It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Obesity is genetic some people can do everything in the world and still not live up to someone elses expectations.

That emailer should know better.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

To truly understand why overweight people are the way they, let's see you put on a fat suit and live as a fat person. You'll see how they are treated day in and day out.

And when you experience being treated this way for years and years, you tend to develop problems.

Oh, but it's all their fault.

Yeah, that's what the bullies always say when they dump a nerd in a dumpster or a locker.

This is all your fault because you like computers and and are smarter than us. You aren't like us, so we have to bully you into being like us.

Screw you.

The bigotry in this thread is absolutely disgusting.

And it's all about conformity. This is one reason why I believe that Americans do not value individuality.

Because we all have to be the same, and those who are not must be bullied and punished into conforming.

Makes me sick.

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin
bullies? isn't this grade school stuff?

in real life... doesn't bullying take part in our everyday things... on a much larger scale... in the corporate world... anything involving money....

You don't have to call someone "fat" to be a "bully"....

Not any more. "Bullying" is the new ADHD which was Asbergers which was ADD which was...."I-have-no-other-excuses-but-to-blame-myself-but-I-can't-because-this-is-America-and-I-can't-be-held-accountable-for-anything-I-do-anymore"-dom

edit on 3-10-2012 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007
All i see is another attempt to say we need to regulate the internet and have a internetID all to "protect" kids. If you want to protect kids on the internet, don't give them unrestricted access to the net, don't allow them to make a facebook account that only teaches them share personal info online.

You have to be kidding.
There's no conspiracy in this.

Yes she mentioned Internet but didn't focus on that.

If she only made one person stop and think twice not to pick on others it's good.

I don't know what it feels like go be told you're too fat, I'm too skinny and got picked on for that, like she said as if I can't figure this out for myself. However this has always and only ever been said to me by an overweight girl. I have to wonder if she has ever told a skinny girl to " eat some food you look horrible" because I would never say " stop eating so much food you look horrible". It's just as hurtful. I recall an incident when I was outside gardening, my neighbour who was her size , came over and demanded to know what I weighed, what size of clothes do I wear, finished off by " I hate you. A girl my size wants to take you into a field and smash your skull in and kill you" .

Anyways I think her response was good and I just used hers to say what it's like on the flip side

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm still kind of angered that the earlier poster said I smoked and use this fact to "disable" my argument's effectiveness. I don't smoke, and I don't get where this poster pulled this information from.

Ok, maybe not angry, but a little peeved off because it will create the ripple effect that other posters believe that I participate in an activity and come off as hypocritical.

For the record: I don't smoke. I don't even engage in safe sex anymore. DON'T MISUNDERSTAND THAT LAST PART AND SAY 'HE HAS UNSAFE SEX' I'm totally celibate, by choice, for the time being.
Too much?

Maybe I should post my diet too...insecure much? Yes, kind of. It's like someone saying I own a a bunch of dogs and then arguing against me for saying that owning too many cats isn't healthy.

I should stop....

On Topic: Being Obese is inherently harmful. The letter was tactfully rude. The letter should not have been published by the news network. Obesity should not be accepted as normal. The anchor should pick up an exercise routine and simply cut down on her caloric intake. Everyone promoting fat acceptance is harming society in a major way. There is a difference between helping to educate individuals and being rude. There is a difference between bullying and being honest. Fat people shouldn't call other people fat, that's not helping. Education > Mocking. We really should make sure that our children are involved in HIIT activities and body weight training from a young age. Being kind and being dishonest are not the same things. It's no one's business but yours until you bring it out of the house and into the conversation of the social norm.

About Bigotry: Does anyone make a choice that leads to them becoming White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, Native American, Middle Easterner or anything inbetween? Does anyone make a choice that leads them to becoming Gay, Straight, Tall, or Short?
Does anyone make choices that lead to them being anorexic, bulimic, or obese? Yeah...we're getting somewhere.
edit on 3-10-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What is the definition of bullying? ... Definition: Bullying is intentional aggressive behavior. It can take the form of physical or verbal harassment ....Bullying behavior can include teasing, insulting someone (particularly about their weight or height, race, sexuality, religion or other personal traits), shoving, hitting, excluding someone, or gossiping about someone.

