It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strange, Black, "Spidery Things" on Mars - and a Possible Explanation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcmb1409
HIRISE has many images of patterns formed by sublimating carbon dioxide ice in the Martian Polar regions. Below is a quick link to 147 out of over 25,000 images from HIRISE. The 147 are of carbon dioxide images.

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Dry ice sublimates at minus109f on earth, mars allegedly has a one thousandth of the atmosphere of earth. what would the temp drop to at that pressure? Mars also gets to 80 in the summer supposedly. So for dry ice to freeze out of an atmosphere conpletely saturated with co2...dry ice has to be a lot colder than minus 109. But we use solar panels there. Solar panels lose efficiency at cold temperatures...........

Sublimating dry ice looks like steam anyway
edit on 4-10-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Go to grand mere state park and warren dunes state park in stevensville and bridgman michigan to research sand dunes. They really do just look like that on their own, but for them to form and remain in one place, something has to anchor the sand down otherwise theyll move across the desert slowly. Theyll pile up on a big lpg or rock, eventually dune grasses grow on them and can firmly anchor them in place. Eventually dying plant matter can turn the sand to a great soil and trees grow on them. Of course thats a michigan process and not a desert process. But something used to be under those dunes. Probably just a big rock

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

For some reason that image of Triton inspires my imagination more than these spiders on Mars. I think it's because it's a moon and it's further out in deep space. So many moons...

It's amazing to contemplate what's out there. And I don't just mean living organisms.

This article says there're trillions of rogue planets adrift between the stars in the Milky Way:
www.spacedaily.com - Free-floating planets in the Milky Way outnumber stars...

What will we know in 100 years? Hell, I don't understand what we have NOW. I'm constantly amazed and put in my place by people who lived 100's of years ago. I'm so yesterday.

I think the article linked by the OP says all I could say about the spiders. I don't think we know everything about Mars, but there's a good chance those're eruptions of gases as it suggests.

It all makes me so humble. I truly feel stupid. There's so much I'll never know. We'll never know? It's good to have pride about what we know, but humility is more practical.

It sure is exciting, no? This life would suck terribly without these mysteries. What would there be to wake up to except more drudgery, day after day, same old thing forever? But I guess without mysteries everything in this reality would be different, so there's no comparison.
edit on 4-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The same forces at work in the "spiders" are also behind the "lizard skin" and "lace" features;

Probably one of the cooler pics of these:

I suppose conditions must be just right on Mars for these to occur (solar geysers), but in the grand scheme of things not any stranger than caves on earth that can grow giant crystals.

More: Digplanet - Martian geyser
edit on 4-10-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

As I started your article I was going to say we found some of those years ago with MOC but you included the photos!

Here is the curious thing what was Ziggy Stardust (Bowie) singing about...
edit on 4-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
12 Years ago I proposed these were geysers, it was not until about 4-5 years later the scientific community caught up with that. idea..

www.anomalies.net...

We also called them the big black puffers, it was my belief (and still is) they also may be a life form that procreates using the martian wind to spread out like a fungal puffer does, that uses the geysers energy.

Sometimes I miss those days...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I think the geyser idea is silly. If true, why haven't the cameras captures any of the geysers themselves?

I think the Hungarian explanation of living microorganisms or even larger animals is more plausible. This looks like migration and or thriving in summer and hibernating in winter - things only living organisms do.

The reason why this is rejected in favor of the geyser theory is scientists aren't ready or willing to admit - there's Life on mars.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

dry ice has to be a lot colder than minus 109

Temperatures at the Martian polar regions reach -225ºF.
www.astronomycafe.net...

Sublimating dry ice looks like steam anyway

CO2, like water vapor, is invisible. The "fog" we see formed by dry ice is water vapor condensed into water droplets. The same as steam except for the conditions under which it forms. Steam forms because the air becomes saturated as it cools from 212º to lower temperatures. The Fog forms because the air is saturated as it cools from contact with the dry ice.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Those are out of this world. I can only imagine what a web cam at ground level would reveal as these "geysers" erupt.

They have that "fractal" look about them too. Like tree branches, roots, mountain ranges, river complexes, whatever. Surely a magical discovery age we live in. Everyone can be an explorer...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

n winter, the southern pole of Mars is -200 degrees F (-129 C), so cold that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere freezes to form a layer of dry ice about 20 inches thick. www.reuters.com...

Two pages of geysers from this link.

Geysers on Mars

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Articles about geysers on Mars.

Ice geysers 'discovered on Mars'

news.bbc.co.uk...

Martian Geysers Spew Ice, Dust

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Geysers - click to enlarge then enlarge again .

edit on 4-10-2012 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I think the geyser idea is silly. If true, why haven't the cameras captures any of the geysers themselves?

Like this?

From M07-01830

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

What will we know in 100 years? Hell, I don't understand what we have NOW. I'm constantly amazed and put in my place by people who lived 100's of years ago. I'm so yesterday.

I get that too. Its called wonder. The "wow" effect. A form of worship by the way. I am marveling right along with you.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Awesome Phage.
Would we have an idea how tall those are?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Like this?

From M07-01830

That image pretty much said it all. Which is why I wished the polar lander (as it seemed to have landed) had sent back something or Phoenix had captured this on camera...of course maybe they did!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Of all the postings I find about this, I think skipper has about the best theories:
www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

Here is a small quote from skipper lower down on the same link - page.:
"this vegetation which demonstrates that this is a true living dynamic vegetation ecology".

edit on 4-10-2012 by thetiler because: added thought

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Looks like Sanskrit to me

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

Skipper avoids the use of the best resolution images. Here's a progressive zoom of that area.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/b39be846bf2e1182.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

ETA: hey! Isn't that "three" shaped dune thing in the bottom pic the Ziljan Cymbals mark? Proof of life (and drum solos) on Mars!!!

Station!!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That photo alone provides the best answer to the mystery.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
There is no frozen co2 on mars and im sick of these people lying to us.

Probably perennial plants that grow from bulbs and die back to the bulb every winter. Very common on earth

I dont think they are lying, i just dont think they really know s***.... Its like parking under a berry tree full of birds and you come back with splats on your windshield, then taking a guess if its bird s*** or fallin berries...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
There is no frozen co2 on mars and im sick of these people lying to us.

Probably perennial plants that grow from bulbs and die back to the bulb every winter. Very common on earth

Agreed. I've studied geology extensively in high school and in university, and nothing in those pictures suggests a geyser of any sort. Those are some kind of biology/botany that we don't recognize.

What's odd is the plume of dust in the ridge in the first picture...I'm surprised no one else is pointing out what that might be? Rock fall? Land slide?

Otherwise, Mars is chalk full of organisms. Anyone who doesn't think so, just do a quick search for Mars Anomalies and you'll be blown away by how many pictures are available. Mar's is not as 'red' as you think either, these photos all have color added to them later; not when they're taken. You don't think we have technology to take rolling 1080p digital recordings of the surface from 200 miles up? Of course we do and TBTB definitely know the exact state of Mars and what's available there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join