It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

emachine deskjet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My daughter has a emachine desktop that is not even 2 years old.

Last week we did the windows update and since that time the mouse has been frozen, can not log in can not move mouse, nothing??

Any help would be so appreciated!!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightmere

Last week we did the windows update and since that time the mouse has been frozen, can not log in can not move mouse, nothing??

Try booting to Safe Mode.
To do that keep pressing F8 key at start of boot process.
It'll present you with a menu where you can select Boot to last known GOOD configuration or boot to safe mode to do repairs.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Is it a usb mouse or a ps2 mouse?

if its a usb mouse just change the port its plugged in to.

if its a ps2 mouse just boot into safe mode as said above .

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have tried to open it in safe mode and I can get it to the log in screen, hit enter and put in the pass word BUT the mouse is still frozen, I can hit enter but can not move the cursor to the restore point I would like.( wont work even using the arrow keys)

I should mention that I thought when I said emachine desktop you all would know it is one of those cheap laptops that do not even have a cd rom. Those cheap mini laptops, the ones we give to our kids to keep them off ours

As for the mouse I have tried to use one of the external mouse designed for lap tops and even that does not work plugged into a USB port.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I have tried to open it in safe mode and I can get it to the log in screen, hit enter and put in the pass word BUT the mouse is still frozen, I can hit enter but can not move the cursor to the restore point I would like.( wont work even using the arrow keys)

I should mention that I thought when I said emachine desktop you all would know it is one of those cheap laptops that do not even have a cd rom. Those cheap mini laptops, the ones we give to our kids to keep them off ours

As for the mouse I have tried to use one of the external mouse designed for lap tops and even that does not work plugged into a USB port.

Try using the TAB key to move around the options, then hit Enter.

ETA: is it Win7 or XP ?
edit on 3-10-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lightmere

Hi lightmere , if you have not manged to log into windows since the problem has started then you should try to get to the recovery menu before windows starts up. You can do this by tapping f8 as the machine is booting up.

Then choose "Last Known Good Configuration" from the menu of choices.

This will set you computer back to the way it was the last time you managed to log in successfully.

Have you checked that the mouse is working ok on another computer at all?

edit on 3-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I just used the tab keys and got it to restore back to a month ago.. Thanks for that.

Problem is the mouse is still froze.

Its running windows 7 starter

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I have done that. And its a mouse pad not a mouse that is plugged into a USB port.

I just tried the external mouse to see if that was my problem

Thanks

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Did you do "system restore" or "last known good configuration" ? Or both?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

reply to post by VoidHawk

I just used the tab keys and got it to restore back to a month ago.. Thanks for that.

Problem is the mouse is still froze.

Its running windows 7 starter

Sounds like the driver is screwed, restore doesnt always restore the drivers. Try updating at Microsoft again, it usualy checks for driver errors and may fix the fault.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Im just off to bed so im not going to be a whole lot of help tonight im afraid.

Ive just had a look around and found a few mentions of something to do wit the FN keys that might be worth a try.

When you press FN the keys at function keys at the top of the keyboard change their function. Look over it to see if there is a little lightly colored icon that looks like a touchpad. Press that while holding the FN button. That button (the function key at the top of the keyboard) is an internal pointing device disable. That means that it makes your touchpad stop working. I don't know why they would make a button that does that though.

Also i agree with Voidhawk that it could be a driver problem. But if its not working on usb and touchpad it could also be something else.

Im thinking one way to check if it is a driver complication is to choose to "repair your computer" from the recovery menu (tap f8 during boot up to get there". That should take you to a set of recovery options like 'startup reapir" etc. It will be useful to know if your mouse is working when you are there as that section uses generic mouse drivers not your normal installed ones. So if it work in that section is should be easy enough to fix.

Well im off to bed so ill leave you with a few ideas to look into.

- Check out the thing about the FN keys if nothing at all is seeming to get the pointer working.

- If you have tried "last known configuration" and its not worked then its safe to try to log into windows and try something else. When you log into windows it resets the "last known configuration" as i thinks everything must be ok because you managed to log in.

You can navigate around windows without a mouse so if you can manage to log in you might want to try to :
- reinstall the update. then reboot.
- uninstall the update. then reboot.
- try driver rollback in device manager for the mouse pad.
- try uninstalling the mouse pad device in device manager and then rebooting.

I would talk you through it but im about to crash, im sure there's other members here that could help you with some of these tasks..good luck on your mission.

Ill check back in the morning and see if you have found a solution

edit on 3-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

just for future reference a desktop is the one with the tower and monitor, a laptop is well a laptop.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Voidhawk and Phoenix you Rock!!

I'm feeling a bit stupid for not know that about the FN key this morning.
What an easy fix that was once you know how!
A big Thank you from me, and my daughter! More so from me now I get my laptop back!

morsomnibustyrannus thanks for clarifying that.. I thought since it was one of those mini lap tops with out a cd rom that technically it was not classified as a "real laptop"

I gave you all stars for being so helpful

Thanks again!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Im glad you got it working ok

The main clue was that the pointer was not working in safe mode as well as after you restored the computer to an earlier time. Both of these actions should have made some difference to the mouse pointer if it was a driver error or an update error. Also the fact that the pointer was not working on the mouse pad as well as with a USB mouse pointed to it being more than a simple driver error as they have different drivers from eachother. So really after eliminating those factors all we had left was the FN key solution.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know what worked as it helps other people who might have the same problem

edit on 4-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thank you for being so nice, and not being mean cause I am an idiot about the FN key!

Worst thing is I thought I tried the FN key before posting!

You have been so very helpful!

Thanks again!

new topics

top topics

join