It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Actually, sometimes they really can't. Many people have medical problems that cause the weight, not to mention the chemicals they put in the food.

What you just did was a huge generalization of people based on how they look. And it just shows your bigotry and proves what i said, ironically.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Her fitness is not his business, but at the same time the note was not insulting, just a statement of truth.

Physical fitness (or lack thereof) is like religion; I don't care what you do, until what you're doing effects me in a negative way. The problem with obesity is that when these overweight people grow older, the effects of all that extra fat catch up to them and cause major health problems. Then most of these people want gastric bypass or require other operations, paid for by insurance companies, of course. With the introduction of nationalized health care, the effects of obesity are going to be spread even wider.

There is a reason many major companies are giving insurance discounts for staying below a specific body fat percentage, and some even go so far as to provide a free gym on company premises complete with exercise programs and free personal training staff. The reason is simple: the costs of obesity and the resulting (self-imposed) illnesses are HUGE. My father's current employer does this, and it seems to work quite well.

Live your life the way you want it. Be fat and out of shape, see if I care. Just don't come crying to me to help you financially when at age 50 your arteries are clogged, your heart is overtaxed, and you have diabetes.
edit on 3-10-2012 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Since we didnt see the segment the viewer was responding to, I cant say that she 'destroyed' him. If she is promoting specific products/companies for health, she might have appeared hypocritical in the segment the 'bully' responded to.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

Yeah you did, it was at the very beginning where she read the email... the email was what sparked her speech

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
Even in that case it is best to be honest. If you lie and they find out then they will say "i thought you said you like this guy...thats not what we heard".

heh.. if honesty is the best policy, you would speak to the police and tell them you hated the guy, but you absolutely did not kill him. I thought the example was clear, and I laughed at how his answer clearly showed that he doesn't really believe honesty is always the best policy, or he would not avoid the police in the matter. I don't advocate lying either. He had the right answer... sometimes you say nothing at all, and let your lawyer handle it. The next time your wife asks you if she looks fat in that dress, remember that honesty is always the best policy. Right?

edit on 3-10-2012 by jheherrin because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2012 by jheherrin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You know what? I needed this right now. It really hit home, and has actually made me see my situation for what it is.

I am almost the size of the news anchor, for what it matters. I am a nice woman. I deal honestly, I am a good wife. I am loyal. I am a very loving and dedicated mother. I homeschool my son for hours each day. I do not eat junk. I don't stuff my face. I don't order 2 Big Macs, a large fry and a diet coke and then wonder why I am big.
I eat far fewer calories then is recommended. I am very active, taking walks every day, and I also do yoga and aerobics. All of my food is organic. I forbid sodas, HFCS and junk food in the house. When my husband comes home from work, the house is spic-n-span, the laundry is washed, folded and ironed, and a hot healthy dinner is ready, exactly at 6pm when he walks in the door. Then I spend the next few hours cleaning up, bathing the kid, getting him to bed, etc.
I am just now discovering after years of trying to lose weight that I have a thyroid issue that is trapping me at this size and am finally considering surgical intervention.

YET
I am bullied every single day over my weight. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
Not by my family. Not by my friends. Not be random strangers on the street. Not by neighbors.
But my husband, who sees fit to call me fat, huge, elephant, etc. EVERY DAY. In front of our son. The bullying is very destructive. Imagine that you had a handicap that you had little control over, and despite your best efforts, you still had to struggle with it daily. Now imagine the person that should love you the most making fun of that handicap every day, DEFINING your very existence based on only one small part of your entire makeup. It does not matter that I am a good woman, a good mom, a chef, a maid, a personal shopper, a teacher, etc. All that matters is that I AM FAT.
I will be talking about matters that have nothing to do with me or my appearance..and he will find a reason to incorporate FAT into the conversation.
My son has taken to yelling at his father to stop calling me names. My biggest fear is not so much how badly it hurts me, but the damage it is doing to our son to witness the bullying. Will he think it is okay to judge people solely on their outer shell, when so much more could be inside? I shudder to think.
I used to be of the mind that "sticks and stones break my bones, but words will never hurt me." That is entirely untrue, and I have been in two abusive relationships in my life. The first one was mainly physical abuse. This one is emotional. I can tell you with certainty that the emotional abuse is far worse in this case. The other one, I was able to see the abuse for what it was..this one weeded under my psyche and has broken it down into pieces before I even realized what was happening.
I implore you all, to try and consider what you are saying BEFORE you say it. I could not live with myself knowing that I was causing severe pain to another person simply by my words. Stop judging people based on their appearance. Character matters FAR more than anything else.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I think being obese should be against the law, it is a very unbecoming trait. It shows a complete lack of self control.

