It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there bigger HYPOCRITES on this planet then atheists???

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Jesus was a illegal alien carpenter and Virgin Mary was a filthy disease ridden hooker. When Jesus ascended to heaven everyone was astonished looking up his man dress. For what they saw is still a closely guarded secret among religious circles and holy blood lines.

Now, instead of wasting time arguing with me about a silly man made construct such as this, why not debate something that will be for the betterment of the earth and its citizens. I have no stake in any religion, christian, atheism, bahai, muslim, buddhism, scientology, satanism, sikh, wicca, seventh day adventist, jehovah witness, hinduism, judaism etc.. I'm sure I left a couple of hundred out. You get my point though. Think about it.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

i joined this site just to respond to your very aggressive stance on atheism and i feel you could use a little education .. considering that is something you seem to lack. atheism is a lack of theism. or a lack of a religious belief or god, being atheist it is my duty as a honorable and respectable human being to do the best for my race as possible. and i sure as Sh*T dont know about you. but as for me . there is no racial denotation of our people. you life on earth , you have 46 chromosomes, 2 legs, 2, arms, smile, laugh, cry, and hurt, your a human and thats that. i work in health care, im a patient transporter by day and a home health care aide by night, do i believe there is a power behind all the horrible things that i have seen in my life.. yeah.. its the decisions you and i make ever day. the decision no matter how small effect the people i life around, and we are all in each others hands. . do i do the things that i do for money, fame , or wealth, no i do them because it puts me in a situation to help better some ones life.. when i give a homeless man money, do i look up to the sky and thank "god" for giving me the means to do it and then look to him to acknowledge my good deed and shine his grace on me. i mean how hypocritical is that .. doing a good deed and expecting something back from it. and you can sit there and say you dont expect any thing. but you do .. you expect gods blessings. and you know what. that kinda makes you and all your kind a bunch of jerks. atheists are more likely to give to people than are the pious. we are more likely to do humanitarian deed and no expect a dang thing back. sure there is charity and all that .. but in the end. every person taht goes to church, and gives any thing. expects gods grace in return.. in the future i would like for your ignorant, tiny, sheeply, shallow, Christan brain to expel any "knowledge" you think you have of atheism .. and that goes for the rest of you research before you talk. you know how many people god killed in the bible? 2,038,344... you know how many satan? 10... did you know got sent 2-3 female bears to kill 42 children? did you know that jesus hates fig trees, because he went to one when he was hungy and it bore no fruit, so he cursed the tree .. LOL , did you know that the church says to help the poor but clothe them selfs in fine fabrics and surround them selfs with gold artifacts... did you know organized religion held back scieentific progress for 200-300 years during the dark ages. are you aware that more people have died in the name of "god" than were or are ever saved? are you aware that shallow, ignorant people like your self are killing this planet.. think bigger than you bro.. you mean nothing in the cosmic scale, i mean nothing.. we are here for eachother.. so why bother with hate. when its so much better to love. to do good , and do just drop all the BS and realize.. we are all humans.. and we are all we have for right now..

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Character counts, Christian or otherwise. Anyone who would let an innocent man die for their sins isn't worth saving.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Empathy is the bases of morality, not gods.

We didn't decide rape is bad because a god came down from the sky and told us. People agree that it's bad because we've either been raped, or witnessed what rape does to others, and we empathized and agreed that it was bad, because no body wants rape to happen to them or their loved ones.

We didn't decide Murder was bad because a god came down from the sky and told us "hey guys you shouldn't kill" we decided it was bad because no one wants to be killed, and we've witnessed how families are effected by murders, and we agreed that it was bad.

No one likes having their things stolen, so thanks to our ability to empathized we agree that thieves are doing something that causes others to suffer.

Athiests, christians muslims jews, buddhists, etc.. are all humans, and with the exception of people with mental development issues, all humans have brains capable of empathy and compassion.

We are social animals, even in our most primitive stages we understood that certain behaviors where detrimental to our way of survival.

