It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge halts Pa.'s tough new voter ID requirement

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
What an excellent summation of those who can now vote. Getting an ID card is too difficult.

I wonder if anything else would be difficult for this population. Hmmmm.

And what population are you referring to? The elderly? The disabled?

Stop being snobbish and try--just for a second--to put yourself in their shoes.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
reply to post by Grimpachi

I am talking about how other states have the very same requirement, and I am asking if those states enacted the law based on dirty politics as per your claim.

PA's law is tougher. As I understand it other states will allow you to use a utility bill or anything with your name and address on it. PA says no--it MUST be a photo ID.

The founding fathers are spinning in their graves. The right to vote is enshrined in the Constitution. Nowhere is it mentioned that you need ID to vote.

Like I said, I worked as an election judge in 2008, and Illinois required photo ID with the current address listed. A photo ID and a utility bill was required for a change of address.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
What an excellent summation of those who can now vote. Getting an ID card is too difficult.

I wonder if anything else would be difficult for this population. Hmmmm.

And what population are you referring to? The elderly? The disabled?

Stop being snobbish and try--just for a second--to put yourself in their shoes.

By this population, I meant this population of people who are so challenged by the requirement to provide photo ID that they, and their advocates, are throwing fits. I thought that was obvious from my statement. The groups you suggest as being a part of this population? Sure, there may be some folks from those groups in the population. I'm sure there's all kinds of people in that population.

Perhaps the reason you assumed my point was directed in a derogatory way at one obviously disadvantaged or challenged group is due to the fact that your mind jumped to that conclusion, and you felt disgusted by your own brain.

I don't think standing in a line and providing documentation on who I am is difficult. Many folks agree that sentiment isn't snobby. Were I inclined to vote, I'd certainly have no issue collecting my social security card or birth certificate, along with some type of utility bill with my address on it, and then standing in a line for my voter card. But that's me.

YOU made the assumption as to what I meant, and YOU cast judgement on my value by calling me a snob. Really? For thinking it wasn't too much work to get that done over the course of several weeks? Were I inclined to cast judgements, I'm sure I'd have a colorful term for you as well. Fortunately I realize you're a complicated individual just as I who cannot be reduced to a term.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L
Ahhh, the hypocritical left.....you've done it again. These are the same people crying foul about voter fraud being the only reason Bush won both of his elections, but when it's them getting or keeping office, they're all 100% against preventing voter fraud. LOL.....unbelievable. Brainwashed hypocrites....every last one of them.

You should do a little research about that election the complaint was not about voter fraud.

I will not make it easy on you so you should take the time and look it up or you will remain part of the uninformed right.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Originally posted by Larry L
Ahhh, the hypocritical left.....you've done it again. These are the same people crying foul about voter fraud being the only reason Bush won both of his elections, but when it's them getting or keeping office, they're all 100% against preventing voter fraud. LOL.....unbelievable. Brainwashed hypocrites....every last one of them.

You should do a little research about that election the complaint was not about voter fraud.

I will not make it easy on you so you should take the time and look it up or you will remain part of the uninformed right.

I am curious, are you going to respond to our observations about how other states have the same or similar law already in place, and whether those states are also victims of partisan politics in the way that you claim Pennsylvania is? Or are you just going to keep telling us to read the article. I thought this was a discussion board, not a lecture board.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Why are the PA Voter ID requirements written so that 80 percent of PA college ID's are invalid?

The requirements state that college ID must have a current expiration date, when 80 percent of PA colleges don't have an expiration date on their ID's. Why is that?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

When someone makes an asinine statement completely off topic like the one I was responding too, or did you not read what I responding was too before you posted.

Also I believe I already covered the question you are posing.

I do wonder if you actually read the article because your first question was based off of the title so maybe you didn’t notice that is the same title of the article it is referenced too. So I take it you have a problem with the author and not my interpretation.

Perhaps you should read things first.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

I would think the answer is obvious. They do not want college students to vote because historically they are not republicans.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
Why are the PA Voter ID requirements written so that 80 percent of PA college ID's are invalid?

The requirements state that college ID must have a current expiration date, when 80 percent of PA colleges don't have an expiration date on their ID's. Why is that?

Why are college students using their school ID to vote anyway? Getting a State ID is very easy, a Drivers License is a necessity for the majority of people, and furthermore, if they are out of state students, are they claiming residency in PA or voting absentee in their home district? Or, are they trying to do both?(Which is something this law would be trying to prevent.)

I am still failing to see any good argument here. Did you know that to get a bank account, most banks require you to have a government issued ID? There is no conspiracy theory there(yet). For that matter, how do senior citizens cash their Social Security checks without a valid Government issued ID?
In order to take the exam for the GED, I had to get a State ID. Conspiracy there too? Dirty politics as well?
edit on 5-10-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Here is some real voter fraud.

The Republican Party of Florida is dumping a firm it paid more than $1.3 million to register new voters, after Palm Beach County Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher flagged 106 "questionable" registration applications turned in by the contractor this month.

