It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A large lump grew on the roof of my mouth in roughly eight hours. What the hell could it be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I’ve had this happen before, the Docs would lance it and it would go away for six months or so. There have been times that it grew so quickly that it popped on its own. At which point I'm spitting up blood and pus.

In 2009, I had oral surgery to scrap off the bone what was described as a non-cancerous fibrous growth. I had no problems until today. Today it returned with a vengeance.

It became so painful because of the speed of growth that I punched out of work and went to the emergency room, who after three and a half hours of waiting prescribed me nothing more than Vicoden and Penicillian.
Lot's of good that does me.

Has anyone else had this happen before and what was done to prevent it from happening again. I'm calling my Periodontist first thing. Other than the possible cancer thing, what questions should I ask?

I've looked at quite a few sites that refered to this or something similiar, but almost everyone said that the medical community was fairly clueless.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Probably a giant mama spider laid an egg sack in the roof of your mouth.
I've seen it happen in movies so it must be true.

Seriously, I don't know. I would try going to a dentist. They can X-ray it at least.
edit on 2-10-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like an abcess/cyst type thing which could be caused by a infection of the bone area that was operated on. I had an infected tooth that had a root canal done on it and a few years later i had something similar come up on my gum beside the tooth.
edit on 2-10-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Probably just an infection, i wouldn't worry too much just take antibiotics and roll with it. Possibility you could have another growth but likely just an infection. I've gotten abcesses in my mouth before but they always go away, faster if i have antibiotics because the human mouth is the nastiest place on earth and literally a cesspool of nastiness. I chewed a hangnail off 6 years ago and it swelled up so bad i thought i was going to die and it hurt so much. Doc sprayed that cold crap on it to numb it up and mashed the crap out and the pus was all green nastiness.
edit on 2-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Could it be a Mucoceles Lump?

They are usually caused by blockages in the salivary glands. Bacterial infections usually result from a blockage (such as salivary duct stones) or poor oral hygiene. They can be seen in people who are dehydrated and in the hospital.

Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth and flossing thoroughly at least twice per day may help with healing and prevent an infection. If you are a smoker, stop smoking to help with recovery. Warm salt water rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of water) may be soothing and keep the mouth moist.

Drink lots of water and use sugar-free lemon drops to increase the flow of saliva and reduce swelling. Massaging the gland with heat may help.

But I'd keep it if I were you, you never know when you might need some tartar sauce with your chips.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Probably a giant mama spider laid an egg sack in the roof of your mouth.
I've seen it happen in movies so it must be true.

Seriously, I don't know. I would try going to a dentist. They can X-ray it at least.
edit on 2-10-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

If only I could be so lucky.
I would video the operation and post it to ATS.

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that as I refuse to take the vicoden and this thing is annoying as hell.

Then again, who knows, I do need the sleep before I call.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Could it be a Mucoceles Lump?

They are usually caused by blockages in the salivary glands. Bacterial infections usually result from a blockage (such as salivary duct stones) or poor oral hygiene. They can be seen in people who are dehydrated and in the hospital.

Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth and flossing thoroughly at least twice per day may help with healing and prevent an infection. If you are a smoker, stop smoking to help with recovery. Warm salt water rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of water) may be soothing and keep the mouth moist.

Drink lots of water and use sugar-free lemon drops to increase the flow of saliva and reduce swelling. Massaging the gland with heat may help.

But I'd keep it if I were you, you never know when you might need some tartar sauce with your chips.

Never heard of that, but I have been gargling with the warm salt water and drinking coffee in between, which does seem to help the pain...but also seems to encourage it to grow larger.

I'm thinking of taking a exacto blade to it...after sterilizing it of course.

And I actually like that nasty sense of humor as well.
Reminds me of...me.

edit on 2-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I would receive splinters from time to time. Wooden, metallic, just things of that nature. I would not know they were imbedded in my flesh. Until they were being forced out. Puss and blood and splinters.

