It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool and some traditional Halloween recipes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Usually every year I have a huge halloween blow out here at the house. The psychic, ghost hunt, party, etc sort of thing. Im going to switch it up this year I think. Ill have a spiritualist over and ghost hunt and TRADITIONAL dinner.. and then whatever.

Ive been researching the recipes for months, and I tell you... some of this stuff I just might make for regular meals. In any case, thought Id share if there were any other Halloween lovers out there.

Main course will be a Irish Stew served in a big ol hollowed out pun'kin. I got this from Divine Dining.. and sounds delish. I think Ill use lamb rather than beef.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
3 bay leaves
2 lbs. beef stew meat
1 lg. onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. dry thyme
1 tsp. dry rosemary
4 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 1/3 C. beef broth
1/2 C. Guinness (or other dark beer)
1 1/2 C. carrots, sliced 1/2″
3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
1-2 tbsp. fresh minced parsley
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Trim most of the fat from the beef and cut into 1 to 1 1/2″ cubes.

2. In a large dutch oven (or other oven-safe dish), heat the oil or butter over medium-high heat on stove-top.

3. Add the bay leaves and cook until fragrant. Add the onions.

4. Cook onions just until translucent.

5. Add stew meat. Brown on all sides over high heat, about 2-3 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and stir in garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Add flour and stir until well mixed.

7. Return to heat and stir in beef stock until smooth. Add Guinness.

8. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken slighly.

9. Stir in potatoes, carrots, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.

10. Remove from heat, cover, and place in oven.

11. Bake, covered, about two hours, stirring occasionally.

12. Serve up in a bowl or in a pumpkin (as pictured below) with lots of hot crusty bread and butter.

The Pumpkin serving.. and eating.. vessel:

Ingredients:
1 medium pumpkin (about 10 lbs.)
1 recipe for beef stew (above)
1 tbsp. olive oil

Instructions: 1. Prepare stew. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

2. Wash the outside of the pumpkin well.

3. Cut a hole with a 5-7″ diameter into the top of the pumpkin. In the photo, a small amount of pumpkin was trimmed away to decorate the stew for a Halloween recipe. This is optional!

4. Scoop out all seeds and loose, stringy fibes (from both lid and pumpkin).

5. Place empty pumpkin in a roomy but shallow baking dish.

6. Pour in your prepared beef stew.

7. Replace the pumpkin top.

8. Brush outside of pumpkin and top with olive oil.

9. Bake about two hours, until tender.

10. For each serving, scrape out a little bit of pumpkin along with the stew.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Boxty Potato Pancakes.. a traditional recipe thats been served for centuries.

ngredients:
1 C. raw, grated potato
1 C. cooked mashed potatos (leftover is fine)
1 onion, minced fine (optional -- for savory boxty pancakes)
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 C. buttermilk
2 tbsp. butter

Instructions: 1. In a med. mixing bowl, combine the grated potato, onion (if using), and buttermilk (this keeps the potato from discoloring).

2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.

3. Add grated potato mixture, egg, and mashed potato.

4. Mix well. Batter should be about the texture of thick pancake batter. Add additional flour or buttermilk if necessary.

5. Melt butter in a heavy skillet or on a griddle.

6. Over medium heat, drop large spoonfuls of boxty batter into skillet, making approximately 6" pancakes.

7. Brown well on both sides.

Traditional Soul Cakes

Soul cakes get stale within a day or two, so eat 'em while they're hot.

Makes 12 to 15 2-inch soul cakes

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground fresh if possible

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground fresh if possible

1/2 teaspoon salt

Generous pinch of saffron

1/2 cup milk

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 egg yolks

1/2 cup currants

For the Glaze:

1 egg yolk, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the flour, the nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Mix well with a fork.

Crumble the saffron threads into a small saucepan and heat over low heat just until they become aromatic, taking care not to burn them. Add the milk and heat just until hot to the touch. The milk will have turned a bright yellow. Remove from heat.

Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon (or use an electric mixer with the paddle attachment). Add the egg yolks and blend in thoroughly with the back of the spoon. Add the spiced flour and combine as thoroughly as possible; the mixture will be dry and crumbly.

One tablespoon at a time, begin adding in the warm saffron milk, blending vigorously with the spoon. When you have a soft dough, stop adding milk; you probably won't need the entire half-cup.

Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and knead gently, with floured hands, until the dough is uniform. Roll out gently to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a floured 2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can and set on an ungreased baking sheet. You can gather and re-roll the scraps, gently.

