It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Number of Homosexuals Running for Congress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Record Number of Homosexuals Running for Congress

In all, eight openly gay candidates are running as major-party nominees for the House of Representatives, the most ever, including the two incumbents who are favored in their races _ Democrats Jared Polis of Colorado and David Cicilline of Rhode Island. There's one gay Republican in the group, Richard Tisei, who is waging a competitive campaign for a House seat from Massachusetts.

A common denominator in all the races: Neither the gay candidates nor their rivals are stressing sexual orientation, and the oft-heard refrain is, "It's not an issue." If anti-gay innuendo does surface from lower echelons of a campaign, there are swift disavowals _ even conservative candidates these days think twice about being depicted as biased against gays and lesbians.

I thought this was a really good story. Worth reading. It looks like the country is growing up a little. At least as far as privacy in the bedroom goes. Being homosexual shouldn't matter either for or against a candidate. Ability to do a job is what should matter.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think it is probably more a case of "Record number of people feeling safe enough to publicly admit they are gay" than the actual headline.

What the extremist minds tend to not consider is how many closeted homosexuals have served in the past. There are many very famous people from the history of American politics who are now believed to have been gay. And, oddly, some of them were known publicly as homophobes.

~cough~ ~cough~ J Edgar Hoover ~cough~

~Heff
edit on 10/3/12 by Hefficide because: Use of tense issue - changed for clarity

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky1

This is the opposite of growing up.

Pretending that people defined by extreme mental illness and perverse sexual deviancy are "normal" helps no one.

But it has presented the world with an AIDS epidemic and new and improved versions of other STDs.

Super gonnorrhea, anyone?

Coming to a bath house or rest stop near you...!

what complete load of rubbish!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

There should be no records kept or broken on this statistic.

As long as they are representing their constituency, there should be no problem with being openly anything.

I'm more worried about closet "idiots".

edit on 3-10-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I look forward to the day we don't even discuss homosexuality anymore.
S&F (I like Heff's title better, though)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
I think it is probably more a case of "Record number of people feeling safe enough to publicly admit they are gay" than the actual headline.

Very true. I used the headline from the article. But you are totally right.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
(I like Heff's title better, though)

Me too. But I went with the one the article used.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
God I bet these guys are pissed this is even being discussed.

You know if one of them wanted some political brownie points with both sides they'd come out against being labeled as a gay politcian.

I know I would.

Hell I bet you even some conservatives would support somebody gay who didn't rail on the issues, did their job and went home without falling into the left vs right social paradigm trap.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
God I bet these guys are pissed this is even being discussed.

According to the article, the sexual orientation of these folks is pretty much ignored in regards to the political race. It's ignored by them and it's ignored by opponents. I think that, since we are just saying that it's nice that it doesn't seem to matter, that they might be okay with it. I could be wrong .. but I think that all of us saying 'hey .. it is great that it doesn't matter ' ... kinda goes along with them ignoring sexuality ... IMHO

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I'm very glad that it isn't being made an issue in the campaign. It shows a nation growing out of it's ugliness.

Kudos to their opponnents for not stooping over the 'moral high ground' attacks.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky1
I stated facts and rational arguments.

I really don't think so. According to the DSM-IV ... homosexuality is not a extreme mental illness. It's not even a mental illness. And as far as being 'perverted' goes ... that's kind of subjective. Two consenting adults doing what they wish in the privacy of their own bedroom ... not hurting each other and not hurting anyone else ... and not pushing it on anyone .... well, I'm just not seeing what is 'perverted' about that.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's about time we just had an entire Congress of gay people to make our decisions.
Haven't straight people proven what they like to do with our time, money and power?

think about it...the country would be fab-u-losssss..

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am amazed that actual integrity and being qualified for a position take a back seat to "image". Pretty is as pretty does. On the other hand using these "image" issues as shields is the loser way out. Yea we still got lot's of backward thinking people but just as bad are those who think just because someone fits someone is from a discriminated group they are qualified for things. Personally I could have lived without knowing the sexual orientation of any of the candidates. Not like it affects me. Go do the job you were elected for and all is well.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I thought this was a really good story. Worth reading. It looks like the country is growing up a little. At least as far as privacy in the bedroom goes. Being homosexual shouldn't matter either for or against a candidate. Ability to do a job is what should matter.

Thanks for posting this story.

Yes - - I think the country is growing up - - and soon this last major prejudice will be a thing of the past.

Not that there won't be other prejudices - - but I think this is the last major one for equality within society.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I dont see why it should matter who you are sexually attracted to or who you love.. but I guess it does to some. Id think most of the puritan crowd would be okay with a person married to a llama but having an affair with a chicken at this point...

IMO.. I really dont care who is doing what behind doors with consenting beings. Like others said.. Im MUCH more worried about the closet idiots. ( great term BTW!).

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Personally I could have lived without knowing the sexual orientation of any of the candidates. Not like it affects me. Go do the job you were elected for and all is well.

Just a point. Have you noticed how the wives of politicians are scrutinized under a microscope? (not so much husbands).

The first elected married gay man to a top office - - - is not going to be hiding his spouse in the closet.

Knowing he is gay is one thing. Making an issue of it is another.

We still have a ways to go.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Running "for" Congress or running "from" Congress?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
And in the end nobody will ever know but the people who shout to the world their preferences.

Like religion, you cannot prove what religion any person belongs to. Much like you cannot prove anyone has a homosexual preference.

In the end it is a non issue that does nothing but occupy our minds while people will take advantage of the situation to further their goals.

Let people believe and live their lives however they want to. As long as they do not harm anyone or come out ahead of anyone else what is it hurting?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join