It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 countries, 200 years, 4 minutes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Before I start. Please watch.

The stats are there. And it is obvious which countries are not able to develop. But why? Why are we so far ahead and most countries of Africa and Asia are so far behind?

There seem to be a lot of reasons for this lack of development. I will mention of three and let other members add more to the thread. Politic, Market and Education.

Politic

Since the end of colonialism, nearly all colonized countries were led by an elite that had a political vision without medium or long term. This elite, which replaced the former colonizers, had no ambition and was more concerned about their own interests than the people's interests. The dependence has become an addiction to foreign powers, especially former colonial powers like the UK and France.

To learn more about the dependence cycle please read : en.wikipedia.org...

Market

Now this one might cause a debate. Is Capitalism the true problem solver when it comes to development? How to develop under protectionism when every one else is so far ahead? Most of these third world countries consume, but they consume foreign goods and create very little.

Education

The education system of these countries has still not adapted to the realities of today's world and the evolution of societies. Elementary education is still a luxury for most. And higher education is shaped largely as unemployed graduates, unable to undertake or to fit into the active life when they leave their training, just like here in the United States!

Now my question to you.

Are these countries unable to develop because we, the occidental society have made it impossible for development to occur with colonization,globalization and corporate greed?

edit on 3-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I believe we are without a doubt, our hogging and monopolization of resources and our unflexible beliefs added to our intolerant society makes it a really unnurturing force to be around.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CesarO
I believe we are without a doubt, our hogging and monopolization of resources and our unflexible beliefs added to our intolerant society makes it a really unnurturing force to be around.

I totally agree with you. Would you say that development is only possible when done at the expense of others?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Very interesting video.
Thanks...

But as I see the trend looking up...I fail to see a future so optimistic.
We have definitely progressed as a species on this planet.
With great progress comes even greater challenges.
Now we must clean up the mess that has been created from this progress.
We must stop abusing our resources as if they replenish ever year.
We must also stop abusing food and water.
And start maintaining more healthy lifestyles.

There are many things that need to happen in order for us to keep trucking.
Man has become more and more dependant on things that won't last.
We need to set in motion a bright future for our offspring...it doesn't look to bright today.
Everyone should start being more responsible and less wasteful.

But first we must remove greed from the equation.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think what it is showing is the actual impact of globalisation.. and while some parts of the world are still disconnected from that, once they are drawn into it then they too will feel the benefits as well as the risks, like constantly adding dominoes to the game domino rally..

As an aside, this is why I am happy to my licence fee to the beeb, their political stance to one side some of the things they produce are really good..
edit on 3/10/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When empires tare through you're country, take your riches and start to control your nation - Then # off and go after destroying the countries real infrastructure, then this is what you get - A country which has failed to drag its self out of the rut the empire left them in.

This, on top of the corporate globalization makes these countries development that somewhat, much more harder.

I can't wait till this subject turns into race, or how black people want different things from their white counterparts. Roll down the gravel and prepare for the trolls.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

there is nothing wrong with the world!... everything is running as it was designed to!!.. fully fueled by our fear and ignorance!!

do a search on here for a thread called- all roads lead to rome.. its a good place to start.

how long do you think humans have been on this planet??

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good post.
as I see it the world goes to england or US as a second best

for a good education. why?

because in there own countries religion
will not let them have total freedom of thought.
they Must do things the old way. follow the old rules.
granddad knows best.

in UK Birmingham we have whole colleges that have been taken over by asians.
a Truth... while the whites are NOT going to colleges!
doctors and dentists are mostly Asians.
I wounder how many other fields they are taking over.

so the Asians world is going to england and other western countries .
and they are taking over, surpassing the western people.
and the people of the west are dumbing down !

most of them dont go back to asia.
they dont like it back home! I must ask some I know about this.
so the asian countries will says dumb!

new topics

top topics

join