It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there bigger HYPOCRITES on this planet then atheists???

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I don't know how else to say this, but IT'S A ****ING TRAP. It utilizes our nature to turn us against one another in the name of righteousness using a device that we can never disprove AND appeals to the most core part of our desires. Check the link in my signature and see if I'm wrong, yeah? I've posted the Dummies version of why we have a "God" that can do anything but actually does nothing. In all the places and times where the most good could have been affected....nada. Zilch. Must have been his day off, eh? No resonsibility over a world he apprently created to glorify himself, but he's more than content to let his servants destroy each other? Insanity. I've already explained it, you just refuse to listen because you're terrified to set one foot outside of your comfort zones. How will you ever fly if you never leave your little nest?

Correct. You ever notice all the really big "Holy F^cking Sh^t" sorts of "miracles" all occurred long before photography, video cameras, audio recorders, etc? How come "god" doesn't give ol' Netanyahu the power to rend apart the earth and physically separate the Palestinians from his Chosen Ones in Israel by a vast bottomless canyon or something? He was allegedly sure eager enough to part an entire damn ocean for Moses, right? What do we have today? How come the only big "miracles" that happen anymore can either A) be easily explained by science or B) are consist of people "seeing" jesus or the mother mary "appearing" in water stained walls or their burnt toast?

They don't blame it on figments of imagination, and if they see the world burning, they recognize the need to fix it, even if they don't necessarily jump from their seats.

...and most importantly...they try to fight that fire with WATER instead of gasoline and napalm.

Meanwhile, back at the altar, the Christians are still waiting for Jesus "Baumgartner" Christ to fall from the sky and cure the world with a wave of his hand. "Oh hey guys, am I late?"

Nope...over 400 quadrillion dead due to your daddy's negligence, but we'll be okay. Just go back to what you were doing, we'll be done blowing each other up here in about...let's say...a couple hundred years. Come back when we're done destroying the earth.

Yep...it's one of life's great ironies that these people who are allegedly so big on "personal responsibility" think that some sort of Divine Santa Claus will drop down from heaven and solve all their problems for them if they all just get together and wish hard enough for it to happen.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by truejew

God, as he is known now, was not a factor in the life of early man. The "God" concept emerged later as man developed advanced communication and methods of myth to explain what scared him in nature.

Man refrained from certain behaviors because it benefited him not to murder the neighbor with whom he could hunt or steal something from him and thereby ruin that bond.

Morals arose in early "society" as a matter of necessity.

Yep. And let's face it...the number one predetermining factor which dictates which "god" someone believes in is the dumb luck of simple geographical placement at birth.

If you were born and raised in a culture where 99% of the people were hardline Muslims...you would have a 99% probability believing in Allah and Sharia Law.

Right borntowatch and truejew? It's not like you guys ever went around and tried chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo for a couple of years prior to deciding that it wasn't the "right" thing to believe in...am I correct? Did either of you ever take part in any Wiccan ceremonies so that you could make a good, informed, decision about what to "believe" in? Or did you guys just latch onto the religious tradition which is most probable that you "believe" in due nothing more than your GPS coordinates?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

The funny thing is... when arguing about a whether a god exist or not, someone who is on the god side should not further divide themselves...

i mean if they divide themselves and say my religion is true, not only they just made the Atheist their opponents, now they have other religious sect as their opponents as well.

And some religion like Christianity even have debate among their denominations.... oh well, its a good things i guess, sooner they argue and disappear the soon we can get back to advancing!

The downfall of religion is themselves, we just gotta watch the show.

The only reason such religion stood this long is because it never really had anyone question it, if they did, they get executed or exiled.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by borntowatch

Morals come from society...not religion

That's why killing is wrong in the US, and it's also wrong in countries that aren't Christian...

What a nonsense thread...

Morals come from God.

They clearly don't...because if the did, atheists and everyone not following your religion wouldn't have them. Clearly that's not the case, ergo god has NOTHING to do with morals.

I act morally, yet I have about as much belief in god as I have for unicorns and elves

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
I never called atheism a seething pit of hypocrisy

Understand just that one simple point, I just posed a question.

A simple yes, no or maybe would have been sufficient, rather than the hissy fit fest we have here

Really? So you were just looking for a one word answer without any supporting evidence? Why didn't you just specify that it was only a poll then and you were not interested in anybody's rationale?

You know what I think? I think you are just a little irked that I ACTUALLY supplied you with hundreds biblical passages which illustrate just how immensely hypocritical christians are and that this makes you uncomfortable.

How come both you and truejew were BOTH demanding that everyone back up their assertions about christianity w/ "scripture" in this thread...right up until somebody actually did back it up with scripture?? Why were you so eager to cite your own sources when you still thought that a Shinto was a Buddhist...but now state that you just wanted "yes and no" answers?

