It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tehran declares intent to enrich uranium to 90% (weapons-grade).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Interesting article over at MEMRI.org...

In recent months, Iranian regime spokesmen have conducted a campaign of statements regarding Iran's intent to enrich uranium for use in nuclear-fueled ships and submarines – the latter a patently military use of nuclear power.

Regime officials, regime dailies, and websites close to the regime issued no fewer than 12 such statements, in which they declared Iran's intent to enrich uranium for nuclear fuel to power both surface sea craft and submarines. It should be noted that while nuclear fuel for surface craft entails uranium enrichment of 50-60%, nuclear-powered submarines require enrichment of 90%, which is the same level needed for the production of a nuclear bomb.

Now, to pre-empt those of you who are about to argue...

In an apparent belated realization that the statements regarding nuclear submarines and 90% had incriminated Iran in intending to enrich uranium for military purposes beginning in early August 2012, Iranian media and regime mouthpieces are now refraining from mentioning the demand or the ability to enrich uranium to a level beyond 20%. Furthermore, since late July 2012, regime officials have stressed that Tehran does not at this stage require enrichment beyond 20%.

Now, I'm not so ignorant to suggest that the US and Israel don't have a vested interest in taking Iran down... but I'm also not one to look at Iran through rose-tinted glasses. Articles like this certainly don't help.

The question is, where to from here?

No matter how you choose to view Iran, the rhetoric is becoming increasingly explicit in terms of the religious fervor that is driving their technological advances. Ahmadhinejad's belief that the 12th Imam (The Mahdi) will be ushered in when a Great War begins certainly lends credence to those who believe that Iran is quite happy to seek confrontation rather than avoid it... and the past few weeks have shown us all what the Islamist mindset lends itself to when provoked.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hard to know what to think here. As you stated, the rhetoric is getting pretty thick, from both sides. The agenda of MEMRI has also been brought in to question before.

A couple points from the article:

7.   Amir Mousavi, a former advisor to the defense minister, said that Iran has the necessary knowhow to enrich uranium to the 50-60% level needed to fuel nuclear ships and submarines, but added that it was prepared to discuss Western demands if the West recognized its right to develop civilian nuclear technology.

8. The Iranian website Fa.irannuc.ir, which is close to Iran's team of nuclear negotiators, claimed, "Producing [nuclear] fuel for submarines and ships entails raising the level of enrichment beyond 20%. However, it is extremely important to note that this is an entirely civilian move, as, according to the NPT, Iran has the right to enrich [uranium] to any level it wishes, for civilian use. This [comes as] a direct response to Europe and the U.S.'s recent sanctions against Iran..."

Sounds like they are acknowledging having the capability to do so, not necessarily planning to. But like I said, who even knows anymore.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

We should sit down with china and Russia and say hey we're going to give them a nuke and if it goes off we will turn the country into a wasteland(not fallout) and what ever is left of israel will invade. I really wonder what they would say.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Yeah I agree they aren't to be fully trusted. I created a short thread about MEMRI when I was doing a little research about them to see where they stood and who they are: MEMRI - The Middle East Media Research Institute TV Monitor Project

edit on 2-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well the first load of Bovine excrement propaganda I found is their claim that Submarines must have 90% enriched. Which they do not.

"The fuel in a seagoing reactor is typically more highly enriched (i.e., contains a higher concentration of U235 vs. U238) than that used in a land-based nuclear power plant. Some marine reactors run on relatively low-enriched uranium (requiring frequent refueling). Others run on highly enriched uranium, varying from from 20% U235, to the over 96% U235 found in U.S. submarines,[3] in which the resulting smaller core is quieter in operation (a big advantage to a submarine).[4] Using more-highly enriched fuel also increases the reactor's power density and extends the usable life of the nuclear fuel load, but is more expensive and a greater risk to nuclear proliferation than less-highly enriched fuel.[5]"

en.wikipedia.org...

"Russia's main submarine power plant is the OK-650 PWR. It uses 20-45% enriched fuel to produce 190 MW."

www.world-nuclear.org...

edit on 2-10-2012 by jacknast76 because: edit to add: There are more examples, like the French are using 7.5% enriched, not necessarily in subs though. You can go higher than 90%, but it is not necessary to power a sub.

edit on 3-10-2012 by jacknast76 because: Just want to point out that it was not Iran that said the 90% but the writer of the article. Where he states that "it should be noted"

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

The Middle East Media Research Institute, has an Agenda. They are equivalent to PressTV.

Also, do you have an exact link? I would like to read it , for myself. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I read a similar story today but it said 60% enrichment which would be used for subs if talks failed, dated one day ago. I think they have a right to their energy and until they want to start a war with us then we shouldn't interfere.

Here's a link.

top topics

join