36 Facts About Women

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The word “woman” is believed to have derived from the Middle English term wyfman, broken down simply as the wife (wyf) of man. In Old English, women were described simply as wyf, while the term man was used to describe a human person, regardless of gender.c

The English word “girl” was initially used to describe a young person of either sex. It was not until the beginning of the sixteenth century that the term was used specifically to describe a female child.

The biological sign for the female sex, a circle placed on top of a small cross, is also the symbol for the planet Venus. The symbol is believed to be a stylized representation of the Roman goddess Venus’ hand mirror.d

While many stars and moons are christened with female names, Venus is the only planet in our solar system given the name of a female goddess.

The breasts of human women are much larger in proportion than those of other female mammals. The prominent size, while not necessary for milk production, is most likely a result of sexual selection

The English language originally delineated between women in different stages of life with the terms “maiden,” “mother,” and “crone.” A maiden referred to a young girl who was unmarried, a mother referred to a woman in her child-bearing years, and a crone described a post-menopausal woman.

The average height of a woman in the U.S. is approximately 5 feet 4 inches, and the average weight is about 163 pounds. These figures vary greatly throughout the world, due to differences in nutrition and prenatal care.

In almost every country worldwide, the life expectancy for women is higher than for men.g

While the population of males is slightly greater than females worldwide (98.6 women for every 100 men), there are roughly four million more women than men in the U.S. In the age 85-and-older category, there are more than twice as many women as men currently living in the U.S.

The most common cause of death for American women is heart disease, which causes just over 27% of all mortalities in females. Cancer ranks just below, causing 22% of female deaths.

Worldwide, women are nearly twice as likely to be blind or visually impaired as men. Experts attribute this difference to the greater longevity of women (leading to more age-related visual impairment) and specific eye diseases that are intrinsically more common in women such as dry eye syndrome and Fuch’s Dystrophy.

Depression is the most common cause of disability in women, and approximately 25% of all women will experience severe depression at some point in their lives

You can view the rest here:

facts.randomhistory.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Fact #5 is the only fact im interested in.. N very much satisfied with...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think this might come in useful in this thread.

Safety first.
edit on 3-10-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Very interesting. I expected a thread in which somebody ranted on about their opinions of women, but I was pleasantly surprised to find actual, provable facts.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I am impressed! So many facts, stated bluntly, with no smarty pantsing!

I S&F you!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Don't forget to to use the external text box

Like This
when quoting external sources.

Some people take plagiarism seriously.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Thanks ESC - there are some real eye-openers among that lot.

"Mother" - voted the most beautiful word in the world (8 years ago - but no vote undertaken since).

Can I just say your post is appropriately timed for breast-cancer awareness month too - so since we all have a Mum, I just wanted to give that a plug - if any of you can, please donate to your local associated charity.

S&F - good stuff.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Safety first.

Excelent

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

I don't fully understand how to do that and have a hard time with it.

It was not my intent to plagiarize a website.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by ZeroReady

I don't fully understand how to do that and have a hard time with it.

It was not my intent to plagiarize a website.

The linky you included should do it, its obvious your not stealing someone elses work.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I don't rant about women. I keep those thoughts to myself.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Safety first.

Finally!!!
An explanation I can understand!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

The average height of a woman in the U.S. is approximately 5 feet 4 inches, and the average weight is about 163 pounds. These figures vary greatly throughout the world, due to differences in nutrition and prenatal care.

Eek!! 163 pounds?! Well atleast im spot on with the average height! 5'4 and proud!

S&F for a good thread!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I really impressed!

other then this women like to chit chat in any topic like fashion , makeup and all.
for more information you can click here

Fashionable products

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

changed mind
edit on 17-10-2012 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join