It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Saville abuse claims...the other side to a British icon.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
An article from the newspapers today, and this was also discussed on Question Time last night here in the UK...

Broadcaster Janet Street-Porter has revealed she was aware of rumours about Sir Jimmy Savile's alleged abuse of underage girls when she worked at the BBC during the late 1980s.

The journalist also said there was a culture of inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes of the "male dominated" entertainment industry, adding that nothing would have been done even if the allegations about the late Top of the Pops host were raised.

"A lot of people knew": Janet Street-Porter says she was aware of the Jimmy Savile abuse rumours

This trouble me greatly how many people probably knew about this. Whilst i can understand their comments about "nothing would have been done" of they had something, you still report things like this.

In my opinion, and i may be wrong here so i'd love to hear your opinions too, there are two reasons why you don't say something....you are either complicit and have something to hide, or you are selfish enough to choose saving yourself and job over saving a child from something nobody should ever have to go through.

It's not as though the BBC bosses were the only people you could have reported this to. There was the police, the various child protection agencies. Someone would have at least taken notice or recorded enough to maybe bring a case later.

I just expected more from some people, i think there will be some serious soul searching going on right now.

CX.
edit on 5/10/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

It really is such an injustice that not one of his colleges, the people that are now happy to talk about how it was an open secret never came forward while he was alive and able to be bought to book for his crimes

I wonder if anyone know if someones knighthood can be taken away posthumously?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Let me just point out that allegations are not proof of anything, thank god. Otherwise lots of people could find themselves in trouble for a whole variety of reasons.

Whilst it certainly doesn't look for Mr Saville, lets wait and see eh? It is certainly worth noting that previous investigations were dropped due to lack of evidence.

If he turns out to be guilty then pillory him.

On the other hand, if he turns out to be innocent, i hope all those that have made allegations are charged with false accusations and wasting Police time - it works both ways.

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I agree.....wasn't that guy who screwed up with the Royal Bank Of Scotland stripped of a title like this? Goodwin or something like that? I'll go look.

CX.

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I see your point. It might come down to them needing hard evidence, but there are so many people in all levels of the industry, and other industries coming forward now, this will stick to his name for a long time.

If it was just one gold digging tell all accuser, then maybe it would be different, but you have dozens of adults, some who do not even want to be named, who have come forward about what happened to them as kids.

I do see your point, and i appreciate that evidence is needed.

How many witness statements saying that they saw kids being molested or in states of undress, or victims personal accounts, pass for evidence these days?

Especially when they are so far reaching, people from all over the country, and all over the industry, but giving the same themed accounts.

CX.
edit on 5/10/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Channel 4's latest report includes an audio recording from the '70s that may well be considered as evidence to some degree.

The whole thing reminds me of something an old flat mate of mine said about 15 years ago, she was brought up in the village where Savile lived in the '90s and she along with all the other kids in the village would regularly go for dinner at his house. I've no idea if anything ever happened there but it makes you think.

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Thank you for that, i listened to am audio clip on sound cloud the other night and it was a portion of the one you played there, however it was very hard to make out the girls words. I was going to post it here to see if anyone could clean up the quality, but the one you have there is much better.

CX.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
An article from the newspapers today, and this was also discussed on Question Time last night here in the UK...

Broadcaster Janet Street-Porter has revealed she was aware of rumours about Sir Jimmy Savile's alleged

I watched Question Time last night and was kind of shocked at the defence Janet S.P used when asked why she didn't report what she knew. She said at the age of 10 she was molested by a hairdresser and when she told her mother, her mother hit her.

Now, I have every sympathy for the 10 year old Janet (assuming this is true), but does that mean that as a much more mature woman she feels that is a justified defence? Maybe, maybe not, but I was very surprised. I would have thought that if anything it would have made her more determined for him to be brought to justice - assuming these rumours are true.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ester Rantzen's point about how the child carries all the guilt in a case like this perhaps has so much to do with why these women won't talk about it, or blow the whistle easily, even in adulthood. Having to relive any event like this much take a person right back to the age the were at when the abuse occurred, and all the terrible emotions involved.

I always felt very weirdly wary of Jimmy Savile, although I never met him. I saw an interview of him once when he was describing his time working on the Manchester club scene in the 1960's I think, and I saw another side of him then....very threatening, hard, unemotional, downright scary to be honest. No wonder his victims felt like they didn't have a voice. This public personna of his, of the happy clown with the silly haircut, and the comedy voice was all a sham, in my opinion, a way of making people, and children think he was harmless.