As soon as the "scripture" disagreed with what you WISHED it stated instead of what it ACTUALLY states you all of a sudden "don't have time to read through all that" and revert to just overly generalized blanket statements like "you don't understand the context" which are wholly and completely unsubstantiated by anything other than your opinion. What gives?

When other people did the same exact thing...you kept demanding to "see the Scripture". Isn't it kind of hypocritical/b] to alternately demand Scripture then refuse to acknowledge it based solely upon what is convenient for you? What's wrong? Are you disappointed that somebody actually took the time to do it and call you out on it?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

His reaction to all the proof you posted will be like this:

Talking about "morals":

In short:

edit on 15-10-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yep. There are in excess of 40,000 different denominations of "christians"...and the only thing that ALL of them have in common is that each and every one refuses to acknowledge that 3,000 years before the alleged birth of "jesus christ" the Egyptians believed in a guy named "Horus KRST" who had these life experiences:

The story of Horus can be found in "The Egyptian Book of the Dead (also known as the "Papyrus of Ani") written over 3,000 years before the birth of Christ.

Identical Life Experiences
(1) It is written that both Horus and Jesus existed before their incarnations.
(2) Horus was born of the virgin Isis on December 25th in a cave/manger.
(3) Horus' birth was announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
(4) The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: "Out of Egypt have I called my son." (Matt. 2:15)
(5) He was a child teacher in the temple and was baptized by Anup the Baptizer when he was thirty years old.
(6) He had twelve disciples and performed miracles such as feeding bread to the multitude and walking on water.
(7) He raised one man, El-Azar-us, from the dead.
(8) He transfigured on a mount.
(9) He also had titles such as the "way, the truth, the light, the Messiah, God's anointed Son, the Son of Man, the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the Word, the Morning Star, the light of the world.
(10) He was "the Fisher," and was associated with the lamb, lion and fish ("Ichthys").
(11) Horus's personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father."
(12) Horus was called "KRST," or "Anointed One.
(13) He was crucified, buried in a tomb and resurrected.
(14) The adoration of the Virgin and Child is connected with both the adoration of Isis and the infant Horus and the adoration of Mary and infant Jesus. In the catacombs at Rome are pictures of the baby Horus being held by the virgin mother Isis, the original "Madonna and Child."
(15) Concerning the writing of the Gnostics, C. W. King, a noted English author, says: "To this period belongs a beautiful sard in my collection, representing Serapis,...whilst before him stands Isis, holding in one hand the sistrum, in the other a wheatsheaf, with the legend: 'Immaculate is our lady Isis,' the very term applied afterwards to that personage who succeeded to her form, her symbols, rites, and ceremonies" (Gnostics and Their Remains, p. 71).
(16) Osiris, Isis, and Horus are the principal trinity of the Egyptian religions. God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit is the Christian trinity. Dr. Inman affirms the Egyptian roots of the Christian trinity "The Christian trinity is of Egyptian origin, and is as surely a pagan doctrine as the belief in heaven and hell, the existence of a devil, of archangels, angels, spirits and saints, martyrs and virgins, intercessors in heaven, gods and demigods, and other forms of faith which deface the greater part of modern religions" (Ancient Pagan and Modem Christian Symbolism, p. 13).
(17) Dr. Draper says: "For thirty centuries the Egyptians had been familiar with the conception of a triune God. There was hardly a city of any note without its particular triads. Here it was Amum, Maut, and Khonso; there Osiris, Isis, and Horus" (Intellectual Development, Vol. I, p. 191).
(18) Dr. Draper stated: "Views of the Trinity, in accordance with Egyptian tradition, were established. Not only was the adoration of Isis under a new name restored, but even her image standing on the crescent moon reappeared. The well-known effigy of that goddess, with the infant Horus in her arms, has descended to our days in the beautiful artistic creations of the Madonna and Child." (Conflict, p. 48).
(19) Mrs. Besant believes that Christianity has its main roots in Egypt: "It grew out of Egypt; its gospels came from thence [Alexandria]; its ceremonies were learned there; its Virgin is Isis; its Christ, Osiris and Horus."
(20) There are two stories connected with Horus that is analogous to stories found in the Old Testament. The hiding of the infant Horus in a marsh by his mother undoubtedly parallels the story of the hiding of the infant Moses in a marsh by his mother. When Horus died, Isis implored Ra, the sun, to restore him to life. Ra stopped his ship in mid-heaven and sent down Thoth, the moon, to bring him back to life. The stopping of the sun and moon by Isis recalls the myth of the stopping of the sun and moon by Joshua.

Link to source: near-death.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Oh don't you know their reply for that?

