It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody tongues and twitching eyes.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A short rant because I think my tongue is bleeding from just having seen an example of the below....

Ya ever come across a post in a thread and find that someone is trying to give you divine wisdom by breaking down a word into its "root" structure - without any clue that English is based upon many other languages - and who is coming to absolutely ridiculous conclusions based upon this "work"??? (That was me doing my best text based Andy Rooney FTR )

Example

Carcinogen
Car, a vehicle, a mode of transportation.
Sin. A crime.
Ogin ( Origin ) a cause.

Therefore, our reptilian overlords are lauding the truth over us. "Cars are the criminal causes of cancer" Therefore, to drive is to murder...

I made that one up for obvious reasons and compliance with T&C. But FOR PETES' SAKE PEOPLE! C'MON!

If we're going to understand words, or their hidden meanings, let's at least research a bit and understand the concept of etymology as we're doing so. I am not seeking to criticize people here - but the practice itself! Wait...

Pee - self explanatory
pull - to yank or extract.....

See? ( The UK folks will get it )

This message brought to you by your evil, reptilian overlords.

Now to go put some salve on my bleeding tongue....

~Heff
edit on 10/3/12 by Hefficide because: As pointed out - typo

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

its (ts) adj. The possessive form of it. Used as a modifier before a noun: The airline canceled its early flight to New York. [Alteration of it's: it + -'s.]

it's 1. contraction of it is: It's starting to rain. 2. contraction of it has: It's been a long time.

There. Did I do that right, Heff? I'm still practicing.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

No, that was a typo! The subject of a future rant maybe.

Grammar Nazi.....

~Heff
edit on 10/3/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Definition of Moderator

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin moderātor, equivalent to moderā ( rī ) to control ( see moderate) + -tor -tor

Any questions?

Source

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Definition of Moderator

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin moderātor, equivalent to moderā ( rī ) to control ( see moderate) + -tor -tor

Any questions?

Source

Actually, yes. Your point?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Definition of Moderator

Origin:

Any questions?

Source

LOL!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
But isn't it also cool when someone else gets it? I mean being schooled is usually a ego play (take brains out and compare which is bigger or whatever LOL)? I mean we are all having a unique experience and a lot of times we just don't get what that other person is talking about, right?

Sometimes we understand but these days with so much information flying around and text, email etc actually make the problem worse I think.

Now if they are being pompous well that is another thing, but if we just are not connecting or on the same wave..just smile and nod? lol
edit on 3-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
EBOLA!
EBOLA RABIES!

Sorry.. thought we were diagnosing each other AGAIN.. bleeding eyes and all.. wanted to be the first to get the diagnosis right.

hu·bris
   [hyoo-bris, hoo-] Show IPA
noun
excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.
Origin:
1880–85; < Greek hýbris insolence

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Smiling and nodding is the polite thing to do, certainly. But is it not also sort of cruel? If a person is pursuing truth then they need the proper tools.

For example, I wouldn't break out my automotive took kit to work on the computer I am currently typing on. Nor would I break out my PC repair kit to change my transmission.

Over the years I've actually seen three or four members become totally obsessed with the situation discussed in the OP and it was sad to witness. Apophenia is a troubling thing, even if I did seek to make light of it in my OP ( Rant forum - moderator or not, also a member - and human ). In this regard pointing it out and discussing it seems, to me, to be a relatively noble idea. Choosing the rant forum to do so was simply a choice of approach. I could actually have done a very serious thread in another forum, but I chose this forum to try and keep the "disinfo" accusations to a minimum.

We'll see how well that works out. So far? Admittedly not well.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Brilliant, and excellent point. Your examples made me laugh so hard I'm still crying. I've seen those kind of deconstruction absurdities around here too, but I never knew what to call them. Now I do.....

May we call them "heffinisms" ?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Erm.. I meant just to reply and not quote.. EDIT!

HEHE!!
Well, no I dont think smiling and nodding is always a bad thing.. for me anyway. I leave it to other types to instruct and coddle. I find smiling and nodding my head sometimes keeps my BP down. On certain days I might elect to give a computer kit for transmission... whats frustrating are those who break out a surgical kit to change a lightbulb all on their own and start freaking out on you for simply unscrewing it. Keeping with the whole repair thing.

More seriously though.. yeah. Sad to see those deep enders. Sometimes a kill switch doesnt sound like a bad idea. I admire patience that some folks have. Thats a definite skill..
edit on 3-10-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Tonight I wanted to go out and do some night sky photography with a mount I bought few months back. It sat on a box on my desk for months and since I wanted to do it tonight it has now vanished. I am told by my wife the universe did it to test me and see how I would react. Not surprisingly I was upset, not rage but disappointment and some anger.

Now obviously me or her or someone moved it or threw it out but it does make me wonder...if I hadn't wanted it right now it would still be sitting on my desk...apophenia or the universe laughing still does not bring back my mount... LOL
edit on 3-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I have NO idea where ANY words come from. Here in America, our language originated from England, and our words are also mixed up with Latin, and probrably about ten other languages... I don't even want to keep up. The words and their origin really doesn't matter. It's the current context, the usage of the words that really define what they mean.

That's why my grammar Nazi friends piss me off. Since American-English is a jumble of other languages and cultures, you could argue that the language itself is incorrect. Just my thought.

But, to argue that the brainwashing comes from certain words in our language? Unless these words are spells (spells that actually WORK), then I don't see how it could be potentially dangerous or wrong.

To argue that cars give you cancer?

What doesn't give you cancer?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
In Googling on this subject I came across a page with a ton of great reference links and thought I'd share. Here it is.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I have been pondering this post for about 24 hours and have come to some simple thoughts. The camera mount is part of the universe. As are you and your wife. As all being aspects of the same entity, only you, your wife, and the camera mount would even notice the situation. To the universe, you'd all just be individual "cells" if you would, and could not stand out.

In that the universe is fair as it doesn't have the capacity to judge, hold grudges, or single out. It merely exists.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I have been pondering this post for about 24 hours and have come to some simple thoughts. The camera mount is part of the universe. As are you and your wife. As all being aspects of the same entity, only you, your wife, and the camera mount would even notice the situation. To the universe, you'd all just be individual "cells" if you would, and could not stand out.

In that the universe is fair as it doesn't have the capacity to judge, hold grudges, or single out. It merely exists.

~Heff

Reminds me a lot of Alan Wilson Watts and his you are something the universe is doing just as a wave is something the whole ocean is doing. I have often thought that whole macroscopic universe (our cells and such) might certainly expand up into the universe.... still have not found my camera mount lol!

new topics

top topics

join