It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Muhammad Cartoon A Day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

When Salman Rushdie mocked Islamic sanctities in his magical 1989 realist novel “The Satanic Verses,” Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini did something shockingly original: He issued a death edict on Rushdie and all those connected to the production of his book. By doing this, Khomeini sought to impose Islamic mores and laws on the West. We don’t insult the prophet, he effectively said, and neither can you.

Westerners could then once again treat Islam as they do other religions – freely, to criticize without fear. That would demonstrate to Islamists that Westerners will not capitulate, that they reject Islamic law, that they are ready to stand up for their values.

A Muhammad Cartoon A Day

I don't usually post things from Fox News (I don't even visit their website), but I got this article from a friend, so I thought I'd post it here for ATS. It could be an interesting social experiment. Even the most extreme person gets "overstimulated" by their obsession and can lose interest.

Perhaps if people showed the extremists that we're tired of their bullying and aren't afraid of them, they'd go away.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Perhaps if people showed the extremists that we're tired of their bullying and aren't afraid of them, they'd go away.

/TOA

So naive

edit on 2-10-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

/TOA

So naive

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If and when this is done to Christians, do you also think "it's about time we stood up to those Christian bullies"? Or does it become, "why are they always picking on Christians"? Or "Christians/Christianity under attack" - which we see so many thread about lately.

You're singling out the extremists in Islam to justify showing intolerance to their religion. Intolerance breeds intolerance.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Which prompts this question: What would happen if publishers and managers of major media outlets reached a consensus -- “Enough of this intimidation, we will publish the most famous Danish Muhammad cartoon every day, until the Islamists tire out and no longer riot”? What would happen if Korans were recurrently burned?
Link

Wow, what would FOX NEWS gain by all the attention? Is it MAKE news or REPORT news?

How about a quick thought experiment?

What if a major Islamic news corporation decided to actively antagonise Western Christians as part of a socio-political experiment? How would it look if they encouraged Muslims to burn Bibles every day?

It'd look pretty fricking bad and I doubt any Western Christians would 'tire out.'

The writer of the article, Daniel Pipes, needs to revisit his journalism education and check out the seminar on journalistic integrity and responsibility

Whatever colour, creed or religion...this is just incitement for *all* sides.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
If and when this is done to Christians, do you also think "it's about time we stood up to those Christian bullies"? Or does it become, "why are they always picking on Christians"? Or "Christians/Christianity under attack" - which we see so many thread about lately.

You're singling out the extremists in Islam to justify showing intolerance to their religion. Intolerance breeds intolerance.

It isn't possible to pick on christians...

But, you do have a point...both ideologies should be wiped off the face of the planet - not just one or the other...

Profound stuff Blackmarketeer...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Cheers, but to be honest Kandinsky nailed it - for a media outlet to egg on such behavior is unethical and betrays the integrity we need to demand from news media - they are there to report the news, not generate it. Sadly this sort of integrity is missing from Fox.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
No better way to put out a fire than to throw gasoline on it. FOX has taken duh to a whole new level.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've been watching these threads now for four solid years waiting to see the words "You do realize that by exercising OUR freedom of speech we're trampling on THEIR freedom to believe what they believe".

I've yet to see that post. If it ever happened, I missed it.

America has learned this strange distortion of the word "freedom" so that it now means "You are free to do what we say and you'll call it freedom and you'll like it or we'll bomb you".

That's not freedom. That's extremism, totalitarianism, despotism, and value projection.

Free means free - not just free to agree with what we say.

~Heff

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Posting a cartoon of Mohammed isnt trampling on crap. It may be taboo for Muslims but im not Muslim.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

When Christians start rioting and killing innocent people just because someone insulted Jesus (which happens all the time, and many of the jokes are excellent and very funny), then we can talk about tit-for-tat and needing to systematically insult Jesus in order to set the precedent that free speech will prevail and is worth any cost.

