It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New software uses smartphone camera for spying

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't know if I should be shocked by this or anyone else really.... we are monitored everywhere anyway via Security Cams and they already have the Tech to trace what we are doing and who we are chatting with on the other end of phone anyway...

I'm not surprised the cameras can be used just as the CC's are used.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

New software uses smartphone camera for spying

www.washingtontimes.com

Researchers from the U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center have developed malicious software that can remotely seize control of the camera on an infected smartphone and employ it to spy on the phone’s user.

The malware, dubbed “PlaceRaider,” “allows remote hackers to reconstruct rich, three-dimensional models of the smartphone owner’s personal indoor spaces through completely opportunistic use of the camera,” the researchers said in a study published last week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well the moment the iphone 4 came out and I heard it had both front and back cameras I basically knew why. So if you're txting for example and you're looking at your screen then TPTB can spy on you. I wouldn't worry about some malware. It's what comes standard inside the phone that I'd worry about most.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
If they really want to watch me dance around in my boxers to various electro tunes, by all means, they can grab some popcorn and have at it, I would like to be scored at the end so if they can send a text of my performance, I'd very much appreciate that.

On a side note, laptops I've always covered that cam with tape, not because I am a tin foil nut, but because I am fully understood in the ways of digital spying, I've used cell to pc apps that allowed me complete access to pcs, and I mean I could just turn on the mic and cam and just leave it on if i wanted, even take screenshots.

So you kinda have to think, was that the plan all along?

So many of us don't really use the video cam feature to talk to others with on our phones, yet we have one constantly staring at us, always staring, never blinking, I'm going to go blackout my cam now, see yeah.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
There is no such thing as privacy and there hasn't been for at least 10 years.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Scary indeed, and while not minimizing the topic, if they want to turn on my smart phone, all they're gonna see are my monstrous man-parts, since my phone is always in my pocket!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join