It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there bigger HYPOCRITES on this planet then atheists???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by johngrissom

a mass killing in public areas every week

Mass killings are more often than not done by a person or a group of religious extremists...or a religion is a factor in the killings.

Those that need a book to tell them that it's not OK to kill a person...shouldn't be out walking free.

So lets see again
Stalin Mao Hitler Pol Pot
All non believer? Maybe Hitler was a new age believer
You talk crap. Those who dont believe in a God are the biggest murderers and history proves it

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

I wasn't going by sub-groups, sir. I know there are Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Orthodox, etc. But by definition Christianity is a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ. That's it. So I was trying to cover a more broad spectrum.

What I was trying to say was, no one has the right to tell anyone to believe or not to believe. Let them live their life and in the end, if you were right and God sorts us out, then so be it. "God loves all of his children."

Satan believes in the teachings of Christ, doesnt follow them yet believes them
Your statement is foolish.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by borntowatch

Atheists don't have a standard ?

I'm sort of an atheist...I have standards...they are called:

peace, harmony, compassion, love and tolerance.

Don't need any book or higher spiritual authority to make me be that way. If you spend time to think about the world and yourself as an individual, these things come naturally to any sane person able to add 2 and 2 together. I don't need to be afraid of the God or the rapture or the final judgement to be a good person. I just choose to be. No fear, no threats, no promise of everlasting paradise...no end game. Being good because it's the right thing to do.

I dare to proclaim, had I ever been more involved with the religions, I would not have been as free as I feel today. I have never loved people more than I do now.

I have broken off the religious path in my elementary school days...best decision of my life.

edit on 3-10-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

But what if you decide on Hate Murder violence and greed, thats fine. You can do that.
Your standards are subject to your desires.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom
reply to post by johnwilkesbooth

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth
First of all, *than.

Secondly, I'll assume you're a radical Christian. I'm not atheist, I used to think I am, but luckily I found my religion and it's helped me a lot along life's path.

Well, Christian. If Christians are so nice, please do explain "The Crusades". Where mobs of Christians just went around and killed anyone that didn't believe. Do explain the Salem Witch Trials where anyone accused of even the slightest difference was killed.

Now it's not all Christians faults, how about it's close cousins; Muslim and Judaism. Thousands of Muslims are killed each day for their beliefs and 6,000,000 Jewish folk were killed in the holocaust. All because of beliefs.

So is it wrong for Atheists to NOT have beliefs?

By the way, I'm Pagan and to my knowledge no one has died in the name of Paganism.

I'm pretty sure the Protestants hung the witches at Salem. Catholics burn witches, while Protestants hang.

The Crusades we're Catholics, with the goal of returning Christian access to the holy sites in Jerusalem. The Crusades have way too much secrecy behind them. Most claim it was to actually retrieve the holy artifacts of Jesus. Really don't have much in common with Christians besides the fact, that they killed in the name of God, But on the other hand...a lot of people we're Christian during the KKK rallies.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. You have your Shiites and the Sunni, both read the Koran but have very different beliefs. Same goes for Christians and Baptists. Nothing has really changed between the two. The media just likes to show other wise.

The Jews we're an easy target my an economic torn Germany. Going after the Muslims wouldn't have been very helpful in Hilter's persuading of Germany. In fact, Hitler actually blamed the killing of Jesus on the Jews and that was actually a huge persuasion factor during WW2 because the main religion at the time in German was Protestant.

Before anyone rips on me Protestant and Christianity are two different religions with different rules.

I am sure Mao killed more people than all the religions ever did and he was an atheist

Your argument is childish

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I am sure Mao killed more people than all the religions ever did and he was an atheist.
Your argument is childish

So because your religion supposedly has killed less people than an atheist, that makes it ok?

Your argument is childish.

The problem then is why cant Christians have a standard they choose and apply it to themselves like the atheist do. I get it, many Christians fail, as do atheists, but why are we judged so harshly and atheists are not judged at all.

Because Christianity claims to know all truth, and claims the moral high ground above everyone else. Therefore, your judgement will be much harsher than those not living on the mountain top with you.

edit on 10/3/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I am sure Mao killed more people than all the religions ever did and he was an atheist Your argument is childish

Im sure Hitler killed all those Jews and other people because he was a vegetarian, Next.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Religious zealots love using the word "hypocrites". I do not think it means what they think it means.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
So many people here with the "moral comes from a book" "without that book there would be no law".. rambling of a brainwashed fruit.

Morals and feelings are formed from experience, its is made by an action you don't want done to you, or you know the consequence of what would happen if it was done to you.. thus you would not want to do that to others because you would know how they will feel if it was done to them.

