It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Master.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
"The Master" is like being hypnotized by watching a 10 car pile up on the interstate.
This film is as beautiful as it is disturbing. Two masterful actors at the top of their game.
Hoffman and Phoenix draw you in until you feel something I can't even describe.
Director/Screenwriter Paul Thomas Anderson took no prisoners with this film just like in his "There Will Be Blood"
"The Master" is a period piece that is so good the images will haunt you.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
So what do you think, is it about Scientology? I mean Anderson says it's not but why have an advanced screening for Tom Cruise and other members of the chruch. I've read that the only thing Cruise objected to was a scene, which ended up in the trailer anyway, where a character says something like "He's making it up as he goes along; can't you see that?"

I can't wait to see it, I really like Hoffman and It's nice after the strangeness that was "I'm still here" that Joaquin Phoenix has weathered whatever mental storm he was going through.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

This film really wasn't about anything. It was a study of two characters, and the dysfunctional complexity of their relationship. The cult [perhaps scientology] was just a backdrop to hang their story on.

I can't believe how fantastic this film was!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Drove an hour to see this movie today and it was very good. Paul Thomas Anderson is a tremendous film-maker, he hasn't made a bad one yet.

I agree that it doesn't matter if this movie is about Scientology, because that's not the focus. There's a cult, they give personality/stress tests, but that's not the point. Like Olaru said, it's movie about two characters and it's a study in loneliness and control. All cults are about those two things. A lot of things are about those two things.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by Josephus

This film really wasn't about anything. It was a study of two characters, and the dysfunctional complexity of their relationship. The cult [perhaps scientology] was just a backdrop to hang their story on.

I can't believe how fantastic this film was!

I was thinking while watching the film nonstop,,, i think it is an underwhelming understatement to say " the film wasnt about anything".....

it is to an extent about man rising above an animal state,,, but i dont think that that is what is problematic,,, unless you want to just say man is futiley problematic always and in general for being above the general animal state ..... Man is already above the state of the animal.,.., PSH's character is attempting ( like all religions) to acurately interpret and suck and drain absolute truths and morals and guidelines out of reality,,, that are there to be dictated to man,, he is trying to capture eternal infinity,,, he is trying to comprehend and make sense of it all,,,, but whenever he attempts to do this in a way he has already failed,,,, because reality is exactly as it is,, and anything he puts on paper to code people to do,,, is his willful hand molding a part of nature,,, to me this is about the absolute existence of value or meaning,, if these things exist,, if they matter,,, if man should just make his codes and laws and they are good enough,, or if there are better ones always,,, is there right and wrong,,, is always being right , right,,, does it matter,,, can and should he do anything about it,,.,. etc..

I thought the film showed how a supposed holy man,,, one who is revered by many others,, one who says they wish to desiree to be perfect as god intends,,, is still highly corruptible,,, he keeps changing his theories and ideas,, which is cool to show that "truth" maybe a constant work in progress.,.., Also he needed to pawn his "word of god" as a way for him and his wife to make a living,,, and you can see in scenes his wife is the bossy one,, almost to an extent where she can be perceived as the masters master,,,.,. .,,. it also goes to show how a man who akes his living explaining the way to live the pure and perfect life,,, wants nothing more then to get wasted and do carnal activities,, his best friend is a know nothing delinquent,,, I know i didnt say all I thought about the film and i know what i did say was not said in a perfeclty understandable manner,, so i am certainly willing to continued conversing about this film,,, for i did enjoy it,,., also i know these are my opinions,, but i feel it is beyond my opinion to say,,, the director did not create this film with the intention of depicting ... nothing.

top topics

join