The only morals i'd attribute to belief in gods are the highly subjective and typically dismissed laws like not working on the Sabbath, not eating shell fish, not wearing clothing of multiple fabrics, or wearing your hair/beard a certain way. Those morals only exist in specific religions, they are far from universal, and today most followers don't stress those laws at all.
edit on 4-10-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

And empathy seems to be lacking more and more these days, replaced with political intrigue and sociological games. You play a card to be what you want to be, or to convince people they should like you. Empathy is an increasingly irrelevant factor in the chess game.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

And if one could take your idea a step further, it could be inferred that those of a religious persuasion might be pegged first and foremost with having a more stifled empathetic reflex then those who do not follow any such belief system.

All of your examples are prime candidates to prove my point. For instance, look at how the Old Testament deals with a thief, a rapist or a murder. Not a very compassionate approach. For that matter, look at modern day "Christian" hot spots even here on this continent. Texas still upholds the death penalty, last time I checked. We have all agreed that murder is wrong, but yet we can justify it if given the proper presuppositions (i.e. God said so). Being tethered to what they view as an absolute god, believers are stuck with the impossible duty of qualifying the quagmire of sliding morality/ethics. Their humanity pulls them away from the Bronze Age violence of our past, but their dogma pulls them back because of their fear of upsetting their god.

It is an unfortunate predicament.

There is not an argument coherent enough to sufficiently make bare the underlining dementia of this OP’s line of thinking.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

There is not an argument coherent enough to sufficiently make bare the underlining dementia of this OP’s line of thinking.

Or, indeed, the entire universe. Yet another reason many fall back on religion: because it gives meaning despite the confusion - in every sense of the phrase - and that's all they want.
edit on 4-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My philosophy is morality without deity. Even the Bible delves into this issue:

“If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?” (Luke 11:11-13)

So, even Christians knows that evil men still know right from wrong. Now, just because I don't follow your teachings does not mean I am going to commit random acts of violence. In fact, belief in a higher being does not preclude an individual from committing evil acts.

The more I think about this the more I see the prideful nature coming from the believers. And that nature is "if you don't believe as I do, you are more evil than I am because my beliefs are better than yours". Judge not least you be judged.

You stated in your OP "I get it, many Christians fail, as do atheists, but why are we judged so harshly and atheists are not judged at all. At least we have a standard, yeah we fail at it and we still sin, but we have that standard." If accept that mantle and then proclaim to the World just how good you are, then yes, you will be judged more harshly. But what right do you have to judge anyone whatever they believe? Isn't Christianity supposed to be a personal relationship with God? Then where do those who follow Christ have the right to tell me I am good or evil? And how can you judge what standard I live by without knowing who I am?

I understand you may 'fear for my soul', but what happens to my soul is between me and God. If more Christians would use compassion and understanding instead of judgement and accusation, we may get along better.

Here is my proclamation to you: As a true Atheist I will never belittle your beliefs. I will never try to force my beliefs onto you. I will never demonstrate against any religion. I will never think I am better than you because of how I live my life. I will, however, defend myself against others who wish to judge me as we are all equal and human.
edit on 4-10-2012 by ObservingTheWorld because: Clairification

edit on 4-10-2012 by ObservingTheWorld because: See above

edit on 4-10-2012 by ObservingTheWorld because: ^

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingTheWorld

So what makes you think there isn't a higher power? Mind you, I am not judging; I'm simply curious to know the thought process that leads one to conclude "I don't believe there is any higher power of any definition".

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Exactly the thought process that you use. It is what I feel. It is my observations on the world around me. I have the exact same evidence for no deity as you do for deity.

Really, when it comes down to it, the only real evidence for God or the lack thereof comes from opinions and feelings. In this life, in this World, neither can be right nor wrong. We are Schrodinger's cat. We are in the box. It is after we let lose this mortal coil that we will finally have definitive proof in what we believed.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I maintain my human right to evaluate (judge) other people's beliefs, especially when said beliefs empower those people to set up a government ("in god [they] trust") where it is legal to have sex with a horse, but illegal to have a quarter ounce of pot on your person. When another man's beliefs have a profound effect on my life, I have the right to judge.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I would assume that it would be the same line of thinking that brings me not to assume the existence of leprechauns.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

The problem with your argument is you are looking at secular judgement, which I agree with for the reasons you stated and even more than that. This topic, however, pertains to religious beliefs and if I as a non-believer am more evil than a person who believes in a God.
edit on 4-10-2012 by ObservingTheWorld because: I'm confuseded

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

And empathy seems to be lacking more and more these days, replaced with political intrigue and sociological games. You play a card to be what you want to be, or to convince people they should like you. Empathy is an increasingly irrelevant factor in the chess game.

