It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Currancy drops 40%, protests are starting in Tehran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Could this be the change needed there to prevent THE war?

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad blamed the steep drop in Iran’s currency Tuesday on “psychological pressures” linked to Western sanctions over Tehran’s nuclear program.

The remarks were part of his attempt to deflect criticism from political rivals that his government’s policies also have contributed to the nosedive of the Iranian rial, which has lost more than half its value against the U.S. dollar this year and has sharply pushed up costs for many imported goods.

The price hikes have added to the burdens on Iran’s economy as it struggles with tougher sanctions targeting its crucial oil exports and measures blocking it from key international banking networks.

Full story here.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Wed Oct 3 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What you expect when you're average business owner cannot sell or import to/from 90% of the worlds nations?...

They WANT this to happen, so the average Iranian can rise up against their government but...
In all honesty, I think it's going to back lash.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

The AVERAGE business owner does not deal in exporting/ importing. The average business owner deals directly with their local market. The sanctions are in place to affect the larger corporations that deal in commodities. That is not to say that there will not be a trickle down effect to the average citizen caused by the higher ups not conforming to the conditions that put the sanctions in place.

Sanctions only affect the masses after prolonged defiance. So the Iranian government is responsible for this. They can stop it at any moment.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I would have to believe that having the people rise up from within is the game plan.

Really it is a win win isnt it?

We avoid a very costly war and oust the kooks in command there.

Can the people of Iran get them ousted? I think it may have failed last time with murders and beatings in the street.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by morethanyou

I have to agree but this time the rebels will be given weapons and aid from USA along with special forces training.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Not if it's supported by mossad and the cia..
Which is what is likely to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are behind it already.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Haven't seen this being discussed in any other thread, but this is important and could mean a change is about to take place in Iran...

BBC - Protests begin in Iran

There are a few things to remember here...

The current regime came to power after a revolution. Therefore, many in the country remember that hope and time of euphoria.

The last attempt by the Iranian people to begin protests didn't last, because public opinion was not on their side. There were simply not enough people willing to join the protest and beat the aggressive regime back. If there had been they would have overthrown their government by now, or would be on their way to doing it like they are right now in Syria.

Right now, millions of people across Iran are struggling in severe economic collapse. Regardless of the cause, the people are enraged by what they see as their corrupt leadership destroying their economy.

These are Iranians fighting against their own leadership, this is how it should be, and the people are more likely to create the revolution they tried to create last time now that the majority are in agreement. They are all experiencing this economic collapse, and the majority are going to be willing to try to change things through the removal of their dictator.

As you'll see from the article linked, hospital staff are reporting increases in prices for urgent supplies by up to 70% every day! The government is blocking satellite broadcasting to prevent the spread of the news around the country, which would kick off similar protests.

I think we'll see in the coming days that Iran is in a state of revolution. Lets just hope that it's fast, not too messy, and that they can replace the leadership they have with one more friendly and cooperative with the international community.

I really hope that Israel doesn't try to take advantage of this situation.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by morethanyou
Could this be the change needed there to prevent THE war?

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad blamed the steep drop in Iran’s currency Tuesday on “psychological pressures” linked to Western sanctions over Tehran’s nuclear program.

The remarks were part of his attempt to deflect criticism from political rivals that his government’s policies also have contributed to the nosedive of the Iranian rial, which has lost more than half its value against the U.S. dollar this year and has sharply pushed up costs for many imported goods.

The price hikes have added to the burdens on Iran’s economy as it struggles with tougher sanctions targeting its crucial oil exports and measures blocking it from key international banking networks.

The U.S. and its allies have imposed the punishing measures to try to persuade Iran to negotiate over its nuclear program, which the West says is aimed at developing atomic weapons.

Tehran insists the program is for peaceful purposes.

Full story here.

Amusing...you wrote one sentence and then copied and pasted the article.

Perhaps a MOD will take appropriate action.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I totally agree. A collapse of regime could be just sparking off. Would be very cheap for the west. Let the Persians figure it out amongst themselves.

Can you imagine just for a second, how much in resources are going to be spared a hasty end.

It really didn't even take to long. Wham Bam thank you ma'am, one week the west pulls a certain group off the terror list and wham bam, Ackmadinnajacket speaks at the UN, and like magic the people there are taking up pitch forks and torches.

I really hope they can get some traction this time. I suspect the west is right in there molly coddling this right along.

I just wanted to add, I like it. The idea of it that is.

Oh by the way, just saying.
edit on 3-10-2012 by morethanyou because: Oh by the way, just saying.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
How deeply do the Iranians feel about their own regime change?
The protests of a year or so ago would suggest they are disenchanted with the revolution.....
Perhaps sanctions are tightening the noose, but the Mullahs seem in strict control right now.....
With the Basge /sic (militias) shooting civilians from the rooftops, i doubt the Iranians are pissed off enough to try again just yet.....But with escalating shortages, the climate for revolution gets more conducive to action every day.....
On the other hand why are we making war against the babies, the sick and the elderly?
The whole thing sucks and those who are guilty of initiating these crises never get what they deserve.
By the way yer sister wears army boots........................

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Now if America will finally help them achieve regime change we might have some peace. If America does not help them this time WWIII will be our own fault.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well if they were rising up or rebelling, its as over as a match hitting the pond.

Send in the IDF.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by morethanyou

Looks like a Rothschild Strategy to me. Rothschild collapsed Europe, now it's Iran's turn.

He's good.
edit on 9-10-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join