It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eliminate the Electoral College

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

After much contemplation on the matter, I came to the conclusion that the best and most accurate way to elect a president would be popular vote by state. In that process, the individuals would elect who they will vote for as a state. This would essentially be the way a Governor is chosen. The State would then vote a single vote based upon the popular vote. Each states has equal weight on the matter of who runs the country, as each state should. The only thing I have not decided on is the way to break any tie vote. Perhaps it could be done use the majority vote of the territories.

Doing it that way gives the residents of a small state more say in our elections than residents in large states.

Either straight popular vote or the proportional electoral college, those are the only fair ways of doing it.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I personally think that the electoral college is a good thing, given how the government is to be set up according to the Constitution. The president is the head of the federal government and the states are the entities that comprise the federal government. As such it is only logical that it is the states that choose the president.

Though I will say that I would much prefer the electoral votes to be allocated by congressional district than winner-take-all; with the two votes that correspond to the senators going to the state popular vote winner.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

It gives every state equal say. I make the claim that the president is the representative of the collective states, as his title implies. It more accurately reflects the role of the office of President.

ETA: A president elected via popular vote or the weighted electoral college means you have a candidate focusing their campaign and their policies around certain states and essentially ignoring other. 5 or 10 states should not be the deciders of the chosen representative for the whole 50 states.
edit on 4-10-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
It's really a sad state of politics that when the ballot says "Romney" or "Obama" and you put your mark, you're NOT actually voting for the person that you made the mark by.

The electoral college means that even candidates who win the popular vote nationally by large margins (such as Al Gore in 2000) might not get elected.

The greatest democracy on Earth? Don't make me laugh.
edit on 4-10-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

I don't know about the other states, but in Oklahoma ,the ballot shows the candidates name then off the side shows the names of all the electors. I don't know if there is an online example (I might look later to see) but it looks something like.

Mark here to vote for the electors of "CANDIDATENAME" represented by the following delegates"DELEGATE"
"DELEGATE"
"DELEGATE"

and so forth. So if they want to find the sample ballot you can research the electors.

I don't know if we truely are the "greatest democracy"...but I know the "arsenal of democracy" has kept the world from speaking Japanesse, German, (twice) and Russian for the better part of 100 years

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join