I'm sorry but I don't see it. Could you give some examples of what you mean. Politics and games have always existed. I don't see any proof of mass empathy loss. In fact there is areas where we have gained empathy.

The OP mentions homosexuality, and in the past everyone hid their sexuality, so it was easier for people to mistreat gays since many only saw gays as the abominations they read about in the bible. It wasn't until gays started coming out that people realized that their friends and family members could also be gay that it started to change. Once they had that realization, their empathy forced them to start questioning their old morality and treatment of gays, and we are seeing more acceptance around the world.

If anyone says gays should be stoned to death today, no body will see that as a more reasonable or moral response to homosexuality. The ability to empathize always wins out over rules passed down from gods.
edit on 4-10-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philodemus

And if one could take your idea a step further, it could be inferred that those of a religious persuasion might be pegged first and foremost with having a more stifled empathetic reflex then those who do not follow any such belief system.

All of your examples are prime candidates to prove my point. For instance, look at how the Old Testament deals with a thief, a rapist or a murder. Not a very compassionate approach. For that matter, look at modern day "Christian" hot spots even here on this continent. Texas still upholds the death penalty, last time I checked. We have all agreed that murder is wrong, but yet we can justify it if given the proper presuppositions (i.e. God said so). Being tethered to what they view as an absolute god, believers are stuck with the impossible duty of qualifying the quagmire of sliding morality/ethics. Their humanity pulls them away from the Bronze Age violence of our past, but their dogma pulls them back because of their fear of upsetting their god.

It is an unfortunate predicament.

good point, but i do think empathy eventually wins out in time. For example no one today will force a rape victim to marry her rapist after he pays her father 50 silver, even though it's in the bible.

It's an outdated cultural belief relating to ancient views of marriage. No man wanted to marry a rape victim, so the rapist had to take her and pay her father, cause in those days she would be seen as worthless, and the father would never be able to give her away in marriage, which was done for political reasons more than love back then.

I think that's a case where empathy won out, and people realize it's an outdated practice so they ignore it.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Are you trying to bring down this site with such nonsense threads? Do you need attention so badly? Please come out of your bubble for your sake....

BTW i am not an atheist nor a believer in any religion.. People tend to say i'm agnostic and i sometimes do too so as not to offend my friends who believe too much and i dont want them to be hurt if and when an argument may ensue. But frankly, it needs to stop. One group blaming another.

And if really is a genuine way you are feeling, please try to think before you post and stop posting till you are not just doing for attention or trolling.

About the homosexuals, stop agreeing or disagreeing . Its two or more people's private business which we dont have to interfere in.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It is my opinion that because of how often life screws up whenever it can, it isn't coincidence when everything was born and did exactly what it needed to every opportunity it had up until now. In fact, the only reason it looks like there isn't order is because we're involved.

For something so "unintelligent" and random, the universe looks pretty freakin' intelligent to me.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arsenis
reply to post by Soloro

Atheism is the absence of belief get it right.

Atheism isn't the absence of belief, surely that is what an agnostic is. Atheism is denial of belief.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Everyone is born with a conscience. You don't need a Bible to know right from wrong. That's why Paul said the gentiles were as accountable as the Jews. Atheists have the law in their hearts as well. We all do. Some just chose to ignore what they know. But you don't have to be Christian to know right from wrong. You just have to be honest.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Arsenis

Oh look, more people throwing around fancy words without knowing what they mean.

a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
Noun:
The theory or belief that God does not exist.

Atheism Defined

Every dictionary says atheism is a belief in the nonexistence of higher powers. Since you can't PROVE there aren't any, that makes it a theory. Which essentially says that if you support that theory, it's because of belief.

You can't prove "God" does or does not exist, you can only provide evidence to support either side of the fence. Which means both sides operate on belief. So all you atheists whining about, "Oh, we don't rely on belief" Be quiet. Can you prove what you think? No? Then it's belief.

End of story.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join