It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I have plenty of “fat” people in my family who are wonderful people. There is nothing wrong with them. I love them. They are smart, talented and capable people.

However they’re still at unhealthy weights and it is a problem. I find it creepy how people are leaning toward the mindset that “fat is normal.” Everyone has their situation, but this particular woman is just creeping me the heck out calling the email an “attack” and “cruel” etc. Give me a break… it just wasn’t THAT bad. It was unsolicited but she’s a TV personality… so she should expect to get unsolicited discussion from viewers etc. This type of talk the reporter is throwing out is dangerous though. I’m concerned at the things society is dubbing “cruel” or “extreme” and other hotwords etc.

I have young members of my extended family, ages 6 to 14 etc, that are just blowing up like balloons. To say anything about this, to point it out as something that must be immediately addressed etc. has become so politically incorrect and so “cruel” that there is nothing to be done about it. I can’t say anything! We just watch these kids get fatter and fatter. There’s an 8 year old in my fam who is now seeing the doc for “thyroid” problems. I called this months and months ago. It’s the darn food, there is literal poison in some of this “food.” It inhibits the body’s ability to function properly! But I can’t say anything or I’m just a shallow, cruel man. No joke, so I have to watch my little sister, cousins etc. become unhealthy and receive lots of nasty chemicals and bad food sense.

This idea that fat is normal and okay and this chilling effect where nobody is allowed to say anything is really hurting a lot of people that are loved very much while keeping the pockets of some terrible food companies very fat too. It’s like the twilight zone as far as I’m concerned. Bullying someone for being fat is still VERY WRONG, but constructively addressing being fat is not wrong. I suspect this reporter will go on to lose some serious weight in the next year as the email she received was nothing but honest and constructive criticism. Best wishes to her!

edit: typically I would say it is not okay to go up to a stranger and try to school them on their weight... a family member or a TV personality just does'nt qualify as a stranger though, know what I mean?

edit on 4-10-2012 by eyebrowraised because: had to add a last thought

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have never seen this woman or her show before but presumably she hasn't got anything else more important to talk about except herself and her hurt feelings.

I come from a nursing background and it is imperative that people are encouraged to lead a healthy lifestyle for their own good.

The guy that wrote the letter did so in private and was trying to offer sensible advice. She goes ahead and airs the private letter in public ... sheesh ... the guy should sue her.

Anyway what the woman should have done and would be more productive in my opinion was to start a diet and a fitness program and invite her audience to join in and see how much weight they could all shed together.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I agree that I didn't find the e-mail itself to be bullying. Though did it need to be sent? Nah, not at all. If her crew and husband hadn't been bothered by the e-mail, she probably would have shrugged it off. She knows the things she needs to do for herself. I can't pretend to know how hard she's tried or if she has at all, and frankly, I don't care. It's her business.

I think there's a big push to get people to view those who are overweight or obese far too negatively. Many articles that I read on the subject show a faceless overweight person with their belly hanging out. So is that all an obese person is? A big belly? They have nothing to contribute to society? I call BS on that matter. I've met some pretty lazy skinny people who spend the whole day bumming around in their parents houses and playing xbox. I've seen people who others would call fat out doing physical labor and doing it well. I've also seen the opposite of that. More than likely, that was the person's personality to begin with.

I also have issues with where they get the statistics. A lot of it is BMI reporting which isn't a very accurate way to determine underweight/normal/overweight/obese. I'm sure some of you have seen this before, but below this there is a visual representation of people and their BMIs. Yes, some of them look exactly like the category the BMI puts them in, but some also do not.

Illustrated BMI Categories

I want to say that I do think people should strive to be as healthy as they can, but that's their choice. I can't make that choice for them and I'm certainly not going to tell someone how they should live their lives despite my opinion.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
you have to earn respect. you can't demand it.

anyone remember Bree Walker?

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

During her 20 years reporting and anchoring Southern California newscasts, such an introduction would have deeply offended disability advocate Bree Walker, who was born with a congenital condition called ectrodactyly. Traditionally referred to as lobster-claw syndrome, the condition fused together the digits of her hands and feet into claw-like appendages.

Much of her on-camera career in the '80s and '90s was spent with her hands hidden beneath a news desk.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

reply to post by CallYourBluff

obnoxious response that assumes so much - "It's about a change in lifestyle, not a quick fix but I'm sure you will find another excuse."

I was even a vegan for 2 years (I was a fat vegan).

Did you watch that video I posted on that last page?