What if I said that I think smoking of any kind is an unbecoming trait, and shows a complete lack of self control and should be outlawed? Maybe we should outlaw anyone who is ugly, who wants to see ugly people? It is unbecoming. My, oh my, what a truly deep rabbit hole we have found with this one.

It is a proven fact if your fat, and eat less, you will lose weight, reguardless of any other factor. Only jenny craig and others with somthing to sell will tell you that it doesn't work. Ever seen a fat POW? How about a fat concentration camp prisoner? Of course not, they stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. It is full proof, you can't die of starvation while being fat, it is impossible.

Distended bellies are a sign of some forms of starvation, I believe.

I disagree with your statement, yes you do need to hear the ugly truth, sorry if your don't like it, but that is the point of good advice, it is what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. If it is only the feel good no hurt feelings advice you want, ok then here you go.

The ugly truth is given by those who aren't your friends, and who aren't giving that advice to help you out. They do so to feel better about their own deficiencies, as I said in my other post. If a random stranger calls you fat, then it isn't done so out of kindness. What gives you or anyone else prone to this a right to tell others how they should be...I don't know you. You could have raped little girls, murdered someone, robbed a bank, etc. Those evil deeds you hide from others are nothing I can potentially respond to, which makes it hard to factor that in, and take your unwarranted comments as good or bad. Maybe you want to help people, or maybe you are just a horrible person? How am I to know this?

And, as she said...do you not think she knows she is overweight? It is pointing out the obvious. Pointing out the obvious is also another way of saying you are being lazy yourself.

I added, smoking and being an a-hole intentionally, as I am both, and realise it is both disgusting and worthless, the difference is I don't make excuses for either, or try to say there is nothing wrong with it, when there is obviously a lot wrong with both. I am however a weak and flawed human,

Irony.

And, I would just like to say I am not pointing you out for any particular reason. This is the kind of post that others are making. I think you should realize that she knows she is fat, and that because we all make mistakes, pointing this out is rather pointless in and of itself. You are no better than she is, and I am no better than you.

We all have our advantages and disadvantages, but getting in someone's face about how they look physically is rather childish, and obvious. It is the easy route.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So, yes, she is overweight. I feel for her, I do. I have no issue with her weight.

Trying to divert it to "anti bullying" on news.. Yeah, i want my children to be healthy, not to be screwed over by the media. If one has a chronic problem one can't help, i do understand. If one chooses to live a life of obesity when you can change the habit, it is your fault.

I will not love anyone less cause they "choose" a unhealthy lifestyle, but, for the kids out there being mind screwed to think it is "okay".. BS

I have never seen her show, and she does seem genuine. I am against "bullying" anyone but c'mon. One day when your child is struggling with ill health cause it is okay, we will talk again.

If she is overweight by choice or due to a chronic state is the question.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Her "time" wasn't wasted. She addressed real issues facing real people. It's funny (not) how people dismiss her effort to address issues that affect millions on a daily basis, yet in only a few minutes. She is a fighter, she is a winner.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If that letter was a letter of out of concern, why didn't the writer inject some sort of reassurance into the letter? It was emotionally cold. It's a vague letter. It starts off with feigned concern that quickly turns into condescension and ends with admonishments, with bit of arrogance in there.

