It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I said I was a smoker and that I emphasized, in other words, I agree with you about the lobbyist.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

So then, will you please explain to us why we are only allowed to show concern for people who we personally know?
edit on 5-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, it's ludicrous to say otherwise! My issue is that the opinion can be about obesity without singling out a particular obese individual that you do not know.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If everyone managed their body entirely by logic there would be no fat people, because it doesn't make sense to eat more calories than your body requires. Logic also tells you that it's easier to accomplish your goals, no matter what they are, if your body is fit and highly energized. Especially if you are raising children, you need all the energy you can get. But the obvious fact is that your body wants to be healthy. That's why even after years of overeating and other abuses you can change your ways and diminish some of the negative effects of that life style.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I am not offended that some people will look at me and not like what they see. I am offended that hateful, derogatory words are acceptable as long as they are directed towards those who are overweight or obese.

The other thing you need to recognize is that the only reason people are out calling her names now is because she chose to do what she did. If she said nothing at all there wouldn't have been an issue. And she set herself up because she said "I'm fat" but "I have thick skin" and "This issue didn't bother me" (But I'm making a 4 minute video during the scheduled newscast to address it.)

How many times do people get called skinny? Anorexic, bla bla bla. It's just because you haven't been programmed yet to have an emotional reaction to it. We need a group of skinny people to cry to public attention and then it will be faux pax as well.

Being that both are descriptive words!

One being an antonym of another, dear god:

Main Entry: skinny  [skin-ee] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: very thin
Synonyms: angular, bony, emaciated, gaunt, lank, lanky, lean, like a rail, malnourished, rawboned, scraggy, scrawny, skeletal, skin-and-bone, slender, spare, twiggy, undernourished, underweight
Antonyms: chubby, fat, heavy, large, overweight, plump, thick

Of course, there are other descriptions that could be used as well:

overweight
Synonyms: beefy, big, blimp, bovine, brawny, broad, bulging, bulky, bull, burly, butterball, chunky, corpulent, distended, dumpy, elephantine, fleshy, gargantuan, gross, heavy, heavyset, hefty, husky, inflated, jelly-belly, lard, large, meaty, obese, oversize, paunchy, plump, plumpish, ponderous, porcine, portly, potbellied, pudgy, roly-poly, rotund, solid, stout, swollen, thickset, weighty, whalelike

I'm particularly fond of "Rotund"

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I believe you can show concern for people you do not know, I believe it's good to show concern for people you do not know but I believe that you can show that concern by educating about obesity without singling out an individual that you do not know. This makes it so that it can not be misconstrued as something personal.

In truth it shouldn't need to be that way but obese people have been subject to names like lardo, fatso, pig so many times that even constructive criticism from someone you don't know often feels hurtful now.

Again this is only my opinion, not the end all be all, and in truth, you and the other poster, boncho I believe is the name, have been quite fair and have not resorted to "name calling" per say. You've brought up good points that even I, as an overweight person, can agree with. I'm just trying to present the other side of the equation.

I think if posts like "lardo" "fatso" "disgusting pig" hadn't have cropped up I would not have felt the need to become so defensive. And did apologize to another poster earlier about seeming confrontational.

All people who do not think obesity is a-okay are not my enemy, heck if I thought obesity was the greatest thing in the world I wouldn't have lost weight to begin with. I'm only advocating tact and increased awareness of others feelings. And am trying to discourage gross generalizations that have cropped up in this thread.

But as I said this is only my opinion.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Rotund. I do love that word personally. I really prefer fluffy though for myself!

And I do agree that it is not only the overweight who are subject to descriptive words that can be found hurtful or derogatory. I focused on the overweight solely because of the thread at hand.

Although I am by no means "skinny" if I was out and about and heard someone "picking on" a person because of their "thinness" I would also say something. I hate to see anyone being picked on, frankly it ticks me off to no end!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Little hands surrounded by fat. Makes me think of a balloon. Sorry, no sympathy here. If you are fat you are in the way.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Kudos to you for giving direct answers to direct questions while using logic,reason, and compassion to guide your posts rather than

PURE, RAW, EMOTION!!!!

Which is what I have seen in what little of the thread I have skimmed thru.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
reply to post by boncho

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, it's ludicrous to say otherwise! My issue is that the opinion can be about obesity without singling out a particular obese individual that you do not know.

So in other words, people should be silenced or limited to their opinions. Here is a reality check, the world is full of absolute garbage opinions. The only reason you heard about this one is because the person receiving it threw a tantrum:

Let's check out some more:

Hatemail - with a reply from the recipient

Religious hate mail

Google God Hate Mail

Selena Gomez death threat mail

Justin Bieber hate tweets

Dawkins hate mail - Video

Responding the right way to unwanted opinions over a hundred years ago -F Scott Fitzgerald

Spaghetti Monster hate mail

R omney causes Mexican resto to start getting hate mail...

Of course, the above examples are a little harsher than what was said to the news anchor in most cases. Whatever, it's not important because most people pay no attention to them. And that's the lesson, is that you don't let things you don't like to hear get to you.