It will be obvious, as they start to formally interview these women, that the consistencies and synchronicites in their stories will show them to be true, even if he can't be prosecuted.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Saville was a nasty piece of work, make no mistake. Before fame, he ran nightclubs and was well-known for violence. For minor horseplay he would have a patron dragged down to the basement and tied to a chair where Saville himself would beat the living crap out him. He's admitted it himself on Louis Theroux's show. As well as his obvious proclivities regarding young girls, there's also an abiding rumour that the guy was a necrophile. It's certainly true that at the height of his fame he took a job as a lowly hospital porter at Leeds Infirmary. The rumours go that he was slipping the morgue attendant £500 for an hour with a fresh corpse.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Troofseeker

I know that bit about necrophilia is just a rumour, but it made my hair stand on end, and I'm totally, thoroughly creeped out. Nightmares for me for sure tonight. Personally, I want to see him stripped of his knighthood and his reputation in shreds. At the very least.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by Troofseeker

I know that bit about necrophilia is just a rumour, but it made my hair stand on end, and I'm totally, thoroughly creeped out. Nightmares for me for sure tonight. Personally, I want to see him stripped of his knighthood and his reputation in shreds. At the very least.

I agree his name should be dragged through the mud if and when it all come out. Knighthoods though, do they mean anything these days? It seems anyone can get one, I'm surprised Fred West didn't get one for 'services to building'.

Christians did get one thing right, wait a few hundred years and then start dishing out the sainthoods.
edit on 5/10/12 by Ramcheck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I don't think knighthoods do mean very much any more unless you're of a kind of old fashioned mindset, but it's a symbolic stripping of honours if it's removed, I think.

As far as reputations goes, even if nothing else happens, the damage has been done, I hope.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well, jim really fixed it for himself, didnt he?

Did anyone see Janet street-porter on newsnight last night? Im relaying it in the third person because i didnt see it but my dad told me about it.

She was asked by a member of the public, if it was known by those in the know, that he was this monster, and that she had heard the rumours, why didnt she do something about. Her answer was, that when she was a young girl, she was left with someone and they sexually abused her or raped. When she got home and told her parents about it, she was disbelieved and massivly punished. So she didnt speak because shes was the only woman journalist in a sea of men journalists, and who would believe her?, in this cliquey boys club..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Well, jim really fixed it for himself, didnt he?

Did anyone see Janet street-porter on newsnight last night? Im relaying it in the third person because i didnt see it but my dad told me about it.

She was asked by a member of the public, if it was known by those in the know, that he was this monster, and that she had heard the rumours, why didnt she do something about. Her answer was, that when she was a young girl, she was left with someone and they sexually abused her or raped. When she got home and told her parents about it, she was disbelieved and massivly punished. So she didnt speak because shes was the only woman journalist in a sea of men journalists, and who would believe her?, in this cliquey boys club..

Yeah I heard JSP's poor excuse for covering up for her fellow Lovey. She should really have known better, but who is to say how those people are feeling really, dunno. obviously damned if they do and damned if they don't..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
After reading through this thread, it brought me back to a video I once seen.

Huge Bay City Rollers fan, but the beginning of the Shangalang vid on Top of the Pops.

How old do you reckon that girl is at the beginning?

Also...please no comments about Les, I happen to know him personally through a friend.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
After reading through this thread, it brought me back to a video I once seen.

Huge Bay City Rollers fan, but the beginning of the Shangalang vid on Top of the Pops.

How old do you reckon that girl is at the beginning?

Also...please no comments about Les, I happen to know him personally through a friend.

About 14, but really you just wanted an excuse to post the Bay City Rollers

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Yes.

But still that's pretty shifty body language going on with that girl and Savile though...I always knew he was a creeper, especially when I saw him in the House of the Rising Sun video.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
God almighty....I've been awake since 4am...nightmares and couldn't sleep...knew this would happen....and it just got so much worse with that Rollers vid!!

Seriously though...this guy was such an icon, it's going to deeply shock and disturb many people when it really comes to light what he did. My heart goes out to his victims and I hope that making their stories public will help start the healing they need.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join