This is a quick summary of the letter:

I don't watch your show but I did today. I see you are getting fatter even though I don't watch your show. Haha, you think you are a great example for young girls?! No, because you are fat. Obesity is bad and you choose to be obese. I'm leaving this note so you can stop being fat and lose some weight.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I love how she's ignored what the letter was saying. He didn't call her 'fat', he did it privately through an email, he had concern about her public image. I don't think his letter was even remotely inaccurate and he had concern about her TV persona affecting the community. Also if you know ur over-weight, why don't you do something about it? Short of having a medical condition that prevents you from loosing weight, there is no excuse. And throwing up the belimia thing as an oppositional argument is a cop out. I don't think she destroyed him at all. If she had thick skin, why make such a big deal about it? Why come back and televise something he stated with the utmost discretion? He didn't rent a loud speaker and ride by screaming, "Hey You, you're fat". The only reason a kid is going to go to school and mimic the behavior is because she aired this. I'm not saying that every women has to be thin to be beautiful, because that isn't true, but if she cherished her life with her kids, she should dedicate herself to dropping the weight she's maintained for a long time, it's unhealthy for her to keep it, almost as unhealthy as smoking. Her reaction is part of the problem. Nobody these days can touch on sensitive subjects with out people's feelings get hurt. If you don't address the issues, you'll have no change. I bet she's gonna lose that weight now that she's talked about it with her husband and coworkers. She'll finally find the motivation to set a good example of a healthy lifestyle for her daughters. She is a poor excuse for a public figure, and I'm not saying that because of her weight.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastet11
You know what? I needed this right now. It really hit home, and has actually made me see my situation for what it is.

I am almost the size of the news anchor, for what it matters. I am a nice woman. I deal honestly, I am a good wife. I am loyal. I am a very loving and dedicated mother. I homeschool my son for hours each day. I do not eat junk. I don't stuff my face. I don't order 2 Big Macs, a large fry and a diet coke and then wonder why I am big.
I eat far fewer calories then is recommended. I am very active, taking walks every day, and I also do yoga and aerobics. All of my food is organic. I forbid sodas, HFCS and junk food in the house. When my husband comes home from work, the house is spic-n-span, the laundry is washed, folded and ironed, and a hot healthy dinner is ready, exactly at 6pm when he walks in the door. Then I spend the next few hours cleaning up, bathing the kid, getting him to bed, etc.
I am just now discovering after years of trying to lose weight that I have a thyroid issue that is trapping me at this size and am finally considering surgical intervention.

YET
I am bullied every single day over my weight. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
Not by my family. Not by my friends. Not be random strangers on the street. Not by neighbors.
But my husband, who sees fit to call me fat, huge, elephant, etc. EVERY DAY. In front of our son. The bullying is very destructive. Imagine that you had a handicap that you had little control over, and despite your best efforts, you still had to struggle with it daily. Now imagine the person that should love you the most making fun of that handicap every day, DEFINING your very existence based on only one small part of your entire makeup. It does not matter that I am a good woman, a good mom, a chef, a maid, a personal shopper, a teacher, etc. All that matters is that I AM FAT.
I will be talking about matters that have nothing to do with me or my appearance..and he will find a reason to incorporate FAT into the conversation.
My son has taken to yelling at his father to stop calling me names. My biggest fear is not so much how badly it hurts me, but the damage it is doing to our son to witness the bullying. Will he think it is okay to judge people solely on their outer shell, when so much more could be inside? I shudder to think.
I used to be of the mind that "sticks and stones break my bones, but words will never hurt me." That is entirely untrue, and I have been in two abusive relationships in my life. The first one was mainly physical abuse. This one is emotional. I can tell you with certainty that the emotional abuse is far worse in this case. The other one, I was able to see the abuse for what it was..this one weeded under my psyche and has broken it down into pieces before I even realized what was happening.
I implore you all, to try and consider what you are saying BEFORE you say it. I could not live with myself knowing that I was causing severe pain to another person simply by my words. Stop judging people based on their appearance. Character matters FAR more than anything else.

