and much of the water fell into Earth's atmosphere and raised the level of the oceans. Noah's Ark story? The Nephilim were an alien race that flew their crafts under the oceans and sought to create a servile race out of the indigenous people of the Earth. This effort failed twice and the result was a thermo nuclear war. Listen to the videos and the many details will fill in the rest.

[video.google.com...]

[video.google.com...]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Howdy

Tsarion unfortunately doesn't understand physics. Water cannot 'pour down' from orbit, question what happens when the water that is incoming (and frozen solid) hits the atmosphere going X thousands of kilometers per hour?

Tsarion like his source Sitchin are best known for making up stuff, avoiding science and peer review. Their writings are for those without solid scientific backgrounds and incapable of detecting the outrageous errors they make up and sell as 'truth'.

Here is a question to ponder, if there were planet bobbing around smashing into things why is the Moon's orbit nearly circular? - why isn't it disturbed? (it has been slightly, oh so very slightly, effected by Mars and Jupiter over the past billions of years) But a whopping big planet moving around - not a hint of effect. So then why are Venus and Mars orbits stable? Remember all of this is suppose to have happend a few thousand years ago? For the orbits to have become stable would take hundreds of millions if not billions of years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join