It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting Climate Change With Asteroid Dust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Fighting Climate Change With Asteroid Dust

www.cbsnews.com

To combat global warming, scientists in Scotland now suggest an out-of-this-world solution -- a giant dust cloud in space, blasted off an asteroid, which would act like a sunshade for Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com
dash.harvard.edu

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NAVY and NASA - The REAL "Chemtrails"
Did NASA "bomb" the moon to hide something?
NASA has Released Info on Brown Dwarf Star Between Jupiter and Mars
esciencenews.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Remember talk of asteroids, NASA warning employees to prepare
for a "disaster", predictions of asteroids nearing the earth, and we thought
those were wild "out there" topics.

It looks as perhaps those subjects had more than
a grain of truth, only with hidden intentions by NASA,
and Geoengineers. What have they been up to?

As a rule what they openly talk about now,
they have been experimenting with for quite some time.

The researchers suggest outfitting a near-Earth asteroid with a "mass driver," a device consisting of electromagnets that would hurl asteroid-derived matter away from the giant rock. The mass driver could serve both as a rocket to push the asteroid to the L1 point and as an engine to spew out sun-shielding dust.

Remember, we pondered, did NASA bomb the moon?

The researchers calculate that the largest near-Earth asteroid, 1036 Ganymed, could maintain a dust cloud large enough to block out 6.58 percent of the solar radiation that would normally reach Earth, more than enough to combat any current global warming trends. ....... An asteroid of this size might make one think of disaster movies, such as "Armageddon"; however, "rather than destroying the Earth, it could be used to help mankind," Bewick said.

The scientists will publish findings in the Nov. 12 issue of the journal Advances in Space Research.

Funny how things come around...is it not?

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-10-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I could imagine that the cost would be prohibitive to actually do such a thing.

Good idea though

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
I could imagine that the cost would be prohibitive to actually do such a thing.

Good idea though

No it wouldn't.. It's way cheaper than not doing it.. Massive crop failure and increased heat(energy) driven storms comes to mind as something that could cost a lot more than a few Nasa missions.

It's cheaper then blowing up people in other countries.. Waaayyy cheaper.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

hmm scientists may also find that you can fight all crime in the future by slamming an asteroid into the earth...better yet, you can solve all the worlds problems with a asteroid into the earth...it must be big enough though...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

You really think?

Do you know how much it would cost to do that.

An extremely large amount of money to make that happen right there.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
IMHO this would be a bad idea.

Given human's track record with trying to manipulate our environment, we tend to do things without thinking them through first, or not knowing that there maybe some backlash from the things we do.

All anyone has to do it take a look at different examples of humans introducing certain animals, insects and plants, to try and fix a problem.......only to have in many cases unforeseen side affects, or doing even worse damage than before.

Say they do this. And it's successful, it lowers temps globally.

What happens if right after this is put in place, the Earth experiences something that will also cause global temps to lower? Things like: increased volcanic eruptions places more ash into the atmosphere......a meteor strike that could not be avoided, that introduces even more dust into the air? Or the sun itself enters a new cycle that was not known before, lowering it's energy enough to lower temps too?

We just seem to have a bad track record when it comes to these things.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A massive dust cloud from a meteor impact was, I thought, one of the hypothesized reasons for the ice age. Now they're suggesting this same concept as a fix for global warming?

If we're going that route, I'm investing everything I have in winter gear production so I can sell everyone, but the morons who caused the ice age, all their stay warm necessities.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

True, yet thats too obvious.
They have to appear to be trying to do good.

On many levels, the Global Warming science is haoxed, perhaps to the
degree that it ranks as one of the all time biggest hoax ever perpetrated upon man.

This con job involves many high echelons, and The Club of Rome.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Good idea, and while your at it, I would pick up a hefty size supply of
gas masks just in case it goes wrong, and it will.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Additional link and info posted yesterday at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I kind of thought it was a crazy scheme and a questionable idea then also saw where UN research and studies were involved. I hope they don't latch onto it like they do with Codex Alimentarius and want to spread it around the world. It all seems a bit scary to do something that may be irreversible. They expect global temperatures to increase by 2 to 11 degrees F and this scheme they expect could knock temperatures down by almost 4 degrees. That could turn out to make us 2 degrees net colder even if all their estimates are correct, or our warming trend might go the other way.

I worry a bit about rushing into something like this. But as I asked on my thread, what could go wrong? Maybe I didn't ask nice enough and got no response, thought no one was interested. So I come here to discuss it instead but see Crakeur already had my same fears in mind, only he sees ways to capitalize on it. I just have no head for business, I guess.

edit on 3-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is just an outlandish idea from some scientists. Outlandish ideas make the news once a month, that doesn't mean someone is going to actually do it. The amount to capital required to do this is extremely high. Considering we can't even muster enough will to make it back to the moon, I seriously doubt we can muster the will to go even further away, haul an asteroid back and blow it up.

new topics

top topics

join