It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths Unsolved X-files (Part 5)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+121 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
21. The Men in the Lead Masks

Firstly, a big shout-out to ATS member GogoVicMorrow for bringing this one to the table - a worthy addition indeed!

In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1966, two strange deaths occurred. Even today the deaths of these two men occurred under what can only be described as unique paranormal circumstances.

The deaths have yet to be explained and it’s unclear whether the men were murdered or the deaths were self-induced. There were several objects found around the men and the case has been called the Lead Masks Case. On August 17th 1966 two electronic technicians, Manoel Pereira da Cruz and Miguel José Viana, told friends and family they were going to buy some supplies for work and buy a car. They were reported to have the money to buy the car already with them. They stopped in a shop to get a bottle of water and a rain coat. The waiter later claimed the two appeared to be in a hurry as one was always checking his watch. The bartender was the last one to see the two men alive.

A young man found the bodies three days later and called the police who began an investigation into the deaths of the men. The police determined the last moments the men were alive and found some items that represented their last moments alive. They were both dressed in suits and they had on waterproof coats. They wore lead eye masks with no holes such as one would wear to protect form radiation. They also found an empty water bottle, a notebook, and two towels. The money they were supposed to be carrying for the purchase of a car wasn’t found.

The notebook caused confusion in the case because in contained these words in Portuguese

“16:30 be at agreed place, 18:30 swallow capsules, after effect protect metals wait for mask signal.”

Suits: this indicates that the men were planning to meet someone, but since it’s not known what their original attire would be this is hard to determine.
The Lead Masks: this told investigators that then men were expecting to encounter some type of radioactivity. There was no radiation detected at the site and its possible their meeting place could have been at some other location.
The Towels and Jackets: the towels suggested they were expecting to encounter moisture and their jackets indicate this as well. UFOs were seen in the area on the 17th and according to the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy towels are required for space travel. The guide was published ten years after this even occurred.
The Water Bottle: they were to return this bottle to the bar. They did drink the water but didn’t return the bottle. Notes: These are the biggest part of the mystery as it’s unclear who they were to meet at the arranged place.

The toxicology report turned up nothing on the capsules because the organs were not preserved. It’s not clear if they took the capsules or not. It appears they were waiting for someone to tell them to put on their masks.

Ghosttheory.com
Wikipedia
oddx.com

22. The Nomoli Skystones.

Mr Klaus Dona continues to amaze me with his findings of artifacts that simply defy modern academia in regards to our ancient past. Here is another example.........

At 17000 years, this unusual Nomoli figure is also the oldest. A small metal ball was hidden in a hollow space inside it. An analysis showed that it is made from chrome and steel. However, the metal ball was already in the figure when it was found. How did it get there? And much more important - where did the metal come from? - The blue “Skystones” are another mystery. A legend says: The part of the sky in which the Nomoli lived turned to stone. It splintered and fell to Earth as pieces of rock. Scientists found traces of iridium in the “Skystones”.

Iridium is one of the least abundant elements in the Earth's crust, having an average mass fraction of 0.001 ppm in crustal rock; It is thought that the overall concentration of iridium on Earth is much higher than what is observed in crustal rocks, but because of the density and siderophilic ("iron-loving") character of iridium, it descended below the crust and into the Earth's core when the planet was still molten. Iridium is found in meteorites with an abundance much higher than its average abundance in the Earth's crust. For this reason the unusually high abundance of iridium in the clay layer at the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary gave rise to the Alvarez hypothesis that the impact of a massive extraterrestrial object caused the extinction of dinosaurs and many other species 65 million years ago.

When searching for diamonds in West African Sierra Leone, local people made unexpected finds: They repeatedly came across 40 to 70 cm tall stone sculptures. The origin of these so-called Nomoli is uncertain. Some were discovered at depths of 50 metres. This means that they must be about 17,000 years old. A date which does not conform to today’s archaeological knowledge. Where did the Nomoli come from? Were they left by an alien culture which disappeared long ago?

Klaus Dona
Wikipedia

23. The Naga Fireballs

Having been to a Full Moon Festival in Thailand about ten years ago, I can personally attest to the authenticity of these balls – as can thousands of others, including numerous photos and vids. Their reality is not in dispute – what they are and what causes them is & scientific analysis leaves you still scratching your head, as always, check out the links and decide for yourself.............

