It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed Of Sound Skydive Set For October 8th 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds of over 700mph! before parachuting to the ground. His attempt to dare atmospheric limits holds the potential to provide valuable medical and scientific research data for future pioneers.

The Red Bull Stratos team brings together the world's leading minds in aerospace medicine, engineering, pressure suit development, capsule creation and balloon fabrication. It includes retired United States Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who holds three of the records Felix will strive to break.

Joe's record jump from 102,800 ft in 1960 was during a time when no one knew if a human could survive a jump from the edge of space. Joe was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and had already taken a balloon to 97,000 feet in Project ManHigh and survived a drogue mishap during a jump from 76,400 feet in Excelsior I. The Excelsior III mission was his 33rd parachute jump.

Although researching extremes was part of the program's goals, setting records wasn't the mission's purpose. Joe ascended in helium balloon launched from the back of a truck. He wore a pressurized suit on the way up in an open, unpressurized gondola. Scientific data captured from Joe's jump was shared with U.S. research personnel for development of the space program. Today Felix and his specialized team hope to take what was learned from Joe's jumps more than 50 years ago and press forward to test the edge of the human envelope.

I think ATS is a great place for this...... below is a advertising video about the jump

Red Bull Stratos link

I'll try and setup a live video when they start streaming..

enjoy

put in wrong location Mods can you move please
edit on 2/10/12 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.
Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
How will he exceed the terminal velocity, does it have something to do with the high elevation having little resistence on him?

I was under the impression the the terminal velocity for a human being (within the earths atmosphere) was around 200KM/H

Further is it considered faster then the speed of sound when its beyond our atmosphere

edit on 2-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

It is a cool project. But how how does it relate to NWO?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The atmosphere is less dense so his top speed will be at terminal velocity is 700mph or mach 1.2

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orgasmo

It is a cool project. But how how does it relate to NWO?

how do you change to correct location, i hit NWO by accident!!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The air is less dense the higher you get. Therefore less resistance. Being a skydiver I can tell you that speeds above 200 km/hr are achieved. I believe the latest record set this summer was around 350 mph.

iloveskydiving.org...
edit on 2-10-2012 by Orgasmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I'm sure a mod will for you shortly. Not sure where it would go. Could be many catagories.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

NASA is paying close attention, eager to improve its spacecraft and spacesuits for emergency escape, but is merely an observer; the energy drink maker is footing the bill and will not say how much it costs.

Article

I assume there is a patent pending somewhere.

If successful, this could be worth a lot of money.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Let me get this straight, this guy who is now 50 years older than he was when he made his last record breaking jump is going to freefall from a height so high that he could travel at super sonic speeds.

Er.. Whats that velocity/acceleration that's powerful enough to create a sonic boom going to do to his 70 year old body?

Sounds to me like he has a death wish and this is his chosen way of committing suicide

I'm going to nominate him for a Darwin award Now.
edit on 2-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
How will he exceed the terminal velocity, does it have something to do with the high elevation having little resistence on him?

I was under the impression the the terminal velocity for a human being (within the earths atmosphere) was around 200KM/H

Further is it considered faster then the speed of sound when its beyond our atmosphere

edit on 2-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

Your question requires an examination of at least 2 equations. The first has to do with the density of the atmosphere as a function of temperature and pressure. Pressure is simply the mass of a column of air above the measurer. If you go to 120,000 feet, there isn't much of a column above you, so there isn't much pressure. The pressure equation is p=1^-(h/7) where p is pressure in bars and h is altitude in kilometers.
Terminal velocity is likewise dependant upon, among other things, air (fluid) density Since the equation requires some multivariable calculus, I won't try to show off by typing it.
The speed of sound in air depends on temperature. The air temp at 120000 feet is likely to be in the neighborhood of -70F. At that temperature the speed of sound (technically the "propagation speed") is about 660 mph. Since the air pressure at that altitude is about 1% of that on the surface, he should have no trouble hitting that speed.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Let me get this straight, this guy who is now 50 years older than he was when he made his last record breaking jump is going to freefall from a height so high that he could travel at super sonic speeds.

Er.. Whats that velocity/acceleration that's powerful enough to create a sonic boom going to do to his 70 year old body?

Sounds to me like he has a death wish and this is his chosen way of committing suicide

I'm going to nominate him for a Darwin award Now.
edit on 2-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

Your missing it here, joe kittinger did it in 1960 from 102,000 feet Felixstowe Baumgartner is doing it in 5 days from 120,000

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Baumgartner's team has a plan for every contingency but one: If the balloon ruptures shortly after liftoff because of a gust of wind or something else, the capsule will come crashing down with him inside. He won't have time to blow the hatch and bail out.

Extreme daredevil? Yes.

Suicide? No

If I had to make a bet, I'd go with one of the bail-out contingencies coming into play.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phatdamage

Your missing it here, joe kittinger did it in 1960 from 102,000 feet Felixstowe Baumgartner is doing it in 5 days from 120,000

Opps. Your right, i must have misread something. Thanks. darn. I really wanted to see a 70 year old try this. LOL

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

Baumgartner's team has a plan for every contingency but one: If the balloon ruptures shortly after liftoff because of a gust of wind or something else, the capsule will come crashing down with him inside. He won't have time to blow the hatch and bail out.

Extreme daredevil? Yes.

Suicide? No

If I had to make a bet, I'd go with one of the bail-out contingencies coming into play.

Thanks .. but of course at the time I did think the guy was a 70 year old. Thats the major reason I thought this unwise.

But seriously.. lets say this guy is a nice young age.. still.. whats the same forces that create a sonic boom going to do to this guy? Will there even be a sonic boom?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Thanks .. but of course at the time I did think the guy was a 70 year old. Thats the major reason I thought this unwise.

OK gotcha... I still think it's unwise

whats the same forces that create a sonic boom going to do to this guy? Will there even be a sonic boom?

If all goes well, he will reach the speed of sound in about half a minute at an altitude of around 100,000 feet. Then he will start to slow as the atmosphere gets denser, and after five minutes of free fall, he will pull his main parachute.

I don't know the exact physics involved, but I don't believe a shock wave is a possibility here.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Apart from the "not 70 years old" aspect, he will accelerate at 1 G.

There is nothing particularly violent about exceeding the speed of sound as compared to approaching it. As long as he can keeping himself falling "clean" he won't even be aware of reaching the speed of sound (unless he's carrying a Machmeter).

edit on 10/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The speed of sound as sea level is something about 730mph.

He definitely won't be going that fast at sea level. So how does the so-called "Speed of Sound" vary with altitude?
edit on 2-10-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Not so much with altitude as with temperature but he'll be trying to reach about 690 mph.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Aliensun

Not so much with altitude as with temperature but he'll be trying to reach about 690 mph.

He'll only need about 660. The equation is:
v(sound)= 643.855 x (T/273.15)^0.5. The v is given in knots. 1 knot=1.15mph. T is temperature.

top topics

join