It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge halts Pa.'s tough new voter ID requirement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A judge on Tuesday blocked Pennsylvania's divisive voter identification requirement from going into effect on Election Day, delivering a hard-fought victory to Democrats who said it was a ploy to defeat President Barack Obama and other opponents who said it would prevent the elderly and minorities from voting.

Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson said in his ruling that he was concerned by the state's stumbling efforts to create a photo ID that is easily accessible to voters and that he could not rely on the assurances of government officials at this late date that every voter would be able to get a valid ID.

I think this is good news. In my opinion any laws that they wish to change shouldn’t go into effect until next election. I wouldn’t have such an opinion on this if it wasn’t for the sound bite that came out where it was touted that by changing Voter Id Regulation was a victory for Romney’s campaign. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of gloating now everyone knows the motivation behind it and it has now been shot down. Dirty politics as usual.
source

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
"Tough" voter ID requirement? Seriously? "Tough"?? Is it tough to rent a video? Is it tough to get a library card? What a joke.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
"Tough" voter ID requirement? Seriously? "Tough"?? Is it tough to rent a video? Is it tough to get a library card? What a joke.

I echo that. This has been the case in many other states for years, and was so in Illinois in 2008 when I worked as an election judge. I really do not see how it is controversial or tough.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
"Election workers will still be allowed to ask voters for a valid photo ID, but people without it can use a regular voting machine in the polling place and would not have to cast a provisional ballot or prove their identity to election officials afterward."

Please read the provided source info.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

How exactly does that relate to anything either of us said? You are taking some liberal leaning headline and calling it dirty politics when I would gather that most states require a photo ID to vote. Does that mean Romney got to them too? How is preventing voter fraud dirty politics? You are really reaching, and your bashing of the Romney campaign shows your personal bias, which is sadly influenced by a misleading headline.

Please, please, I beg of you, explain how this is dirty politics, rather than left leaning nonsense rabble rousing

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

I understand the right wing is concerned about voter fraud just look at how much they are perpetrating it in Florida..

Lol so you say it’s a left leaning article. Nice joke you’re a funny a guy.
I guess by your definition anything that doesn’t lean Right must be left just wow.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

I understand the right wing is concerned about voter fraud just look at how much they are perpetrating it in Florida..

Lol so you say it’s a left leaning article. Nice joke you’re a funny a guy.
I guess by your definition anything that doesn’t lean Right must be left just wow.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

Then explain the headline, how is it a tough rule if so many other states already require the same? I might be a funny guy, but you are not answering any of my questions, which I find humorous myself. Perhaps you simply don't have any answers?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

So maybe you can explain this if it’s not such an issue. Why is it such a big issue to them?

GOP voter Fraud

Seperate question. You think that AP news is liberal?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I think it was a liberal leaning headline. Any news outlet can have conservative and liberal writers. If the article is as neutral as you claim it is, you should have no trouble explaining why requiring an ID to vote is a TOUGH rule. I would think that voting is at least as much of a privilege as driving, yet no one refers to the requirement of a photo ID in order to legally drive as being a TOUGH rule.

My wife is asleep next to me,so the video will have to wait for now.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I do agree with the I.D. requirement, It should been implemented earlier. I will agree with being used next year. I have a 90 year old neighbor with no driver's I.D. I assume their are many elderly people in the same boat and even very restricted to travel, if in convalescent homes and the like, With limited ways to go and get a free I.D., I believe they can hold off another year.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Well we disagree on that matter then. The republicans obviously thought that by changing the law it would give them a better chance at the election. If you are truly interested a quick Google search and you can become well informed. BTW I do not mind a rule change but I think there needs to be ample time for all to conform.

/

Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai, a Republican who helped push the law through the Pennsylvania legislature this spring without a single Democratic vote, said he was pleased the law was upheld for future elections.

At a fundraiser in June, Turzai had touted it as a key achievement that would help the Romney camp this November, saying: "Voter ID, which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania - done."

Governor Tom Corbett, also a Republican and backer of the law, said he had no plans to appeal the decision handed down on Tuesday.

