It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pierre Salinger Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Pierre Salinger, former press secretary to JFK, has died at the age of 79. Salinger was noteworthy for his belief that TWA Flight 800 was accidentally shot down over Long Island, NY by the Navy. He was a press secretary to President Kennedy and worked for ABC News after that. He died of a heart attack at a hospital at an undisclosed location in France.

NYNewsday.com
Salinger died Saturday from heart failure following surgery last week at a hospital in Cavaillon to implant a pacemaker, his wife, Nicole "Poppy" Salinger, told The Associated Press Sunday in a telephone interview.

Mrs. Salinger, spoke from Le Thon, near Avignon in the Provence region, where the couple moved four years ago to run a bed-and-breakfast inn.

She said her husband decided to move to France because he was so deeply opposed to the presidency of George W. Bush.

He had left the network by 1997, when he became a prominent backer of the theory that TWA Flight 800, which crashed off Long Island in 1996 on a flight to Paris, was accidentally brought down by a Navy missile.

Salinger had said at the time that a government document showed the Navy was testing missiles off the coast of New York and had been told planes would be flying higher than 21,000 feet. The Navy was unaware that Flight 800 was flying at 13,000 feet because another commercial plane was flying above it, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Living in NY and having been in Long Island when the crash occurred, I have always been intrigued by this story. A close relative has a friend who worked for the military at the time who told her that it was accidentally shot down by the Navy. He said, however, that it would never be revealed as such because it would put the Navy in a bad light and there was nothing they could do to change what happened.

Related ATS Discussion:
TWA Flight 800

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by trek315
A close relative has a friend who worked for the military at the time who told her that it was accidentally shot down by the Navy. He said, however, that it would never be revealed as such because it would put the Navy in a bad light and there was nothing they could do to change what happened.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Banshee]

You can't change what happened, but what about:

A: Bringing the accident to light so that everyone who knows what caused it doesn't think the government is full of # for the rest of their lives.

B: Bringing closure to the families of the deceased.

C: So people don't think aircraft center fuel tanks spontaneously explode.

D: So that the people who committed the 'accident' can be held accountable.

E: To better understand what happened, analyze the accident, and make sure corrections are taken so that future 747s don't have 'spontaneous center fuel tank explosions.'

God forbid the truth be told.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I agree taibunsuu. I was just stating what the military person told my relative. I also think accountability would be an issue here but that would seem to be the last thing that the Navy/government wanted to happen in that situation. It was really the first time, for me anyway, that I was ever presented with a potential cover-up of something of this nature by our government. In a lot of ways, it really set my gears to turning about what other things may have been covered up in the past. One could almost say it opened my eyes and has helped me to learn not to just accept everything I read, see, or hear about. Unfortunately, such a lesson is, of course, no comfort to the poor families who lost loved ones that day and who have a right to know what really happened.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I guess nothing could be done. But somehow we didn't have that attitude when the Soviets shot down the South Korean 747 (KAL700?) in 1983. I guess the embaressing truth about catrastrophic, tragic events is only useful to investigate when it is a question of your enemies competence at stake, not your own.

The History Channel recently aired an episode of "Conspracy" on the subject but I have yet to see it.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Last week the Confuse History Channel did a conspiracy story on flight 800. Its amazing to me with the volume of informational facts availiable on the net that they would assemble a documentary in such a loose disinforming manner that practically steers the viewer into disinterest.
Some interesting things ive observed in this show that was not even core subject material or even addressed in this Doc.
Most all the Primary People that Boldly Challenged the Governments overall investigation in this issure, were referenced as "Died or Passed Away" looks like Pierre is now on that list.
The FBI Said they invite anyone to look at the plane mockup still in the hanger and show proof of an external attack (funny the last people that did they prosecuted).
All agencies said over 95% of the plane was recovered but the only thing left in the hanger is the 75% of the cabin upper shell NOW void of wings and any other component ever suggested was undeniable proof of a missile.
Now one seems to know where the rest is.
Funny That My freind still has some of the few pictures he downloaded from the site the people that were prosecuted had up at that time, that a federal judge allowed to remain on the site after they were arrestsed.
In all these pictures the mockup is with the wings, and in one picture you can clearly see a 3 foot diameter hole entering the bottom of the Right Wing at the Cabin and Exiting the top of the same wing. Surely he could not have been the only one to save these images.
Funny that all these coponents have been stripped from the mockup

how does a CWFT cause a three foot diameter round hole starting at the bottom of the RT wing and exiting the top of the RTwing at the cabin area Get Totally Dismissed?
My freind has a picture of it I will get and post later, if I dont have an unexplained car accident or similiar heart attack in between....

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Iwunder]

top topics

join