"those rules were for THAT time, we have to adjust to this time"

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

His reaction to all the proof you posted will be like this:

Talking about "morals":

In short:

edit on 15-10-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

No doubt. Don't worry...I know I'm not going to win these guys over. I just feel it's my civic duty as an American to scream "Bullsh^t!!!" loudly and clearly whenever I see it. Not doing so is downright DANGEROUS.

link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by MrXYZ

Oh don't you know their reply for that?

"those rules were for THAT time, we have to adjust to this time"

So basically you can cherry pick...makes perfect sense

Threads like these make me so proud for being an atheist.

link   

That's why killing is wrong in the US, and it's also wrong in countries that aren't Christian...

Morals come from God.

The Taliban are in 100% agreement with you.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Morals come from God.

They clearly don't...because if the did, atheists and everyone not following your religion wouldn't have them. Clearly that's not the case, ergo god has NOTHING to do with morals.

I act morally, yet I have about as much belief in god as I have for unicorns and elves

Funny that you mention unicorns.

Unicorns are mentioned in the King James version of the Bible 9 times, in 5 different books, by at least 5 different authors: by Balaam, Moses, David, Isaiah, and even God himself in the book of Job. Without further ado...here are the passages that talk about Holy Unicorns:

Numbers 23:22
“God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.”

Numbers 24:8
“God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.”

Job 39:9
“Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?”

Job 39:10
“Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?”

Psalms 29:6
“He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.”

Psalms 92:10
“But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.”

Deuteronomy 33:17
“His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.”

Psalms 22:21
“Save me from the lion’s mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.”

Isaiah 34:7
“And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.”

Now remember...the KJV Bible represents approximately 62% of the bible's in print in the US and about 82% of the Americans who say they read the bible once per day say they read the KJV. At least...that's according to a survey done by the religious nutters over at "Lifeway" (www.christianpost.com...)...but I suppose even if the numbers are inflated it wouldn't be incorrect to say that the KJV is one of, if not the most, "mainstream" bible in the United States. My point is just that it's not like I had to search high and low for some weirdo group of christian outcasts to find some unicorns in the bible. These are everyday American christians who believe in the literal existence of unicorns in the desert wastelands of the Middle East...They're not an obscure "Unicornitarian" sect or anything. HA!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by truejew

God, as he is known now, was not a factor in the life of early man. The "God" concept emerged later as man developed advanced communication and methods of myth to explain what scared him in nature.

Man refrained from certain behaviors because it benefited him not to murder the neighbor with whom he could hunt or steal something from him and thereby ruin that bond.

Morals arose in early "society" as a matter of necessity.

God had a relationship with Adam and Eve. He started to teach them right and wrong early on. He taught that murder was wrong after the first murder occurred.

Yep. The Taliban agree with you on the whole Adam and Eve thing too.

You are aware that the Qu'ran has virtually the same exact story of Genesis in it...correct? Like in christianity Adam wasn't supposed to eat the fruit...but in Islam he wasn't supposed to go near the tree.

Just like you...the Taliban are 100% convinced that God had a relationship with Adam and Eve and that he tried to teach them right from wrong and that the Devil tempted Adam's son Cain to Kill Abel and that God made every effort to teach his failed creations the difference between right and wrong and that murder is bad.

You and you're Taliban buddies have A LOT in common...don't you?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Meanwhile, back in reality, man was finding his way on his own by trial and error and he called it, eventually, evolution.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Well then...unicorns must be real

Sometimes when I discuss with Christians I feel like I'm talking to hardcore Trekkies. Star Wars fans are Muslims in that scenario, but you can't insult them because they'll hit you with fake light sabres.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Why would you accuse someone of being affiliated with the Taliban, knowing the stigmas attached to that sort of thing? What does that have to do with the hypocrisy of atheist or theist?

edit on 15-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Well then...unicorns must be real

Sometimes when I discuss with Christians I feel like I'm talking to hardcore Trekkies. Star Wars fans are Muslims in that scenario, but you can't insult them because they'll hit you with fake light sabres.

Wanna know the funniest part? The "believers" often try to say that translating the Hebrew word re'em as "unicorn" is clearly an inaccurate translation and that it ought to be translated as "wild ox". You know why? Because many of the big "believers" feel that the notion of unicorns existing in the Ancient Middle East is absolutely ridiculous because the fossil record doesn't show any indication of unicorns ever existing anywhere on planet earth.

Yep. You read that right. The justification for why the bible MUST not be referencing unicorns is cited as the fossil record and the scientific plausibility of unicorns ever having existed. That way everyone can stop being distracted by these "unicorns" and start getting down to the serious work of reading about talking snakes and a guy who lived inside of a whale's stomach for awhile. You know...the stuff that happens in observable reality. Ironically however, the fossil record is only valid for disproving unicorns and not for purposes of disproving Genesis for reasons completely unknown.