Comparing an insult against *any* other religion than Islam with the kind of reactions and barbarism that occurs when Islam is insulted is disingenuous at best. I support the NYC mosque, I support Muslims all over the world just as much as I support any other religion (which is to say, respect for the right to beliefs but knowing legal impotence of the religion is important). I don't even have an official religion, and the closest I get is Judaism mixed with anti-Zionism. I know full well that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people who would never think of rioting or killing. But the few who do are rarely "checked" by their fellow Muslims like people of other religions check each other. Christians come out to protest against Westborogh Church's ridiculous hate; most Muslims seem to make the excuse that they're not promoting the violence and denounce it completely, but everyone else has some responsibility too because they knowingly insulted Islam. To anyone who values their freedom of speech, that's the most disgusting argument you could make. WORDS and PICTURES are responsible for deaths and carnage? BS. I do not accept that false conclusion, and neither do most Americans. I say bravo to anyone brave enough to stand up to the expectation that we should EVER censor ourselves to appease a violent, terroristic minority of any kind.

Star and flag, OP.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Christians are mocked on a daily basis can anyone point out the last time a Christian "fundamentalist" a "christian extremist" issued a fatwa over it?

Link an article about those evil Christians who killed people over this:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

There's that imposition I was talking about. You're basically saying "Why would I care what they think? I'm not one of them."

Respect goes hand in hand with freedom. That is something that has been lost in almost all modern cultures.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

When they stop killing people and burning down embassies over pictures like that, then they and their religion may earn my respect... dont see it happenin though.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So why do we have to respect people who have absolutely zero respect for us?

I'm sorry, but it's always hypocritical to demand respect while never returning it.

Respect is earned, but the best way of earning respect is to treat people with respect.

And so far it has always been the extremists always demanding that we bow down to them. Ever since the Barbary Coast.

For example of this, the recent demand that we suspend the second amendment and outlaw any criticism of Islam in any way.

I'm sorry, but i just can't see this as America doing what you claim.

Now am I saying America is absolutely perfect and Saintly? No, I'm not.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

And that addresses exactly why our society is in sharp decline. The "Well, when they..."argument. Ever pull that one on your parents when they were giving you instruction? Ever say "I won't listen because the other kids..."

I did. And after the spanking and the restriction. I learned a bit.

Change never waits for the other guy. It does things itself.

If Muslims do not want to live the way I live? Fine. If they want to burn Bibles? Fine. Guess what. Assuming you're American - you can run down to whatever book store chain is local to you, buy a hundred Korans, and have a barbecue - using them as kindling and NOBODY will riot or die.

It's all hype. It's the media showing us the exception and not the rule. And it works. A few emotional pictures and the acts of a few idiots... and we blindly hate.

If I were an Arab I'd spin a news piece... discuss the rash of mass murders, spree killers, and serial killers we have in America and then I would use the same tactic to convince every single Arab on the planet that every single American citizen is Charles Manson.

Man do they know how to push our buttons.... these folks who run things.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Which prompts this question: What would happen if publishers and managers of major media outlets reached a consensus -- “Enough of this intimidation, we will publish the most famous Danish Muhammad cartoon every day, until the Islamists tire out and no longer riot”? What would happen if Korans were recurrently burned?
Link

Wow, what would FOX NEWS gain by all the attention? Is it MAKE news or REPORT news?

How about a quick thought experiment?

What if a major Islamic news corporation decided to actively antagonise Western Christians as part of a socio-political experiment? How would it look if they encouraged Muslims to burn Bibles every day?

It'd look pretty fricking bad and I doubt any Western Christians would 'tire out.'

The writer of the article, Daniel Pipes, needs to revisit his journalism education and check out the seminar on journalistic integrity and responsibility

Whatever colour, creed or religion...this is just incitement for *all* sides.

In a great many Muslim countries attempting to preach christianity will get you arrested or worse. Islam when it has power does not tolerate other religions at all.

I would suggest the collective response of the western world would be "meh, more bearded muppets prancing around". As we think they are backward kooks we tend not to care what they get up to as long they are not attacking us.

Thats the difference. Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians tend not to threaten and murder because of jokes about their gods and prophets.

Islam does. Islam is the bad tempered Wookie of the world religions. Theres a cartoon in there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

True, True and how many people died and museums burnt to the ground or a fatwa issued for this?

Do you even know what this is?
Back in 1989, the red and yellow photograph of a crucifix plunged into a vat of Serrano's own urine.

Piss Christ – a photograph that has attracted controversy for more than two decades – has gone on display in New York, at an exhibition which surveys 25 years of the artist Andres Serrano's work.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

A Muhammad Cartoon A Day

Doesn't the idea of "pestering" them with Muhammad cartoons every day sound just a little like "bullying" to you? Because it sure does to me.

It was already said: Intolerance breeds intolerance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join