Example: Someone steals your money... you feel bad because you worked hard for it, and now you need to suffer all the after effects like paying bills late, or worse, no food on the table. This would make you relate and learn not to do to others because it would put others in the same situation or worse.

That is how you get morals, not from a book that was written by horny men 2000yrs ago.

Human mind is a learning tool, not for indoctrination. I don't need a man made book to tell me how to live my life.

Post like this make all religious people look brainwashed.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

True story: My oldest daughter is an Atheist and has been since around age 13-14 (she is now 24). When my grandaughter was born she was premature, had under-developed lungs, and her heart would just stop sometimes. They put her in Neo-natal I.C.U. My daughter was beside herself with worry and asked me what she should do. I told her that whether she believed in God or not that she should pray for her baby- just in case she was wrong and that he really was there and listening. And you know what? She did!

Grandbaby is two and a half now and keeps me on my toes. Point to this story is when push comes to shove and there is nowhere else to turn sometimes Atheists concede that there really could be a God. There is an old saying that I have found to be true:

There are no Atheists in foxholes!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

True story: My oldest daughter is an Atheist and has been since around age 13-14 (she is now 24). When my grandaughter was born she was premature, had under-developed lungs, and her heart would just stop sometimes. They put her in Neo-natal I.C.U. My daughter was beside herself with worry and asked me what she should do. I told her that whether she believed in God or not that she should pray for her baby- just in case she was wrong and that he really was there and listening. And you know what? She did!

Grandbaby is two and a half now and keeps me on my toes. Point to this story is when push comes to shove and there is nowhere else to turn sometimes Atheists concede that there really could be a God. There is an old saying that I have found to be true:

There are no Atheists in foxholes!

I've been in a foxhole when explosives were being dropped. So how about we not use cliched terms to justify your own beliefs. It's a nonsensical statement that holds no true weight. Believe what you like, but don't tell me there are no atheists in foxholes.Been there, done that.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Atheists dont have a standard law or moral standard other than what is forced upon them by secular society.

Thank you very much but I have my own morals and when we get down to the nitty my own morals are far superior to that of your invisble man that lives in the sky.

No doubt if you could have your way I would have your so called standards forced upon me just like the good old days when those that didn't bow down to your invisble man were tortured and killed for it by people such as yourself whith claiming the moral high ground.

Why do xtians find it necassary to loiter in the halls of a "conspiracy" website of all places ready to pounce on a troll box and spew out drivel ? Is your faith so week ? Does no one listen to you at church or home ?

You allow some books written centuries ago by some men you have never even met about alleged incidents they didn't even witness or have evidence they even occured, dictate your morals !!!!

How foolish is that my friend, to hand your mind on a plate to someone else?

Clearly reying to nudge the subject of homosexuality into your rant appears to hint at a deeper issue that perhaps troubles you. Having had a few homosexual thoughts bounce around your vacuous cranium by any chance ? Need to attack gay people in order to purge yourself of these demonic ideas that have blighted you out of nowhere ?

Ah, your post instantly brings to mind this guy, anything in common ?

Remember my friend, just like Ted said "You don't even have to think" seems like you are heeding his advice.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

For one: I said a TRUE CHRISTIAN would have not shot up a school.

Unless of course his god told him to.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This thread is a steaming, stinking, rubbish pile of divisive idiocy. Here's my question: what will it take for everyone to look beyond what they have in differences, and see what they have in common? What will it take for people to love each other for what they can do together, and not hate their neighbors for what they can do without them?

It seems like all everyone wants to see these days is reasons to want to kill each other, or tear each other down. It's a survival mechanism, I get it. But why do we need to survive? The only thing that threatens us now is each other. Does anyone see the redundancy?

Sometimes, I believe that no one wants peace. They only want to stand above the rest because they can only see how they've been wronged.

edit on 3-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Same old straw man BS we have become accustomed to from the religious crowd.

* They try to attack atheism without even knowing what it is. FAIL.
* They attack the morality of their strawman version of atheism while failing to apply the morality of their own religion to their own lives. FAIL.
* They try to attack the morality of their strawman version of atheism while not understanding that it is irrelevant. Even if atheism implies complete lack of morality (which it doesn't), that says absolutely nothing about whether atheism is actually right. FAIL.

The troll fails - epically.

Atheism is lack of belief in God due to insufficient evidence of his existence (and that goes for all Gods, not just the one you personally have decided is the real deal). The only way to refute atheism is to show why God (any God) probably exists.

Your rant does not do that, so atheism holds.
edit on 3-10-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

The problem then is why cant Christians have a standard they choose and apply it to themselves like the atheist do. I get it, many Christians fail, as do atheists, but why are we judged so harshly and atheists are not judged at all.