But if you plan to crusade against unwanted opinions then go ahead, I can provide more sources for you if you ever get through all of these ones...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Thank you and kudos to you for being able to voice your opinions respectfully. But I must admit that at times I did become somewhat emotional during the course of this thread although I did try not too. Like I said somewhere else in this behemoth of a thread, I am human and flawed, far from perfect that is for sure

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

You seem like an intelligent person, I've even gone through a few of your other posts on the board. The thing I don't understand is why it seems like you are letting your emotions role over your intelligence in this case. It's not good when any of us do that. But to be honest, I think you're smarter than that...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I will look at your links shortly. I understand what you are saying and have agreed that you have a valid point. I am only saying that for me personally I believe opinions and tact can walk hand in hand and that for me personally I believe that is the way it should be. I'm not out to change the world (I can't and don't believe I have the right too, due to my personal philosophy) but I have to stand by what I believe. If I don't stand by what I believe, what is the point of thinking for oneself?

I realize that we will not agree on this but I am willing to meet you halfway and try to see it from your perspective as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I had to star you for that one, as I just replied to another that I have let emotions rule in some of my posts, I can admit that for sure!

It is very hard for me to separate my emotions from intellect and logical thinking at times and I certainly don't mind being called out on it

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Although I am by no means "skinny" if I was out and about and heard someone "picking on" a person because of their "thinness" I would also say something. I hate to see anyone being picked on, frankly it ticks me off to no end!

We never got the full story (which happens often with media).

The original email was title "community responsibility" which leads me to believe the anchor did a news piece on "community responsibility".

Then the lawyer sends in an email, which is critical of the anchor (but not inflammatory) as they are voicing an opinion without being abusive...

-

I do believe the email was a reaction to something, and the anchor wasn't getting the email because she was obese, but because the lawyer thought her to be hypocritical or said something that offended him. (given the heading and the theme of the letter -being a role model-)

-

Moving on to the comments in this thread and around the net. Now the anchor is getting called names left and right, and is it because she is "fat", no, it's because she made a 4 minute video stating she had thick skin while complaining about being fat.

Moral of the story? People don't like hypocrites.

/thread

/issue
edit on 5-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I will look at your links shortly. I understand what you are saying and have agreed that you have a valid point. I am only saying that for me personally I believe opinions and tact can walk hand in hand and that for me personally I believe that is the way it should be. I'm not out to change the world (I can't and don't believe I have the right too, due to my personal philosophy) but I have to stand by what I believe. If I don't stand by what I believe, what is the point of thinking for oneself?

I realize that we will not agree on this but I am willing to meet you halfway and try to see it from your perspective as well.

I think what you are saying is quite valuable, and is great as a personal choice. I just don't expect everyone to think that way. But I'm not disagreeing with you that are opinions are best kept for people close to us. I think the most important thing is that we take those opinions as meaningful, and the rest should be disregarded.

What the people who are close to you say, is far more valuable than someone who doesn't know you, and what they say matters because they themselves matter to you.

reply to post by boncho

I had to star you for that one, as I just replied to another that I have let emotions rule in some of my posts, I can admit that for sure!

It is very hard for me to separate my emotions from intellect and logical thinking at times and I certainly don't mind being called out on it

I'm lagging behind a bit in our discourse, but very impressed by your self assessment. Something 90% of people fail to do.

-B

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Boo Hoo. Another Fat girl whining because nobody loves fat girls.... they have mutiple kids to be loved don't they?

Too bad fat girls can't stop eating... and blaming it on other things. And too bad they raise fat kids with just as little positive self esteem as their fat mothers and fat teachers.

This disgusting news personality had her 15 minutes of fame and in the future MSM will report on her 150 lb weight gain, a few more kids, divorced from her husbands, fired from her jobs, and the public assistance she'll end up on.

Not much future for the obese and if she had any self respect she wouldn't be fat in the first place, but she doesn't and she sure is.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
the NoAgendaShow does a perfect deconstruction on this just listen and find out what this is really about. PEACE

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You are so correct that we can't expect everyone to live up to our ideal (paraphrasing) also on the point of valuing the opinions of those close to us and disregarding the others....This is something that I have been working on for many years and although I am making progress, I am, admittedly, not there yet.

I have gotten to the point that I can recognize that I do in fact give weight to opinions that are not helpful and I have realized that much of my suffering is caused by allowing those opinions to effect me. I have even progressed far enough that at times I don't let them effect me. Still, as I have said, I do let emotion cloud at times. Of course I will continue to work on it.

As for the insults in the thread being done because she is a hypocrite and not because she is overweight, I'm not saying that she is or isn't a hypocrite only that if you feel she is a hypocrite call her a hypocrite if that's what you feel. Don't call her "lardo" because she is a hypocrite.

Again that's just the way I personally feel. That is my opinion, and like you said I can't expect everyone to live up to my ideal, that is where my emotion gets involved.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

and I'm being a jerk ...

and I guess you didn't watch the video

because you know it all already ...

Obviously you don't know sh!t

edit on 5-10-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join