One, your husband is a jerk. Get a new one. No one should be abused in a relationship, for any reason. I used to be very thin, all my life until I had some surgery at the age of 40. My eating and activity habits didn't change but I started gaining weight. Within a year, I had gained 40 pounds. Now I am overweight and it is affecting my health. I have dieted for 6 months straight on 900-1200 calories a day. I actually gained weight. There is no easy answer. But a##holes who abuse others, are losers....bottom line.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Catacomb

It's not about bashing anything or anyone. Honestly, it's about promoting healthy societal norms. I understand, but do not agree with those who are anti gay marriage. They are in favor of "traditional nuclear families" as they see it as a healthy part of a cohesive and functioning society. While that is up for debate, obesity becoming an acceptable disease within society pulls everyone down. Health insurance premiums go up for everyone exhibiting symptoms that obesity encompasses. Blood pressure a little high, but you're nice and fit? Too bad, obese people driving up premiums. Diabetes type I or II due to glucose abnormalities or lack of synthesis of the proper amounts of natural insulin? Too bad, obesity is driving up premiums for these things.

That's 1. Health care...private health care
Even in a system of shared, public health care, it still places a strain upon society. Who wants to chip in for easily avoidable conditions just because a person has seen fit to accepting a failure of will power over the human body. The argument for abortion and birth control costs can be made, but that actually dulls down future costs of the welfare state and prevents the abuse of fictional children that wouldn't be taken care of properly in the first place. Birth control actually mitigates society's issues, so its a non factor (just covering my bases for those looking to bring things up).

We're all about freedom here within the United States, but let me tell you something...the little Maginot line that you value so much has little to do with societal expectations and social norms. Those are two totally different ballgames. Like I mentioned with the marriage issue, there are certain societal goals in place that are either enumerated or understood. You're free to be a racist bigot. You're free to use profane language in public. You're free to dress like "inappropriately", and you're free to have piercings on every inch of your face; however, is it frowned upon or is it accepted. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about joining any flock of sheep, or becoming another cattle in the herd. I'm talking about things that are unacceptable because they promote unhealthy or unseemly trends. Obesity is one of those unseemly trends. I'm not about to allow racists to spew their crap in the streets just because they can. I'm not going to allow people to dress in a tanktop and flipflops in a court room just because they can. I'm not going to allow people to break down the essence of physical human beauty and health simply because "they feel comfortable".

I'm sorry, but "freedom" isn't an argument unless you properly know how and where those freedoms come from and what that freedom means. Do you have the freedom to be fat, or do you have the freedom from being critiqued about your weight? You have to answer those questions before you even say "muh freedoms" because there are different forms of freedom, and I am not sure what form you are referring to at all.

Obesity should not be accepted and allowed into the social norm. It is a disease, and it kills. It should be handled through education, personal regulation of caloric intake, and regular exercise.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I thought the email was cordial and simple, not even very insulting. He was just showing some concern for her (and the communities) well being. It was hardly an attack and she should have just laughed it off. She wasn't bullied, a man simply pointed out that she's over-weight. What words were cruel? Her words were more cruel than his...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Racists and bigots of all stripes never think they're bigots or racists and always think they're acting out of concern. They're really just trying to hide their bigotry and racism under concern so they can seem like the good guy. intelligent people see through this trick.

And frak social norms.

Social norms is a bunch of junk and they always change. There's never any real consistency with them, and it's always about people who think that other people should be forced to live by their standards. In reality social norms are just a bunch of crap.

Social norms is just another way of promoting stuffy old men's bigotries and intolerance, and history proves this to be true.

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

I truly HATE to hear this.
I cant imagine it either. My husband is my best friend, my partner in crime, the closest person to me that actually KNOWS me.. no one else in my life does really. To be betrayed and harmed by him would crush me. I really hate the idea that this is happening to you. Maybe its harsh.. but Ive dumped men for less.. maybe dumping his insensitive and abusive ass and moving on with your life and out of the abusive situation would be easier. Huge life changes are not easy, but I cant imagine living with someone who harms you like this daily is a walk in the park either. Make no mistake.. emotional abuse is just as harmful as physical.. maybe more so.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Even the first lady has talked about the obesity epidemic.

This anchor can not control herself. Something needs to be said.

The image she is giving is that its ok to be obese.