There. Now you know.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

To truly understand why overweight people are the way they, let's see you put on a fat suit and live as a fat person. You'll see how they are treated day in and day out.

And when you experience being treated this way for years and years, you tend to develop problems.

Oh, but it's all their fault.

Yeah, that's what the bullies always say when they dump a nerd in a dumpster or a locker.

There will always be people that disagree with you, don't like you, criticize you, etc...

It's up to the person to decide if this matters or not. Overweight people that are confident are no different than nerdy people that are confident, are no different than _______ that are confident.

If you let things people do or say affect who you are, then you're setting yourself up, sorry. There are plenty of people all shapes, sizes and colors that are quite happy with who they are. And "bullying" is a non-issue with them because they don't let it bother them...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Kim Dotcom

1. Trolled the music industry for the "lulz" -oh and millions of dollars
  2. His wife is hotter than yours
  3. His plane is nicer than yours
  4. Told the feds to give his &$^% back when they arrested him
  5. Told the courts he needed 40k a month for 'living expenses'
  6. Eats more meat than grizzly at a salmon farm
  7. Clearly obese...
  8. Doesn't get bullied… (Not even by the FBI…)

edit on 3-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Most things are genetic, they just require environmental pressures, significant degrees of stress, and caloric irresponsibility.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

There will always be people that disagree with you, don't like you, criticize you, etc... It's up to the person to decide if this matters or not. Overweight people that are confident are no different than nerdy people that are confident, are no different than _______ that are confident. If you let things people do or say affect who you are, then you're setting yourself up, sorry. There are plenty of people all shapes, sizes and colors that are quite happy with who they are. And "bullying" is a non-issue with them because they don't let it bother them...

Even the strongest of people can have their bad days, regardless. And when you experience years of constant bullying, even the strongest of people can breakdown.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hmm... when I saw this thread title I was honestly expecting more fireworks. The letter was certainly biting in an awkwardly direct way, but I'm not sure this was intended to be hurtful. Remember that video of the kids on the bus making the old lady cry?

THAT'S bullying in my opinion... and not to defend this guy's letter at all, but like every other pull-out-the-x-card issue, if we cry wolf one too many times then all the real instances of the issue lose their potency in the eyes of the public. The bus bullying needs to stop, period. This letter... I still can't tell if it's from an eccentric old man just trying to help.

I understand the mind your own business thing, but I also feel that the world would be a better place if we proactively helped each other out. So my question is this: what do you think would be a more appropriate approach to this letter if the writer actually intended to help?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Even the strongest of people can have their bad days, regardless. And when you experience years of constant bullying, even the strongest of people can breakdown.

Well that's just the thing. If you "experienced years of bullying" you aren't strong at all. Strong people don't experience bullying, because they don't play into it or acknowledge it.

Really now, do we need a top 100 list of powerful fat people?

Oh wait, nerd bullying, Bill Gates must cry himself to sleep at night, same with Peter Jackson and George Lucas... Fat gangsters? Must have been bullied right up until their demise, I remember Al Capone used to keep a box of tissues with him...

This is one of those myths where people expect and deserve some kind of special treatment because they're different.

I can tell you it all comes down to their personalities and nothing more...

The real question should be is the people that are on the side of this woman... Why aren't you rallying for the toothpick thin girl on TV that got called a whore and bitch last week just because she is "what the media portrays as beautiful" or some other nonsense.

The truth is, is you can make fun of absolutely anyone, I repeat anyone, and people do... And it's up to you as an individual if you are going to let it affect you or not...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by solarjetman

Yes, that does look like a clear cut case of kids being asinine. Unfortunately, as it is titled "bus monitor" we don't really know how that person treated the kids which led up to their abusive behaviour. Whether or not it was deserved it wasn't justified.

But, it's not to say that, that woman wasn't bullying the kids through her position of authority. Something that is left out on the story. If that was the case however, the kids shouldn't be labeled and demonized as "bullies", as the whole "bully" vilifying crusade has gone off the deep end.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

So what if the person is happy with themselves and don't need the help?

Should the help be forced upon them?

Hell, why not just take all fat people and put them into those FEMA concentration camps until they're all skinny?

