It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous - Operation Pirate Bay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I love how people compare these millionaire actors and musicians to poor, up and coming people, and how by downloading blockbuster movies or CD's by famous musicians you are denying some poor guy his livelihood

Get real...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Here we go putting words in my mouth, telling me what I mean, whats next? I doubt the little guy bases his entire income on an app, that is absurd. Stop "using" the little guy to back up your belief system.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

True in some sense of your post but do you know how many average joe people work on the tv/film sets. People that handle the lighting, casting, food catering and the list of employees goes on and on and on. What about them? They have to get paid. They need to be employed. I am against censorship of the internet and the entertainment industry indeed needs to overhaul it's outdated methods and get with the times but there are tons of jobs on the line and there is true loss of income to al involved in making these great entertainment productions that many enjoy. It's not as easy as we downloaders and uploaders would like it seem.

There are genuine concerns. The problem cannot be battled by inflated numbers from the entertainment industry anymore than those called pirates can use the excuse that the big wigs are rich and fat and doing well and that all corporations are evil. None of that is factual. Real people are effected by these issues on both sides of the isle.

The real issues are not being properly discussed in an open manner so that those who enjoy the entertainment get what they want in more ways and at affordable and meaningful ways. Innovations have allowed that to be a possibility. The entertainment industry needs to relize these innovations and put there consumers first and take note that they can make immense profits all around by doing exactly what the consumers demand.

It comes down to control of content and ultimately money. There are good guys and bad guys on both sides. Now we as a whole must find a way to resolve that or face imminent loss of liberties as a people. And that goes for all involved.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

S&F... I think you are wrong about your last statement about the politicians. ALL politicians are corrupt. Its by their very nature. To need some 'proof' on the deeds of some politicians just means that you havent been able to identify completely the system you are in. Even the seemingly uncorruptable... unfortunately there is no such thing.

Very good looking out on the anonymous front.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
The thing is, torrent sites are sharing sites. It is like giving my friend a song which he, in turn, gives to another friend. That other friend does the same and it all happenes forever.

If they really hate it, why not do as some video games publishers are doing? Only those who buy a song/movie can use it after entering a unique download code.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
When Hollywood moguls start queuing for food stamps, I'll start believing "piracy" affects the industry.

I'm yet to pirate anything I would have paid for otherwise. I have, however, paid for many an item that deterred me from ever being ripped off again.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by oasisjack

Instead of a loaf of bread lets say you invent something like an ipad. Is it ok if I buy it and reverse engineer it then start making my own and giving them away? I paid for it and it costs you nothing for me to make them. China makes a fortune doing it.

If you really like the music you could always record yourself singing the songs. Maybe someday the record companies will give the cds away for free. They could sell advertising space in the middle of the songs to cover expenses.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I think the rationale behind torrents is it's essecially no different than say you making a dvd copy of a tv show and giving the dvd to a friend for them to watch. They're not gonna sell it for profit, you didn't sell it for profit. They just want to get caught up on the tv show they missed that's all. No harm done. That represents 99.99% of torrent users. They're borrowing an epesode from a friend to get caught up on there TV, or borrowing a song from a friend, or a movie. I'm not like as if they all of a sudden will never go to a movie theater as a result. If anything by people keeping up with TV it only helps hollywood make more of it, as people are more likely to subscribe to cable for example.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

File sharing is not true piracy. These are people sharing their own copies of a product, that's all it is.

The companies can't claim money on it so they have to make stuff up and make it seem like a bad thing so they can force consumers to buy their product and get richer.

And to top it off, most of that money is not going to the artists, it's going to the lawyers and the people who own the rights to the works.

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

I suppose in defense of the lawyers etc, they're job is to maximize profits for people like RICA. And that's all there doing, is a job. I guarantee the exact same lawyers who work for RICA and defend there rights, go home after work, log onto pirate bay to download some of there favorites. I guarantee it! The idea of them trying to shut down pirate bay is so stupid. It's like napster. They shut that down and a thousands more spring up in it's place. Or they go from torrents to streaming which is the new wave, as no one wants to bother with torrents anymore. That's only if you need to export to your iphone. Now a days everything is streaming live in short order on a gazillion sites such as Channel131 and zmovie.tv and others.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

But you do no such thing. How do you?

If I grow apples and my apples then make some cider company billions in profit, while I get pennies for apples.. Who is losing if someone else steals the cider?

I don't .. My apples still sell at a pittance. Pun intended.

I make a fine apple. Someone else gives me a set amount. They make a cheap brand tosh.. Sell it for $45 a pint.

Who's being the loser? The artists, but none of it is because some joe fagin went and pick pocketed his musical notes and made himself a wotsit to resell his newly nicked netload of naughty notations..

Because they're screwed from the same people who screw the average listener with $20 price tags on 30 year old music. In a .0001 Dollar a day Digital Age.

Pirates? Argh so infuriating. I'm using a Free "Ear App" to listen to the radio for free. Yep, You can make one for less than a dollar too..

O.o

edit on 5-10-2012 by winofiend because: Sorry Joe Fagan, I had no idea your name was close. I put Fagin right in the name lol just incase never mind dont look here it's not true the spam is true I tells ya a lie I mean..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

File sharing is not true piracy. These are people sharing their own copies of a product, that's all it is.

Huh?