Because Christianity is a religion and atheism is not.

You have boxed yourself into a hole where you have to follow the primitive rules and customs of your religion, and now you're whining because you get to be judged by your ability to follow those self-imposed rules.

It's like voluntarily locking yourself in a prison cell and then yelling "how come everyone else gets to walk wherever they like!".

Originally posted by borntowatch

So a Christian doesnt support homosexuality and thats bad, yet an atheists who states as much is ok HYPOCRITES

Of course not. An atheist who does not want equal rights for homosexuality without good reason is every bit as worthy of contempt as a Christian. Atheists are attacked for discrimination too, it's just a fact that in the majority of cases it's the Christians doing the discrimination (as far as homosexuality is concerned), and for that, we have religion to blame.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Arsenis

Actually, Atheism IS a belief... A Religo-tard believes there is a deity, whereas an Atheist believes that there isn't... Either way, it is a belief system...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

If you're willing to put as much study as you have into the matter of "why it is probable that a higher power does not exist", then I ask that you show the same willingness to suspend all preconceptions and disbeliefs long enough to devote just as much study to the matter of: sacred geometry. If you are not willing to do this, then in my mind, you should have no say in the matter, and should not consider yourself a credible source of educated opinion.

www.spiraloflight.com...

And please, don't delve into these studies convinced or even considering the possibility that they won't satisfy you. You obviously have your believes. Please suspend them for the time it takes to do a thorough study of this subject. That is, if you are willing to admit you might be wrong. That's all I'm asking. I'm not Christian, Buddhist, Mormon, Taoist, or anything of that sort. I am Seeker. I look for the truth that is truth no matter what angle you approach it from.

Give this a chance, please. If nothing else, you'll come away a little bit more educated.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

If you want to explain to me in your own words why "Sacred Geometry" is strong evidence of a personal God, go ahead, but I'm not spending hours studying something 99% of respectable scientists ignore as complete bunk if you're not willing to make your own case from the offset.

There is a limited time to study claims and ideas, you need to show why this particular claim/idea is worthy of attention, rather than a youtube video and a "take my word for it".

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad

Atheists dont have a standard law or moral standard other than what is forced upon them by secular society.

Thank you very much but I have my own morals and when we get down to the nitty my own morals are far superior to that of your invisble man that lives in the sky.

No doubt if you could have your way I would have your so called standards forced upon me just like the good old days when those that didn't bow down to your invisble man were tortured and killed for it by people such as yourself whith claiming the moral high ground.

Why do xtians find it necassary to loiter in the halls of a "conspiracy" website of all places ready to pounce on a troll box and spew out drivel ? Is your faith so week ? Does no one listen to you at church or home ?

You allow some books written centuries ago by some men you have never even met about alleged incidents they didn't even witness or have evidence they even occured, dictate your morals !!!!

How foolish is that my friend, to hand your mind on a plate to someone else?

Clearly reying to nudge the subject of homosexuality into your rant appears to hint at a deeper issue that perhaps troubles you. Having had a few homosexual thoughts bounce around your vacuous cranium by any chance ? Need to attack gay people in order to purge yourself of these demonic ideas that have blighted you out of nowhere ?

Ah, your post instantly brings to mind this guy, anything in common ?

Remember my friend, just like Ted said "You don't even have to think" seems like you are heeding his advice.

I am pretty sure teddy there was caught with male prostitutes

ted haggard admits to homosexuality
Christian hypocrites at its finest. Judge everyone but themselves ... unless they are caught ... what a funny and sad group of people they are

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 001ggg100
reply to post by Arsenis

Actually, Atheism IS a belief... A Religo-tard believes there is a deity, whereas an Atheist believes that there isn't... Either way, it is a belief system...

This is not true. I, as an atheist, lack belief in God, I do not hold the belief that there is no God.

Ask yourself this: Are we merely brains in a vat? One cannot rationally believe that is the case because there is no evidence that is the case. But one cannot also believe we are not brains in a vat, because there is no evidence we are not. The only position to take is to lack belief because there is simply no reason to give it any weight as an idea.

I also don't think it is right to be on the fence (agnostic) because without good reason to think we are brains in a vat the default position should be to live and to assume that we are not. This is not the same as holding the belief that we are not, which would require actual evidence.

Beliefs require evidence. Not only is there no compelling evidence of the complete absense of a creator, such evidence is impossible even in theory. God is unfalsifiable, so we take the default position of lacking belief in the idea, until someone shows us why we should take it seriously, but we don't actively believe it to be false, because such a position would require convincing evidence.

I gather this way of thinking is a challenge to understand for many people, but it does make sense once you understand that we all reason this way about the majority of things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join