For hundreds of years, villagers in Thailand have believed that a serpent in the Mekong River spits out tens of thousands of egg-sized glowing red orbs to pay homage to Buddha at the end of the Buddhist Lent. Scientists aren’t exactly sure why this strange phenomenon happens at the same time every year, and some people say it’s a long-running hoax, but every year people from all over the world gather to watch the Naga fireballs shoot out of the Mekong river and rise hundreds of feet into the sky before disappearing.
Locals deny a possibility of hoax - Naga fireballs often are observed in very secluded places where the putative "organiser" of fireballs has nearly no chances to impress anyone. It is just weird to imagine countless Thai and Laotian people keeping themselves busy by making illuminations in remote lakes and rivers.
In such circumstances the possibility of fraud seems to be quite low - who would manage to organise such illumination without getting caught in the act? Naga fireballs rose from the river during the hostilities between Thailand and Laos: the border was heavily guarded then and it is little likely that somebody would risk his life to organise the fraud.

wondermondo.com
time.com

edit on 3-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

24. The Dancing plague of 1518

Not all X-Files are scary – some are just plain weird to the point of funny, yet remain unsolved to this very day, like this one...........

In July of 1518, Frau Troffea of Strasbourg, France (then part of the Holy Roman Empire) began to dance frantically in the streets. Within a month, 400 people began to do the same, eventually collapsing and dying of heart attack, exhaustion, and stroke.

Doctors at the time were at a loss. Notes from the city council reveal that the cause of the dancing was unknown, only that the victims were not dancing willingly. Then, as suddenly as it began, in August the Dancing Plague of 1518 was over leaving almost 400 dead, a population baffled, and a mystery that has lasted half of a millennium. Some have blamed the dancing plague on mass hysteria, the result of eating contaminated bread, or even religious ecstasy.

Although the plague never reappeared in France a similar case of the frantic dancing cropped up in Madagascar in 1840's. In both cases, the cause was never found.

slightlywarped.com
Wikipedia

25. The Hammer of Texas

Made from 96% iron, 2.6% chlorine, and 0.74% sulfur. There are no bubbles in it at all. The quality of which equals or exceeds the quality of any iron found today. No biggie – except it for the nagging point that a team of Archaeologists checked it, and as it turns out, the rock encasing the hammer was dated back more than 140 million years – give or take a few mill. The 2 links below present both sides of the argument. For me this is only one of hundreds of artifacts and foot/hand prints that have shown up in rock or other strange places the world over – How long have we actually been here on this planet?

In June 1936 (or 1934 by some accounts), Max Hahn (1897-1989) and his wife Emma were hiking along Red Creek near London, Texas. It was there that they discovered an artifact which seemed completely out of place. What they found was a unique piece of wood protruding from a rock concretion.
When the rock was broken by their son in 1947, it revealed an iron hammer with a wooden handle. it was completely enclosed in limestone. Geologists are certain: The hammer must be of the same age as the rock layer. However, they estimate the age of the rock at 140 million years. No human life existed at that time. Or did it?
Skeptics have their own possible solution: The “hammer from Texas” was lost by a mine worker in the 19th century. But nevertheless it is a mystery: How did the hammer become enclosed in sedimentary rock so quickly?

Paleo.com
worldpress

edit on 3-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: cleaned up links

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I have been fortunate enough to witness with my own eyes The Naga Fireball phenomenon. Absolutely amazing and is defo one of the best experiences I'v ever had. When I went, you could see hundereds of people lining the river bank to watch it. Stunning.

Edit to add: The folklore behind the phenomenon is pretty weird, like most stories. But this one has a few videos and photos of some sort of Dragon which is supposed to live beneath the Mekong river. O.k their not good photots or videos, but it just adds a real nice mysterious elemtent to the phenomenon, Which is always cool

Anyway, thanks for another fantastic list. What you put in you're lists are the reasons I visit ATS

Thank you for sharing.
edit on 3-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The lead mask case was really odd.

For the Dancing Plague I think I know what happened. (Hmm, just as I'm writing this there's a show on television where one of the characters is explaining a gift she gave to another: "It's a magic flute, when you hear it you can't stop dancing". Weird coincidence)

Tarantallegra (TAIR-an-tuh-LEG-ruh) "tarantella" It. dance associated with the tarantula, from Taranto, a city in Italy + "allegro" It. fast

Forces the victim's legs to do a crazy dance.