If I pay 15 dollars for a CD and are it with 1000 other people for free, that is not piracy? theft? No one is losing out?
So your favorite band can sell one CD and everyone can get a copy for free. I wonder after living expenses, how wonderful that next album is going to be with what is left of that 15 dollars.

Everyone that has a copy, what you call sharing, has a pirated copy. If I share my car, I do not still get to drive it while someone is driving it do I?

Are you telling me people on PB share files by uploading them and then deleting them and then only one other person has it until they are ready to share it with someone else by uploading it to be available to one other person and then deleting it?

Or are people getting their own copies of stuff for free?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andcoulter

Huh?

If I pay 15 dollars for a CD and are it with 1000 other people for free, that is not piracy? theft? No one is losing out?
So your favorite band can sell one CD and everyone can get a copy for free. I wonder after living expenses, how wonderful that next album is going to be with what is left of that 15 dollars.

Everyone that has a copy, what you call sharing, has a pirated copy. If I share my car, I do not still get to drive it while someone is driving it do I?

Are you telling me people on PB share files by uploading them and then deleting them and then only one other person has it until they are ready to share it with someone else by uploading it to be available to one other person and then deleting it?

Or are people getting their own copies of stuff for free?

If the other 1000 people would never had bought the $15.00 cd anyway, the artist is not out any money. We are talking about profit he was never going to get anyway.
Case in point; my sister-in-law burned a dvd of a movie for me. I haven't been to a theater in 20 years and am too much of a tightwad to buy a dvd that I am only going to watch once and may not like anyway. There is no way on earth I would EVER have paid a dime for that movie. The fact that she shared it with me cost the artists or producers nothing.
I don't see how that would be any different from her inviting me and 1000 other people over to watch the dvd at her house
My conscious is clean.
edit on 10/5/2012 by Sparky63 because: added comment & spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Why is society slowly decaying?

In my opinion the population that I can see, from my prospective, is full of self-entitled people. A room full of end users who are unhappy with the products that are being created, but still find it totally necessary to watch/listen/read every piece of it. In a world full of anti-Hollywood and anti-record label rantings, there still seems to be a long list of people who still want that "crap" as it is called. You may not see it as stealing because “you wouldn't have bought it anyways”, but it still seems like you are extremely unhappy about not being able to download and watch/listen/read it right now. The free exchange of ideas is still available to all of you that seek it. But the cost of one man/woman’s ideas should not be determined by the person who wants it, it should be determined by the person who created it. Don't like that multi-billionaire club in Hollywood... Stop watching. Don't like those giant record labels... Stop listening. Make your own. Want the world to change maybe you should start the revolution yourself.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlpineFrost
Why is society slowly decaying?

In my opinion the population that I can see, from my prospective, is full of self-entitled people. A room full of end users who are unhappy with the products that are being created, but still find it totally necessary to watch/listen/read every piece of it. In a world full of anti-Hollywood and anti-record label rantings, there still seems to be a long list of people who still want that "crap" as it is called. You may not see it as stealing because “you wouldn't have bought it anyways”, but it still seems like you are extremely unhappy about not being able to download and watch/listen/read it right now. The free exchange of ideas is still available to all of you that seek it. But the cost of one man/woman’s ideas should not be determined by the person who wants it, it should be determined by the person who created it. Don't like that multi-billionaire club in Hollywood... Stop watching. Don't like those giant record labels... Stop listening. Make your own. Want the world to change maybe you should start the revolution yourself.

There is a revolution under way. People are revolting against the multi-billionare club in Hollywood. That is why this thread even exists in the first place. There is no going back to the way it was.
The cost of a mans ideas may be determined by him, but the value is determined by the end user. If I don't value it enough I won't pay for it. I gladly pay pay for things that have intrinsic value. Music and movies don't fall into that category.
edit on 10/5/2012 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Why do you collect things that you state have no intrinsic value? If these items were worthless to you, then why is it so important that you have access to them. You take them because you can, not because they have no worth.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AlpineFrost

There is a difference between value of the heart and value of the dollar. Maybe he's just fascinated.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Why do you collect things that you state have no intrinsic value? If these items were worthless to you, then why is it so important that you have access to them. You take them because you can, not because they have no worth.

I don't collect them. It is not important that I have access to them. You seem to have inaccurately concluded that I am part of this great cloud of downloaders, but I am not. I do however support file sharing and believe that the current copyright laws are seriously flawed and antiquated.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

My appologies for the assumption. I just think that the world would be a better place if we put more work into resolving the issues that many of you have with the Copyright laws, instead of remaining on the path of supporting sites that allow people to just take someone elses ideas simple because they can.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

My appologies for the assumption. I just think that the world would be a better place if we put more work into resolving the issues that many of you have with the Copyright laws, instead of remaining on the path of supporting sites that allow people to just take someone elses ideas simple because they can.

No apologies necessary, I can see how my posts would lead you to that conclusion. These companies chose to release their product on media that is easily copied by a vast selection of free software available to almost anyone in the world. They did so knowing full well what the result would be. You reap what you sow. There industry will soon be going down the same path as typewriter manufactures. There is no going back. They need to evolve or invent a new technology that cannot be reproduced or shared. I shed no tears for them.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

They shut down Demonoid.

So the Pirate Bay is probably next.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join