Look, I know a ton about the subject I'm 40 and been overweight for the past 18 years. I know all about nutrition and I know that the 500 calorie thing was a bad idea and that water fasts don't really help. Those examples I gave were to show that it is not a will power issue. You all are making all kinds of assumptions that are simply wrong. I have done slow and steady (which is really the best) but it doesn't change the FACT that I feel hungry 24/7 on the calorie intake required to just maintain weight AFTER I have lost my weight ...

Neither is it a nutritional issue.

Please watch that video and learn something ...

www.youtube.com...

The doctors and researchers in this video have found through their labs what I have found through experience ...

BTW even with the weight, in spite of it, I enjoy hiking nearly every weekend in the mountains. Sometimes they are very strenuous and sometimes they are more moderate. I take family with me. I love the exercise and really my weight just gets in the way of being able to do more.

edit on 4-10-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I can see both sides. the guy although was rude about it does have a point - I don't care that she's overweight or that she's on TV being overweight - My wife is over 250 lbs, i'm 140.

She does have a problem and she knows it but part of the guys message was she should do something about her weight and eat healthier

She failed to address that important issue. Because of this and her admonition to be happy with who you are - she is contributing to the problem. My wife doesn't want to be fat. She struggles to lose the weight. This doesn't mean she has to be perpetually sad about it but she keeps trying, keeps striving to be healthier.

This woman should have balanced her words with not just being o.k. with who you are at this time but to strive to be healthier and perhaps stop overeating or doing the things that cause you to be fat. I have studied health and nutrition for years. It is almost unheard of even with thyroid problems to not be able to lose weight and be healthy if you eat the right diet and exercise consistently.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Well, to be fair, she did segue the email into a story about National Anti Bullying Awareness Month... Which I'm sure is a story a news cast would cover, she just had a nice example to share that went along with the story of bullying.. And IMO she has nothing to be embarrassed about and I feel she handled herself very professionally. and it seems that A LOT of her co-anchors/co-workers kinda pushed this along too

I think the reverse is true.

It seems to me, that she wanted to publicly humiliate the guy who sent her the mail and manged to use anti-bullying month as a platform to do it. The mail was maybe unwarranted and irrelevant mail, but in no way hateful of spiteful or maliciously written.

IMO she has just totally contradicted the whole point of anti-bullying awareness, and done it in a way that so many passive aggressive bullies do...by making herself appear to be the victim and using victim status to get others to do her bullying for her.

I read the guys mail several times and still fail to see the hate that she accuses him of. Her attitude at towards his mail, " your not my friend or family, you dont know me" is exactly where this should have ended with the mail gracefully arcing to the trashcan.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roxxi
I agree that I didn't find the e-mail itself to be bullying. Though did it need to be sent? Nah, not at all. If her crew and husband hadn't been bothered by the e-mail, she probably would have shrugged it off. She knows the things she needs to do for herself. I can't pretend to know how hard she's tried or if she has at all, and frankly, I don't care. It's her business.

I think there's a big push to get people to view those who are overweight or obese far too negatively. Many articles that I read on the subject show a faceless overweight person with their belly hanging out. So is that all an obese person is? A big belly? They have nothing to contribute to society? I call BS on that matter. I've met some pretty lazy skinny people who spend the whole day bumming around in their parents houses and playing xbox. I've seen people who others would call fat out doing physical labor and doing it well. I've also seen the opposite of that. More than likely, that was the person's personality to begin with.

I also have issues with where they get the statistics. A lot of it is BMI reporting which isn't a very accurate way to determine underweight/normal/overweight/obese. I'm sure some of you have seen this before, but below this there is a visual representation of people and their BMIs. Yes, some of them look exactly like the category the BMI puts them in, but some also do not.

Illustrated BMI Categories

I want to say that I do think people should strive to be as healthy as they can, but that's their choice. I can't make that choice for them and I'm certainly not going to tell someone how they should live their lives despite my opinion.

This is the sorta confused response that makes the whole issue hard to deal with.

Everyone with a "visible problem" is gonna be judged on it, maybe not harshly, but judged all the same. Assumptions will be made. whether that's being rude, drunk, obese or even say, have bad acne. But being judged isn't the same as being reduced to simply that problem... so a fat person isn't JUST a walking ball of fat, a heroin addict isn't just a walking needle... at least, when people spend more than about 10 secs interacting with someone. I mean, if I'm on a bus and I see a fat guy, and they register with me, I don't think: "hey look at that guy, I wonder what he had for breakfast, what he thinks about the Iraq War and how his day is going..." no one does that, as a rule; I think, if I bother to even think about him... considering I see hundreds of people out my car window/bus window/on tv/etc... I think, there's a big fat guy.

So, really, the idea that people like to push back against, that person x is "more than (insert problem)" is fairly nonsensical... the vast majority of people that actually interact with you have a MUCH more nuanced idea of who you are, your personality, etc., than simply fat or skinny.