HP lexicon, spells from Harry Potter.

This is another great part in the series, it's a wonderful contribution to ATS. Thank you.

edit on 3-10-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
darn you Sublimecraft for another excellent post, i learn alot of things i didn't know and helps me research further... just shut up and take my star and flag already

I hope theirs more to come.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
S&f my friend. Imagine my sheer joy at seeing this in the new topics section. As usual, a superb job. Keep them coming.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
thank you for this post mate great stuff to learn about,
thats why i love ATS

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Another brilliant thread full of weird stuff, thank you sir.

Please keep them coming.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

There is a neurological disease, commonly called "St. Vitus' Dance." that fits the description for that affliction.
I had a boyhood friend that contracted it and survived after a couple of months in the hospital. It can cause further problems like heart problems. He died at an early age.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
As for the Texas Hammer (and other artifacts found in rock that don't belong either due to time and/or place), when rock is molten, does that effect dating of that rock? I don't know and I ask because if the rock's age (as far as dating methods are concerned) stays the same, couldn't new items be placed in old molten rock, left to cool and found later? Could this (whether innocent coincidence/mistake or deliberate hoax) explain this type of artifact?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

That is a valid conclusion, but there are foot prints along side "dinosaur" prints in museums as well so I think there is a bit more to it than that.

Check out the first link of that story - written by those who believe it is nothing abnormal, albeit coincidental - cheers for your feedback - its much appreciated - question everything believe nothing until you are personally satisfied

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I thought the dancing plague was due to ergot growing on wheat which villages then ate? The later stages of egotism cause hallucinations though for some people it makes them so ill they just cant move and die. Ergot alkaloid is the main ingredient of '___' 25

I think Ergot poisoning was rife at the time especially in France.

edit on 3-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Although the reports in this case appear quite localized, your reasoning is in keeping with others' findings, in that the consumption of bread was the cause - which could indeed be the case.

It would be interesting to see if the same conclusion could be drawn for the Madagascar case in the 1840's.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Absolutely entertaining posts!! I have seen many videos of the fireballs and find it pretty amazing! I would love to witness this firsthand.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
this is the first time i have heard of the fireball phenomenon and i am blown away, that is truly amazing. The hammer in the rock is also pretty interesting, made me think of Thor
i love these threads, please keep them coming

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
great stuff. Thanks again for adding to the list. I've never heard of the Texas Hammer (other than some douche-lawyer here that advertises as such).

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot
As for the Texas Hammer (and other artifacts found in rock that don't belong either due to time and/or place), when rock is molten, does that effect dating of that rock? I don't know and I ask because if the rock's age (as far as dating methods are concerned) stays the same, couldn't new items be placed in old molten rock, left to cool and found later? Could this (whether innocent coincidence/mistake or deliberate hoax) explain this type of artifact?

It would seem to me that if you drop a hammer into molten rock it would probably melt the head, and would almost certainly reduce the handle to ash.

The most interesting to me is the 17,000 year old chromium steel. How does that happen?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Great thread yet again, Mr. Sublimecraft!

Keep it coming!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

"Learn a lot of things I didn't know" that's a strange phrase for a thread concerning events that have no explanations...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Hey now. Your threads are cool. Always an interesting read. The two dudes in Brazil intrigued me. I had to go further. There is this about it. It explains the case in a little more detail for those interested. Check out their "masks"...

uniqueexplorer.blogspot.com...

----

As far as the Texas Hammer, I think I found a solution. If the hammer was lost in a cave and the water dripping from the ceiling fell on it and encased it in a "Stalagmite"...

From the link you provided...

What they found was a unique piece of wood protruding from a rock concretion.
When the rock was broken by their son in 1947, it revealed an iron hammer with a wooden handle. it was completely enclosed in limestone.

If a miner lost a hammer in a dark cave 100(?) years ago and then it was covered up by secreting calcium carbonate from the ceiling? I don't know what would collapse the cave or maybe it was hauled out in tailings mining for the same thing. That area would require further exploration. Maybe the spaniards were there burying Montezuma's gold. The hammer head actually looks about the size of a modified railroad spike. Toughest hunk of iron around in them days.
edit on 3-10-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join