Yesterday, Michael Isikoff reported that the registration troubles had spread:
NBC News has learned that four other Florida counties have also reported hundreds of possible fraudulent registration forms submitted by the firm, including apparent dead people being registered as new voters. Prosecutors in two counties are investigating possible voter fraud by the GOP consulting firm, officials said.
(To this day, Fox treats misaddressed voter registration forms as "fraud.") But this morning, Kilmeade and his guests made no mention of the fact that the Republican Party was just forced to fire a consulting firm for submitting potentially bogus voter registration forms; forms being reviewed by local law enforcement.

At Fox News, the hotbed for "voter fraud" stories, the embarrassing news from Florida is of little concern.

source

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

reply to post by Junkheap

I would think the answer is obvious. They do not want college students to vote because historically they are not republicans.

No, because secure ID's have an expiration date on them and this would help prevent a person who is no longer a student from voting in both his home district and his school location. Democrats do not like this because they like to be able to vote twice. Much like the snowbirds who vote in both NY and FLA, one by absentee and the other in person.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Here is some real voter fraud.

The Republican Party of Florida is dumping a firm it paid more than $1.3 million to register new voters, after Palm Beach County Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher flagged 106 "questionable" registration applications turned in by the contractor this month.

Yesterday, Michael Isikoff reported that the registration troubles had spread:
NBC News has learned that four other Florida counties have also reported hundreds of possible fraudulent registration forms submitted by the firm, including apparent dead people being registered as new voters. Prosecutors in two counties are investigating possible voter fraud by the GOP consulting firm, officials said.
(To this day, Fox treats misaddressed voter registration forms as "fraud.") But this morning, Kilmeade and his guests made no mention of the fact that the Republican Party was just forced to fire a consulting firm for submitting potentially bogus voter registration forms; forms being reviewed by local law enforcement.

At Fox News, the hotbed for "voter fraud" stories, the embarrassing news from Florida is of little concern.

source

Wow, its like ACORN all over again! How soon we choose to forget.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Maybe you do actually read the sources but I fail to see why you pointed out exactly what the article said itself. Oh wait you didn’t read it did you? You thought you were being smart or you were being captain obvious..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Wow, its like ACORN all over again! How soon we choose to forget.

LOL, ACORN, Black Panther intimidation in Philly, the Daley Machine, busing seniors to the polls and telling them how to fill out the ballots, helping illegals vote, etc.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Maybe you do actually read the sources but I fail to see why you pointed out exactly what the article said itself. Oh wait you didn’t read it did you? You thought you were being smart or you were being captain obvious..

Your link does not work for me, besides, no matter what the article said, you used it as evidence of Republicans manipulating the elections through voter fraud in addition to your previous claims that this law was what you referred to as Dirty Politics. No matter what the article stated, you chose to cite only the recent claim that involved the Republican party, ignoring the past transgressions of the Democrats. Why did you not choose to present the whole picture, coming to the more accurate conclusion that both parties engage in such hi jinks? Perhaps you chose that route to make a certain party look bad, and maintain the illusion that the other party resides on some kind of moral/legal high ground?
I still want to know how those seniors you are so concerned about, the ones who are unable to get to the DMV, I am curious how they cash their Social Security checks without an ID.
edit on 5-10-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: added

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I still want to know how those seniors you are so concerned about, the ones who are unable to get to the DMV, I am curious how they cash their Social Security checks without an ID.

Not that it matters, but how about electronic deposit? That is how my pay checks are done and SS is, or can be, set up the same way. Funny thing, I haven't been inside a branch of my bank in over 20 years. I write checks and use my check card, no need to go to the bank. If I were to let my valid ID expire, it wouldn't change my current status with my bank. I could still make deposits, I could still write checks, I could still make ATM withdraws, and I could still pay with check card.

The bottom line is that there are eligible voters that do not have a valid photo ID. Their reasons are many, but their reasons should not concern you, or anyone else for that matter.
edit on 5-10-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

That was how my mother did it, after her driver's license expired. She couldn't get around much due to health reasons. She had a joint account with my name on it, so sometimes she sent me to the bank to take out money for her.
edit on 5-10-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap

That was how my mother did it, after her driver's license expired. She had joint account with my name on it, so sometimes she sent me to the bank to take out money for her.

I do the same thing for my elderly parents.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

source

I laid out bait and you took it.

I think you have the wrong idea how this works. If you wish to show proof of voter fraud on the democratic side that is your prerogative but please be realistic I am not here to do your work.

What is with this new trend I am seeing on ATS where people want their case to be made for them? Is it just laziness?

BTW the link I just posted works feel free to draw comparisons.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Fair enough, I was not aware SS was able to do direct deposit. When I took care of my grandfather, he would get a Railroad Retirement check each month, and direct deposit was never considered since the bank was a minute walk from our doorstep and it gave him something to do.

For what its worth, I live in Poland now, and they did away with paper checks years ago. Not sure of the history, but someone once told me about some kind of scam involving rounding and different currencies. Also not sure if other european countries have done the same.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join