Now, is it wrong to try and get people to lose weight by creating a general negativity toward "fat" in the media?

I don't know.

It certainly works.

It works with cigarettes, and drunk driving... it works with littering.... why not diet and exercise?

As for fat people "doing work" - yep, they do work, lots of them, and lots of labourers are indeed fat... and strong... you gotta be pretty strong to carry around all that weight! But that's a big "so what"... so what if they work, they are also chronically ill in many cases, and damaging their life, and often the life of people around them. So who cares is they are able to do manual labour? Not me.

As for the statistics, again, so what? If your doctor says your healthy, and you don't have chronic health problems, than simply ignore the labels... but, guess what, the obesity epidemic is growing in America... not shrinking.. regigging the BMI, etc., isn't gonna make anyone healthier - besides it's just a guideline.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by idmonster

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Well, to be fair, she did segue the email into a story about National Anti Bullying Awareness Month... Which I'm sure is a story a news cast would cover, she just had a nice example to share that went along with the story of bullying.. And IMO she has nothing to be embarrassed about and I feel she handled herself very professionally. and it seems that A LOT of her co-anchors/co-workers kinda pushed this along too

I think the reverse is true.

It seems to me, that she wanted to publicly humiliate the guy who sent her the mail and manged to use anti-bullying month as a platform to do it. The mail was maybe unwarranted and irrelevant mail, but in no way hateful of spiteful or maliciously written.

IMO she has just totally contradicted the whole point of anti-bullying awareness, and done it in a way that so many passive aggressive bullies do...by making herself appear to be the victim and using victim status to get others to do her bullying for her.

I read the guys mail several times and still fail to see the hate that she accuses him of. Her attitude at towards his mail, " your not my friend or family, you dont know me" is exactly where this should have ended with the mail gracefully arcing to the trashcan.

totally agree - she was the bully... which is why he chose not to come in I'd guess...

On top of that, a lot of people defending her are also engaged in bullying that guy - even though his letter was, at very worst - unsolicited... it wasn't even rude.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Perhaps she is unhappy with her weight and is projecting that in this video. He was blunt, and she is overweight, but people have a choice, and just because she is a bit overweight, it doesn't mean people will all of a sudden start stuffing themselves with food to try and be like her!

The email was ridiculous, as was her video.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
has anyone found the email addy of the guy, his fake name or real name? ive been searching all day someone said it was in the video but i cant find a video that says it or she says it unless i keep missing it? id like to find out if this guy even exsist, for all we know it was her husband ^^

i still believe this is a "fake story" made to steer public opinion, must be more harder bullying laws being proposed somewhere in next week or two ^9

It was mentioned on the news stations website. maybe they were smart and took it down but I doubt it

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Am I the only one who didn't find the e-mail insulting? Since when did it become acceptable to be fat? As Americans we're becoming soft both in the midsection and mentally. If everyone had that mentality diabetes would bankrupt medicare, not that I would be surprised if that\ happened anyway. She's an idiot and part of the cause of the problem here.

On a separate note- anti-bullying is the biggest crock I've ever heard.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baxta54
I agree that fatties should not be allowed on the TV, as they are a bad influence on the young.
Maybe I'd allow comedians, as the fat ones are sometimes quite funny.
Sumo wrestlers are okay too.

Fatties are a bad influence on the young? Do you think young people are going to watch an overweight person on t.v. and say "Oh I want to be fat!"

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
I have never seen this woman or her show before but presumably she hasn't got anything else more important to talk about except herself and her hurt feelings.

I come from a nursing background and it is imperative that people are encouraged to lead a healthy lifestyle for their own good.

The guy that wrote the letter did so in private and was trying to offer sensible advice. She goes ahead and airs the private letter in public ... sheesh ... the guy should sue her.

Anyway what the woman should have done and would be more productive in my opinion was to start a diet and a fitness program and invite her audience to join in and see how much weight they could all shed together.

I believe it was actually her husband who first made the letter public (didn't she say that in the video?)--she was actually going to just let it go, but it apparently bothered him more than her. I think that is why she chose to address it on air: because it had gone public and had gotten quite a reaction.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Meekbot2000

Because we all have to be the same, and those who are not must be bullied and punished into conforming.

Makes me sick.

