It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printer Confiscated From Wiki Weapon Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Some history: Wiki-Weapon Thread
DIY Arms Thread

Looks like what little popularity they have received has backfired for the moment.

The company he leased his equipment from didnt like what he was doing:

Turns out the company that leased Defense Distributed its 3-D printer doesn’t see it that way. In a letter to Wilson dated Sept. 26, the legal counsel for Stratasys Inc. informed Wilson that it was cancelling his lease of the company’s uPrint SE printer. “It is the policy of Stratasys not to knowingly allow its printers to be used for illegal purposes,” the company wrote, noting that Wilson lacked a federal license for manufacturing firearms.

Note the knee-jerk usage of the term "illegal" no doubt used in absolute ignorance since nothing he was doing or is planning to do is in any way illegal.

Despite living in the "information age" with a terminal in everyones face people still like to make up whats legal or not on the spot using the simple litmus test if I dont like it it must me illegal.

Wilson has maintained that he doesn’t need a license, because he’s not planning to sell the weapon. But Stratasys was not impressed. Wired's Danger Room blog reports that the company’s representatives showed up at his door to seize the device.

It's perfectly fine for the company, IMO, to say they dont like what he's doing and to just end their partnership but dragging out a bunk "illegal" card to justify their position isnt going to end well.

Slate Article

From ATF Online:

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.
link

edit on 3-10-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hell i even know a cop with an ffl that thinks its illegal to make your own gun...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Hell i even know a cop with an ffl that thinks its illegal to make your own gun...

Which finely illustrates the dangers of making the law up as you go.

Not just an idiot FFL holder but a cop no less.

I'd rather these people simply said they didnt know or were unsure rather than hopelessly believe the wrong answer with 100% conviction.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by phroziac

Which finely illustrates the dangers of making the law up as you go.

Not just an idiot FFL holder but a cop no less.

I'd rather these people simply said they didnt know or were unsure rather than hopelessly believe the wrong answer with 100% conviction.

Agreed completely. He even thinks open carry is illegal and "brandishing". I do my best to stay out of his township

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Surprisingly... I'm actually glad that the 3d printer leasing company did what they did.

The reason is that I very much like the idea of everybody having 3d printers which are as unrestricted as possible.

If you're going to make guns, for crying out loud, keep it on the down low. But I can't help but wonder, why guns? Of all the things you could think up (kinda literally), why something as common and as easily obtainable as guns?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper

If you're going to make guns, for crying out loud, keep it on the down low. But I can't help but wonder, why guns? Of all the things you could think up (kinda literally), why something as common and as easily obtainable as guns?

You sort of answered your own question. Your own is on the down low. No paperwork to send the stasi knocking on your door.

That reason aside my number one reason for doing just about anything is simply to see if I can. Maybe I'm abnormally curious that way but everyday I find things I havent done and try or at least plan out how I could get it done simply to see if I can.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
To prove that gun control is futile. Thats why.

Its super easy to get a gun on the down low anyway. Didnt you hear about that sheriff that sold the departments weapons? Lol. Ever been to a gun show? Infact the atf wont give you an ffl just to sell guns at gun shows.....which means they want people to sell them on the down low. Its also illegal to call nics for a private sale.

But you cant ban anything now that we have 3d printers.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
They could put a stop to it.

If they just buy all the bullets. Oh wait...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just buy the damn printer.

top topics

join