The women admitted she needs help,

She needs a leave of absence maybe a lap band surgery and get
her weight under control.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Sorry - FAIL - - Really - You'd call this bullying - Peahahalease!!! As far as statistics go SHE IS OBESE.... Dude was looking from the outside in when the email was written..The Government does the same damn thing when they say such and such a percentage of AMERICA is OBESE does she or anyone else take offense to that broad range of a comment???? She may have had some medical concern that makes it so she can't lose weight... but I am here to tell ya that if you think this is bullying (from someone, me, you, anyone) who is looking from the outside in - She by medical terms/standards IS OBESE and instead of taking this off course to a bullying stance she should go the other direction and understand that it's about the children and those who come into contact with a TV personality who SEE her initially prior to KNOWing her...... Kinda like I can call my sister she is a BIT*H but anyone else that does will get pummeled...... I call Total BS - My father was Obese and several people knew it, said it and noted it...I was OBESE by standards... Now he does have a drink every now and again but if you were to call him a drunk I'd still pummel ya.... People are way to Sissified these days..... Look were putting kids in a corner got everyone instead of making them go get a switch from a tree and beating their as* when they did wrong... Really people - Grow up.....

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ah yes, obesity. Well, friends, here is something on that topic for your reading pleasure. It's not about PC, it's about a deeper issue; our toxic environment. Yep, I said it. Not to blame external forces entirely by any means, but if you read the quote below it may be eye-opening! We are under an invisible siege.

With this in mind, bullying has zero place. Please, people, we are taught to judge others, and in this case it is playing into the hands of those who want no responsibility for what they are doing to each and every one of us. Mostly to our children, to our future. I'm not making up conspiracy here - its about businesses passing the buck and not caring if they poison us all.

The commonly held causes of obesity-overeating and inactivity-do not explain the current obesity epidemic. There is evidence of a general decrease in food consumption by humans and a significant decline in their overall levels of physical activity. There is also more evidence to indicate that the body's natural weight-control mechanisms are not functioning properly in obesity. Because the obesity epidemic occurred relatively quickly, it has been suggested that environmental causes instead of genetic factors maybe largely responsible.

There is way more going on with the health of our nation than meets the eye. Obesity is only one issue. Others would include the escalation of birth defects, genetic related disorders (including autism and other developmental disabilities), rising rates of serious asthma and allergies in children, etc. (I had a discussion about this with someone who is a PhD in Nutritional Science at NIH, as I have a child with severe autism and one with a rare congenital heart defect that required 3 open-heart surgeries. That individual has a child with severe asthma and has researched this topic - I can't find a study on this yet, but hope to soon...)

Worth thinking about next time you see an overweight person - and before you judge them. We are literally all in this environmental toxic soup together, my friends. Here is the full quote...

The number of obese people worldwide has escalated recently, revealing a complex picture of significant variations among nations and different profiles among adults and children, regions, and occupations. The commonly held causes of obesity-overeating and inactivity-do not explain the current obesity epidemic. There is evidence of a general decrease in food consumption by humans and a significant decline in their overall levels of physical activity. There is also more evidence to indicate that the body's natural weight-control mechanisms are not functioning properly in obesity. Because the obesity epidemic occurred relatively quickly, it has been suggested that environmental causes instead of genetic factors maybe largely responsible. What has, up to now, been overlooked is that the earth's environment has changed significantly during the last few decades because of the exponential production and usage of synthetic organic and inorganic chemicals. Many of these chemicals are better known for causing weight loss at high levels of exposure but much lower concentrations of these same chemicals have powerful weight-promoting actions. This property has already been widely exploited commercially to produce growth hormones that fatten livestock and pharmaceuticals that induce weight gain in grossly underweight patients. This paper presents a hypothesis that the current level of human exposure to these chemicals may have damaged many of the body's natural weight-control mechanisms. Furthermore, it is posited here that these effects, together with a wide range of additional, possibly synergistic, factors may play a significant role in the worldwide obesity epidemic.

Source: National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health

peace,
AB

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Methinks there's a difference between a bully and someone with a poorly formed or rude opinion...

Are powers of discernment being abandoned for a mentality where anyone who says something offensive is now a bully? Doesn't bullying require some sort of threat??

The world is headed in a scary direction.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join