It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredibly colorful Aurora over Greenland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I never saw before such a colorful aurora. It surely was an amazing sight to look with naked eyes.

Moreover, it changes continually its shape; on the photo below, it clearly has the shape of a goat head:

Sometimes it's hard to believe what you see in the sky. During the Shelios Expedition to Greenland in late August, even veteran sky enthusiasts saw auroras so colorful, so fast changing, and so unusual in form that they could remember nothing like it.

As the ever changing auroras evolved, huge shapes spread across the sky morphed from one familiar form into another, including what looked to be the head of a goat (shown above), the head of an elephant, a strange green-tailed comet, and fingers on a celestial hand.
Even without the aurora, the sky would be notable for the arching band of our Milky Way Galaxy and the interesting field of stars, nebulas, and galaxies.

In contrast, in the foreground is a farm house in Tasiusaq, Kujalleq. Greenland. The Shelios project exists not only to observe auroras but to motivate students to consider a career in science.

Source

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There was a photo today(either in The Sun or my local paper The Evening express)of the aurora visible from just outside Aberdeen,it was bright green and quite similar to the one in Greenland.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It looks like a dragon!

Almost exactly like the prestige emblem in Black Ops...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

oh wow

that is beautiful..! its an incredible natural phenomena and they just fascinate me..!
i live on an island in the outer hebrides and we get them up here too - although im still yet to see them as vivid and bright as in the picture - but maybe someday soon..!

nice thread thanks..!

s+f for thee

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fazza!
It looks like a dragon!

Thats what I see too! It's absolutely stunning though. Seeing an aurora is definitely on my bucket list! Thanks for sharing the photo - the most colourful one i've seen yet!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

That's a truly impressive pic mate -best one I've seen.

Here's a good one from Darkroastedblend.com about divers under the arctic ice seeing the same thing.

link

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Beautiful image, thanks OP! I guess it is kind of like a Rorshach test, I saw an angel with two large wings, one on each side.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Sweet!! I see a dragon too!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It's the peace dragon from never ending story

top topics

join