Just a thought. Mayhap something is lodged in the flesh. Mayhap left over from the surgery. Mayhap your body has not yet been able to force it out. Mayhap it wont. Mayhap it will. Mayhap it acclimates and stops trying.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Try gargling warm salt water and swish it around then rub some salt on it. It worked for me when I a big canker sore on the roof of my mouth.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc
Try gargling warm salt water and swish it around then rub some salt on it. It worked for me when I a big canker sore on the roof of my mouth. [/quote

Also, good ole Baking Soda. Mix it in warm water (with the salt even) and gargle, swish as needed. Make a "paste" of baking soda and water and coat it so it can penetrate. Let it stay on as long as possible, then swish with water and spit it out.

Also, 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda in a glass of water, 3 times a day. It fixes the pH of your blood to perfection, which inhibits growths, and as an added bonus makes you feel instantly awake, alert and energetic.

Look it up, cool stuff that... and Big Pharma does NOT want you to know that this 80-cent box of kitchen essentials is also a true wonder-drug!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Thanks all. You've given me some food for thought. I guess I'll try the salt water, baking sode and Hydrogen peroxcide thing for a a few days or so. Along with taking the Penicillian.

If by day seven and this thing has not gone or is affecting my work and life, it's off to oral surgery for this kid.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Hey TDawg,

Just stopped by to say had it recur same place as yours, a few times, a few years back.
Went to my dentist, who had seen it before - lanced it, hurt like hell but the relief from the pressure was a godsend.
I recall he sent what he scraped for a biopsy - he may have even made reference to the "c" word. He said it was draining from an infected tooth, but I had no infected teeth at the time.

It came back 3 times, drained on its own once - yah how gross was that taste-- I drained it the 2nd time (sterile sewing needle) and the dentist drained it the 3rd time.

My tongue is automatically checking right now for the lump that has never returned, as it still does about 10X/day... body parts checkin' out how the other body parts are doin'...

My empathies with the pain and the pressure. It was something else-- especially when you're not sure whats causing it exactly.
All the best to you, get that relief back soon!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
Hey TDawg,

Just stopped by to say had it recur same place as yours, a few times, a few years back.
Went to my dentist, who had seen it before - lanced it, hurt like hell but the relief from the pressure was a godsend.
I recall he sent what he scraped for a biopsy - he may have even made reference to the "c" word. He said it was draining from an infected tooth, but I had no infected teeth at the time.

It came back 3 times, drained on its own once - yah how gross was that taste-- I drained it the 2nd time (sterile sewing needle) and the dentist drained it the 3rd time.

My tongue is automatically checking right now for the lump that has never returned, as it still does about 10X/day... body parts checkin' out how the other body parts are doin'...

My empathies with the pain and the pressure. It was something else-- especially when you're not sure whats causing it exactly.
All the best to you, get that relief back soon!

Had the procedure done today and the relief is immense!

However, I too have to go back next week for a biopsy. Oh joy.

Thanks for the response. Time to hit the hay as I haven't had to much sleep in the last 24.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Hows the mouth healing?
(if you're in Cda, hope your festive meal didn't aggravate the incision)

Yeah there was nuthin like that relief of pressure-- wacky stuff.
I'll practise some envisioning of a clean report re: your biopsy.
Keep us up on it,
and count how many times in a day your tongue goes to it to check things out..

All the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Its a bad Abscess more than likely from an encapsulated cyst.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Healing well. Thanks for asking.

It'll be three more days till I go for the biopsy.

But in the meantime, I'm not really worrying about it until the results come back.

And Yep, the tongue checks it out at least four times a hour.
Darn thing has a mind of its own.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm so sorry bud...I know that type of pain.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Are you sucking hard on a straw? Could be a form of a blister.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Nope. I haven't drank from a straw in years.

The Doc says it's either the big "C" or a periodontal issue. I'm hoping for the latter, but still am waiting for the results.

Amoxocillian has made it MUCH better and it has almost disappeared now.

Weird, eh?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Just dipped in to see how its going-- and hey that antibiotic that cleared it up I believe clears up any biopsy results, oui? Wheeee

So much easier to deal with when one knows what it is
(Blanket statement)

To a lump-free future,
IEB

top topics

<<   2 >>

join