Best of all...the claims that it re’em ought to be translated to "wild ox" is in stark contrast to the Hebrew folklore of the day which describes the re’em as being so large that Noah had to strap it on the side of the Ark, and King David, while still a shepherd, mistook its horn for a mountain and climbed it, then the Re'em got up and frightened David. He prayed to God to save him, so a lion passed in front of the Re'em, and as the Re'em bowed down to the king of beasts, David climbed off, but was threatened by the lion. He prayed again and an animal passed by so the lion could chase it, and David left unharmed.

Yep. Good ol' clear thinking at it's finest, huh?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

It's a thread based in religious discussion. "Clear thinking" wouldn't touch it with someone else's ten foot pole. But I'm lovin' your post - a clear case of hypocrisy at the other end of the table!
Maybe all this pointing fingers at the atheists is just a cover?

Who knows?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Why would you accuse someone of being affiliated with the Taliban, knowing the stigmas attached to that sort of thing? What does that have to do with the hypocrisy of atheist or theist?

Oh...I never accused them of being "affiliated" with the Taliban. I'm just pointing out that christians share a whole lot of their beliefs with the Taliban. I suppose the term "buddies" could be construed to mean that I thought they were all hanging out together in Kandahar...and if that's the way it came across, I apologize.

I just think it's important that these guys realize that the Taliban...the modern christian boogeyman...ALSO believes that "god" determines morality and that he's angry at humans because once upon a time a talking snake convinced a woman to eat an everyday produce item off of a tree.

I'm just hoping it puts the whole "atheists are hypocrites" thing in perspective a bit. These guys so often just fall back upon "I'm right 'cuz the bible says so". Well...that's fine and great...but the bible and qu'ran are a whole lot more similar than most people think.

Perhaps we would do well to keep that in mind before invoking "god" as the basis of our morality...unless of course these guys think the Taliban are ALSO on good moral ground. Granted, with exception of GOP candidate Fuqua in Alabama...most hardline christians aren't advocating stoning teenagers to death for misbehaving...but as the good congressman pointed out, there is a Scriptural basis in Christianity for handing out the death penalty to rambunctious teenagers.

My point is that we ought to really, REALLY, take a good look at our rational thought processes before turning it all over to "the bible" and "god". And if these guys aren't willing to do that...then at the very least I would like them to admit that in their opinion the Taliban have a lot of the right ideas, even if they differ in opinion w/ some of them on the details and the specifics. Mostly because refusing to come back to reality a little more w/ their own religious views whilst simultaneously continuing to condemn the Muslims (as so many of them do) is...well... hypocritical...isn't it?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

It's a thread based in religious discussion. "Clear thinking" wouldn't touch it with someone else's ten foot pole. But I'm lovin' your post - a clear case of hypocrisy at the other end of the table!
Maybe all this pointing fingers at the atheists is just a cover?

Who knows?

Ha! Thanks for the props on the post.

Sadly...I strongly speculate that it's not even an attempt at a cover. I really, truly don't think most of these christians have really bothered to the necessary reading and thinking about their views to even be embarrassed enough to feel as though they NEED a "cover". I personally think that it's as simple as they repeat what they are told to repeat.

Think about it...a lot of these people go to a great big building once a week (sometimes more than that) and chant their "beliefs" in unison with quite literally ALL of their friends and family. Thus, any dissent from the "party line" and you run the risk of being somewhat ostracized from everyone you know. That's a powerful tool in getting people to simply disavow thinking for themselves.

Similarly, christians are frequently taught that anybody else's religious texts originated with the "devil" or "false prophets". What better way to make sure that your followers don't take any time to do any real research on what other people believe? If reading the qu'ran is a "sin"...then the only thing you can really know about it IS WHAT OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU.

That's how you wind up with grown adults who have no idea whatsoever that State Shinto Era Japan came into existence BECAUSE the Buddhists wouldn't advocate warfare for the benefit of the state and instead just figure that anybody from Japan must be a "Buddhist". That's how you get people to think that Mao's Little Red Book was some kind of atheist treatise...despite the fact that Mao not only assumed that God existed in the book...he took it as a matter of course. That's how you blame Stalin's murderous rampage on "atheism"...despite the salient and material fact that HE FOUNDED AN ENTIRE DENOMINATION AND SECT OF CHRISTIANITY...JUST LIKE HENRY VIII, MARTIN LUTHER, JOHN KNOX, JOHN CALIVIN, AND COUNTLESS OTHERS did. I mean...I'll go along with the idea that Stalin was remarkably less pious than say...Martin Luther...but in what alternate reality is a guy who creates an entire branch of Christianity with 75 MILLION followers.

No...I speculate that these things all stem from the type of lunacy that is perpetuated by willful ignorance more so than a guilty conscience. At least...that's my best guess, anyways.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join