Decorate the soul cakes with currants and then brush liberally with the beaten egg yolk. Bake for 15 minutes, until just golden and shiny. Serve warm, with cold pumpkin juice.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Im not celtic or really have any cultural ties to Halloween.. I just love the holiday. Always have. If you have any recipe that is traditional.. and especially has a history.. please share it with me. Im looking for some more recipes to flesh out my menu

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hrmm... I found this in my folder of godawful unorganized cool recipes.. This sounds perfect. Pan De Muerto... a Day of the Dead recipe.. but hmm..

e religious and agnostic alike, observance of All Saints and All Souls — the Days of the Dead, as they are commonly called in Mexico — is one of the most important events of the year. People travel hundreds of miles to take flowers and food to the graves of their departed relatives, but it is no morbid affair, as they eat and celebrate together. In some homes, an altar will be set up and decorated with yellow flowers, cempasuchil (Tagetes erecta), candles, candied skulls and fruits, tamales, mole, chocolate, and pan de muerto. In and around the capital the breads are of varying sizes, round and decorated with stylized “bones” and a round topknot representing the skull. In parts of Oaxaca, the bread is formed into human shapes, and in Michoacán, monos, small figures of animals or people, are made.
Ingredients
Starter
1 lb. (450 grams; 4 scant cups) unbleached flour, plus extra for the bowl and working surface)
½ oz. (15 grams; 1¼ tsp.) sea salt
2 oz. (60 grams; ¼ cup sugar)
~ Scant 1 ounce (25 grams; 3 scant Tbsp.) crumbled cake yeast or 1½ scant Tbsp. dry yeast
½ cup (125 milliliters) plus 2 Tbsp. water
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
~ Unsalted butter, for greasing the bowl
Final dough
½ lb. (225 grams; 1 cup) sugar
7 oz. (200 grams; 14 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the baking sheets
1 lb. (450 grams; 4 scant cups) unbleached flour, plus extra for the board and bowl
8 egg yolks, lightly beaten with 2 Tbsp. water
¼ cup (65 milliliters) water, approximately
1 tsp. orange-flower water and/or grated rind of 1 orange
Glaze
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
¼ cup (65 milliliters) melted unsalted butter, approximately
⅓ cup (85 milliliters) sugar, approximately
Steps

Make the starter: Put the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer and gradually beat in the water and eggs. Continue beating until the dough forms a cohesive mass around the dough hook, about 5 minutes; it should be sticky, elastic, and shiny. Turn out onto a floured board and form into a round cushion shape. Butter and flour a clean bowl. Place the dough in it and cover with greased plastic wrap and a towel, and set aside in a warm place (ideally 70 degrees) until the dough doubles in volume, about 2 hours.
Make the dough: Tear the starter into small pieces. Put the starter, sugar, and butter into a mixing bowl and mix well, gradually beating in the flour and egg yolks alternately. Beat in the water and flavoring — you should have a slightly sticky, smooth, shiny dough that just holds it shape (since eggs, flours, and climates differ, you may need to reduce or increase the liquid). Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a round cushion shape.
Wash out the mixing bowl, butter and flour it, and replace the dough in it. Cover with greased plastic wrap and a towel, and set aside in a warm place (ideally 70 degrees) for about 1½ hours, until it almost doubles in size, or set aside overnight in the bottom of the refrigerator.
Form the bread: Liberally grease 4 baking sheets. Bring the dough up to room temperature before attempting to work with it. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and divide the dough into two equal pieces. Set one aside for forming later.
Take three-quarters of the dough and roll it into a smooth ball. Press it out to a circle about 8 inches in diameter — it should be about 1 inch thick. Press all around the edge to form a narrow ridge, like the brim of a hat, and transfer to one of the greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place (about 70 degrees) to rise about half its size again, about 1 hour.
Taking the remaining one-quarter of the dough, divide it into four equal parts. Roll one of the parts into a smooth ball. Roll the other three into strips about 8 inches long, forming knobs as you go for the “bones.” Transfer the four pieces to another greased tray, cover loosely with greased plastic wrap, and set aside to rise for about 1 hour.
Repeat these steps to form the second bread with the other piece of dough that was set aside.
Assemble the bread: At the end of the rising period, carefully place the strips of dough forming the “bones” across the main part of the bread, place the round ball in the middle to form the “skull,” and press your finger in hard to form the eye sockets. Brush the surface of the dough well with the beaten yolks.
Bake the bread: Heat the oven to 375 degrees. When the oven is ready, bake the bread at the top of the oven until well browned and springy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door, and let the bread sit there for about 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle well with sugar.

Notes

The starter can be made ahead or t

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I absolutely LOVE Halloween. It is so much fun! Thank you for the recipes, they sound amazing! Especially the stew served in the pumpkin. YUMMY!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't cook but I ADORE Halloween/Samhain and I wish I could come to YOUR house for Halloween this year!Reading the recipes made my mouth water and the list of events you have planned sounds AWESOME! S+F

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I enjoyed reading it... thanks for sharing this nice tips...

Sanjeev Kapoor Recipes

top topics

join