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

it's an evolutionary trait for us to bully the out of shape... fat people.... when I was overweight I was constantly made fun of by my brother and family... then once I figured out the secrets to maintaining a healthier weight down (you know... when your shoulders down to your waist make a V) and people telling me how skinny I am... it's very uplifting and encouraging...

it's apart of surviving... and "tough love" as certain types call it.... people crying over spilled milk is kind of ridiculous.... bullying is only meant to encourage you and strengthen you... also callousing your heart (which is a necessity in a world that forces you to labor for a roof over your head and food in your kids mouth)... at least that's what I've learned from my experiences getting bullied all my life by the world....

edit on 4-10-2012 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
No one cares because she's obese and apparently making it okay to do so. She's also trying to make everyone feel sorry for her, only talking about herself for the whole four minutes. Also anti-bullying is wrong because we're all supposed to be robots with no emotional feelings.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It disturbs me how hateful and patheitic some of you people are! What happened to common decency? Some of you are quite correct that the anchor took it to far by bringing it out on TV and printing the writers name was wrong! What has the world now come to that we can be the judge and jury of those we view in the public eye! We persecute her because of her weight! What gives any of us the right? If you don't like looking at her, turn off the TV but sending her a letter saying that she is not the right image to be a news anchor is beyond pathetic! Though it did not seem it to some of you, this is an attack on her and anyone else that is not the PC ideal Barbi Doll physique! It's not like this man was writing her because he cared about her health as some of you had suggested! He did it because he thinks she is too fat or Obease to be a TV celeberty! You know what's messed up. I don't see anyone complaining about all the dopes on reality TV that demoralize themselves! All you people that are so dam judgemental are leading us to where we will all end up being judged by our appearance instead of our hearts! Maybe this is what we all deserve!
This way we will have a bunch of morons who have no morals or intelligents running things but as long as they look good on TV what does that matter! Unfortunately this is how the world really is now without any ethics but looking good ruining our world! Maybe we need to all grow up, wake up and grow a dam conscience!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by moniesisfun

reply to post by CallYourBluff

obnoxious response that assumes so much - "It's about a change in lifestyle, not a quick fix but I'm sure you will find another excuse."

I was even a vegan for 2 years (I was a fat vegan).

Did you watch that video I posted on that last page?

Look, I know a ton about the subject I'm 40 and been overweight for the past 18 years. I know all about nutrition and I know that the 500 calorie thing was a bad idea and that water fasts don't really help. Those examples I gave were to show that it is not a will power issue. You all are making all kinds of assumptions that are simply wrong. I have done slow and steady (which is really the best) but it doesn't change the FACT that I feel hungry 24/7 on the calorie intake required to just maintain weight AFTER I have lost my weight ...

Neither is it a nutritional issue.

Please watch that video and learn something ...

www.youtube.com...

The doctors and researchers in this video have found through their labs what I have found through experience ...

BTW even with the weight, in spite of it, I enjoy hiking nearly every weekend in the mountains. Sometimes they are very strenuous and sometimes they are more moderate. I take family with me. I love the exercise and really my weight just gets in the way of being able to do more.

I'm sorry but there is not a single thing you could tell me that I haven't heard before. I put fat on very easily myself but I now know exactly how my body reacts to different foods and diets. I have adjusted accordingly and keep myself a healthy weight. Your body is not a unique one off, you just haven't figured out what works for you. Feeling tired all the time is most likely due to too few calories and your body conserving energy and storing fat.
Your body does not run on magic. I found myself that I cannot eat simple carbohydrates due to my insulin response, so I only eat complex carbs such as sweet potatoes, brown pasta and rice, whole wheat bread ect..and it made a big difference. I have nothing against fat people at all but I do get irritated at the excuses people make.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Dude, you're just being a jerk at this point. I was trying to help you out of your self pity party. You feel hungry all the time because you have the gene which makes it difficult to reach a state of satiety..I don't need to watch the video to know that.

Just because you haven't found the correct protocol for your genetics, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some people will get this starving feeling when the carbs are too low. You may need to adjust your macro nutrient ratio a few times before find what's best, for example.

If you want to give up, and call us assholes for taking our time to try and help you, fine. Not my problem or concern at this point.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
People are cherry picking about what else the guy said.

The guy also went so far as to say, and I am paraphrasing, is that the fat woman should quit because she's too ugly and scares the kids because of her weight. We want them skinny and beautiful. Fat is just too unpleasant to look at. So get rid of her.

That's what makes it rude. It wasn't just about her weight alone, it was about getting rid of her because she doesn't meet some people's expectations.

That's the part that makes it bigoted.

But people want to ignore that and make it about her and try to turn this into her fault when it isn't.

Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions, and they always want to blame the other person.

But who cares, right? We all should just conform to what society wants. Society is more important than the individual. We all have to be thin, blue eyed and blond haired. Because that's what sells things and gets things moving.

Fat may not be normal, but who are you to judge? You don't have to like it, but trying to force someone to conform to your standards only makes people miserable. Let people live their own lives as they see fit and worry about your own life and mind your own business.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join