NO VOTER FRAUD SHOWN

Corbett and other supporters say the law is aimed at ensuring only those legally eligible to vote cast ballots. Critics say it is designed to keep minority voters, who typically vote Democratic, away from the polls.

The state of Pennsylvania has acknowledged it has never seen a case of in-person voter fraud, according to court testimony.

The high court had instructed Simpson to determine whether the Corbett administration was doing enough to ensure voters had "liberal access" to the picture ID cards needed to vote in November.

Groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union, League of Women Voters, Latino Justice, and SeniorLAW Center have argued the requirements make it impractical or nearly impossible for senior citizens, minorities and the poor to get the IDs.

On Tuesday, a three-hour wait at a voter ID issuing center in Philadelphia was endured by a crowd of 200 people, mostly African-American.

"I believe in voting. It's my right," said Geneva Workman, 76, a retired housekeeper who decided to stay in line despite the ruling that would allow her vote without an ID in November.

Sorry but at the moment I am packing for a trip out of the country tomorrow. I already filled out my absentee ballot but I still have a lot of loose ends so if you could do some Google searches on the matter maybe later I will have time to debate them with you.

source

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Okay,, my home state is almosg always.controlled by Democrats, so your logic dictates that the ID law in Illinois was put into place to handicap a Republican candidate? I think not.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I want to ask you a serious question. Are you just playing games do you honestly not understand?
The law is to discourage democrats from voting which is why republicans are pushing it. If you read all the articles how on earth did you come to the conclusion it is to handicap republicans?

Sarcasm is something that takes a little skill to convey through typing so lease just is strait forward.

BTW the threads tittle is text I copied and pasted from the source article just so you know it isn’t a spin.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I am talking about how other states have the very same requirement, and I am asking if those states enacted the law based on dirty politics as per your claim.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I don’t know about the other states but I would think the rule applies that it makes it harder on the elderly and poor as it does in most places. I don’t think there have even been 10 documented cases of voter fraud throughout the US in the way the laws are designed to stop in the past 12 years. It was just on the news that a WW2 veteran Bronze Star recipient gave up on trying to get a state ID so he could vote. He just couldn’t handle standing in line 3 hours at the DMV and I think they said it was his third try.

From what I understand the DMV offices are flooded with people they can’t handle the amount of people coming in. That is what makes it unfair. They should make the law but give people till the next election to comply or at the very least a year.

Anyway it’s been nice debating with you but I need to shut everything down and pack up my computer because I am flying out in a couple hours.

With Regards Grim

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ahhh, the hypocritical left.....you've done it again. These are the same people crying foul about voter fraud being the only reason Bush won both of his elections, but when it's them getting or keeping office, they're all 100% against preventing voter fraud. LOL.....unbelievable. Brainwashed hypocrites....every last one of them.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

I am talking about how other states have the very same requirement, and I am asking if those states enacted the law based on dirty politics as per your claim.

PA's law is tougher. As I understand it other states will allow you to use a utility bill or anything with your name and address on it. PA says no--it MUST be a photo ID.

The founding fathers are spinning in their graves. The right to vote is enshrined in the Constitution. Nowhere is it mentioned that you need ID to vote.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L
Ahhh, the hypocritical left.....you've done it again. These are the same people crying foul about voter fraud being the only reason Bush won both of his elections, but when it's them getting or keeping office, they're all 100% against preventing voter fraud. LOL.....unbelievable. Brainwashed hypocrites....every last one of them.

PA has had ZERO documented cases of voter fraud. The attorneys for the state even admitted that in court.

They're taking a sledgehammer to a non-issue and spending millions of taxpayer dollars to disenfranchise voters. And as Turzai (R-Bradford Woods) put it, the voter ID law was intended to help Romney win PA.

You don't get any more blatant than that. They're trying to steal the election.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What an excellent summation of those who can now vote. Getting an ID card is too difficult.

I wonder if anything else would be difficult for this population. Hmmmm.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I couldn't buy a pack of smokes or a case of beer because I didn't have my photo ID

Glad I can still vote

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join