After all, that's helping them.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
double post
edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

If it was the writers intention to help, there would have been several suggestions as to how she could lose weight. Not only would there be suggestions, but it would be presented in a kind, reassuring way. The person who wrote the letter lacked self-awareness and probably didn't re-read the letter. If he or she had read the letter first, he or she would have noticed the coldness of the tone.

This was someone who intended to hurt someone. Maybe to make themselves feel better. Sad to believe, but yes. Some people find reasons to hurt people to make themselves feel better. And yes, in this 'paradise' people, can mask their insults with concern. But true concern is filled with compassion, and even though they are aggressive with their opinion, every once and a while there is a tone that reassures the person. A few words that lets that person know: "I know you think I'm being hard, but I'm just trying to help"

This letter lacked all the elements of a concerned individual and had all the signs of a cold, unemotional rude person looking to vent his wickedness. ... in my opinion of course.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
reply to post by Catacomb

I didn't say I smoke. Where are you getting that from?

You're mixing up posters and framing information INcorrectly. I don't smoke, do drugs, or engage in any dangerous activity. I have an occasional drink on some Fridays. I lift four days a week and walk or jog a mile back and forth from the gym. I'll address your other claims shortly. Be sure, when quoting people, that you know who you're talking to.

EDIT: I just read the rest of your post. I'm not going to school you about unspoken vs enumerated societal norms. That you should know.

Also, correct your post if you quote me, because you're framing me to be something that I'm not, health wise. I take pride in my health.
edit on 3-10-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

Think of it as a general argument, not one tied to your character. If I mixed up posters, apologies.

I don't drink at all, so to me your drinking is too much. Maybe you are an alcoholic? Maybe you drink more than you admit? Maybe you don't work out, either? How am I to know, really? I don't, and don't personally care. I am merely pointing out here, that both my view of normal and your view of normal are quite different. Also, we have no way of knowing each other, and who is telling the whole truth. That is what makes the email she received ridiculous.

If you fail to detail what you mean by societal norms, it isn't exactly on the up and up to then say it is my fault for discussing said statement.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Catacomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
"Just stop eating so much and get exercise." Well that's like saying "just stop smoking, duh." or how about "Just stop being shy."

Of course what is going on is when someone else has a weakness that we haven't experienced, we assume it is because they are just lazy. Unlike the way we perceive our own weaknesses, we don't see theirs as the result of an uncountable myriad of factors. Obviously a weakness is often a personality fault. But why in the hell would we blame someone for that? As if they have control over it? Look, whether or not someone takes action and turns their life around MIGHT seem like it is a matter of pure will (which of course doesn't exist), but it is actually the culmination of of a huge number of events, many of which are microscopic events in the brain that we have (in non dream land) absolutely no control over.

Take a look at the weaknesses in your lives. Not the ones you have overcome. Consider yourself lucky to have overcome them. Take a look at the weaknesses that for reasons that you CAN'T fully understand, you have not yet conquered. Now imagine someone says to you you are just a loser for not tackling these problems. They do not acknowledging the reality which is the massive psychological and neurological complexity of the situation.

What we should all try to do in our lives is to fight our own weaknesses as best we can. And rather than blaming people for their own, we should strive to help them overcome theirs if we find we are in a better position to do something about it. That other person might require outside help. I seriously doubt bullying and insulting them is going to be the thing that helps.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I have not seen that video before. That's so sad! Ugh... It infuriates me!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This woman is nuts!

She thinks that is bullying ??

Talk about sheltered and sensitive!

She says, and I quote, "we need to teach our kids to be kind not critical".

So she's an idiot as well!

How about, : we need to get the highly subsidized HFCS off the shelves, and our kids outside again running and playing. We need parents to stop fearing the serial killers, and pedophiles around every corner, and the zombie apocalypse.

I think we should set up a donations fund for an eliptical machine to send her way. Maybe a decent education as well. Criticality is most needed right now, not kindness...sheesh.

Originally posted by neo96
Obesity is genetic some people can do everything in the world and still not live up to someone elses expectations.

That emailer should know better.

BS, obesity has a genetic component in some individuals, but it's not the whole shebang. It means it's more difficult to lose the lbs, but not impossible.

edit on 3-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join