It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart is evil but the sheep still shop there... Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If everyone would just stop shopping at walmart it would wither away and die.
For some reason people keep shopping there and I am at a loss as to why.
Walmart items are poorest of qualilty regardless of the name. I have seen some clothing (jeans) of a well known brand that were purchased at Wallyworld. In spite of the brand the product was made withe shortest cheapest of cotton fibers (using a short fiber creates a cloth that wears out faster, and captures dirt and animal hair and is miserable to maintain.) This fabric looked like it was made from the floor sweepings of a mill after creating the 'good quality' material.

I can only surmise that the other name brand items have their quality compromised in a similar way.

Save your money and buy higher quality items at a real department store. You may need to shine your shoes and dress a little nicer but you should be doing that anyhow.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I burn through a pair of sneakers in four months, max.
I'd rather go through a $10 pair than a $100 pair.

That's the only thing I buy there, though.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

They have the same brands of food that other stores have and they are cheaper!!

That is why people shop there!

If they only had great value brand and nothing else, then I am sure people would go elsewhere.....

The food department is by far their largest volume of sales, so whatever other junk they have there people can get somewhere else......But it is a one stop shop.....

I buy my groceries at Sam's Club (which is owned by Walmart) because in bulk you save lots of money.....Which is what basically everyone's decision to shop there is all about

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I wouldnt call them sheep. Id call them poor and walmart is the cheapest around.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Wall mart is not evil, and people shop there because prices tend to be much cheaper than at the local stores. The people who call Wall Mart evil tend to be the Unions who demonize Wall Mart because they want a share of the profits.

But Wall Mart is out for profit and sometimes can be buttholes in going after it. They do get in trouble from time to time, but all large chain stores will get in trouble. If you do the research you will find that all large corporations has had different stores do things like discriminate against a worker or something like that. So they are not perfect. They are far from the evil exploiters that their opponents claim them to be.

For example, a can of corn at Wall mart can cost as low as 67 cents per can. I've seen the prices of a can of corn at my local store range from $1.29 to as high as $1.79.

Wall mart has very good deals on its products.

And they can keep the prices low because they keep the middle man and unions out. When the middle man and unions get involved, the prices will rise.

That is what causes prices to rise, is the middle men and Unions taking their cut, and the stores have to compensate for that. That's why groceries tend to be higher in many different stores.

Basically, just know that there is a lot of bs about them and always check things out like who is really doing the demonization and what their motivations are. usually its all about money, and the greedy people will say and do anything to make their opponents look as bad as they can so they can get a share of that money. Just be wary of the tricks and traps they will use.

As for me, I like Wall Mart and will not listen to the lies its competitors spread. Call me a sheeple all you want, but i do know a few things about bs.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
No! You are wrong!

Why are they more 'evil' than any other corp.? Because they're good at what they do?

Stop H8ting!

I love Wal-Mart! Best store ever!

edit on 2-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Take a Mr. Coffee coffee maker, for example. Whether you pay $50 for it at Sears or $30 at Wal-Mart, it's still the same cheap crap made in China. With prices that keep going up and wages that keep getting lost or not keeping up with prices, when it comes to cheap--Wal-Mart is the place to go.

As far as food goes, we get the weekly sales fliers and go to all the stores for the specials and usually find much better deals on meats and produce than Wal-mart offers.

/offtopic rant
I don't do many coupons and i will never take in other stores' flyers into walmart to get the sale prices. I'd rather shop around and support the other local stores. I understand why people do it but it seriously irks me to no end when I'm behind someone with a giant wad of coupons, a stack of fliers and a thick three-ring binder doing their weekly shopping.
/end rant

Until prices start coming down (never going to) then watching every penny has to be the way to do things, even if it kills off local competition.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Walmart is no more evil than a well known nationwide grocery store chain in my town that screws its employees and deceptively sells 3rd rate veg as first at first prices.. damned near rotten meat as fresh, and waters down the veg to weigh more on the scale.. so you pay more for nothing. Walmart sells asada meat and organ meats . cheap stuff. Other stores sell higher or better cuts of meat for prices that some can not afford to adequately feed a family. Evil?? Sheep?? Best check yourself and the reality of things before you start throwing around those labels. Walmart is focused on because it has the ability to spread its evil everywhere.. because the poor are kept poor and they play on that for profit. Many times there is no other option for some.. they worry about their hungry children more than they care about you labeling them sheep.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Substitute the word walmart for facebook and the words shop there to use it and that would have made more sense to me.
I understand why people go to walmart,I DON'T understand the facebook thing.

Conspiracy theorists using facebook is like a pacifist who loves to fight.

edit on 2-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
If everyone would just stop shopping at Wal-Mart it would wither away and die.
For some reason people keep shopping there and I am at a loss as to why.

The answer is very simple really - when the buying power of one's income ceases to keep pace with the rising cost of goods and services people shop where they can get what they need for the cheapest price.

Often "quality" is of little concern when it comes to putting some clothes on your kids backs before school or getting the most food for your money. It’s all neat to talk about quality over quantity but honestly people who live paycheck to paycheck don't save for purchases they make them only when they have to.

This is especially true when it comes to food - what food it cheapest? Processed food. It's all well and good to talk about eating more fruits and vegetables but when a family lives at or below poverty they buy what they can get the most of for the least money. Fresh fruits and vegetables are exceptionally expensive and only getting more so.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We MIGHT have made $800 in two weeks, between two of us where we used to live. Then we had to take out car payment, insurance, rent, etc. I'd rather have a pair of jeans that I can afford, even if they wear out a little faster, and be able to eat that week, then pay an obscene amount to get a "good" pair.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Those who consider Walmart evil are not the same ones who are shopping there. Most shoppers would prefer to go somewhere else, but can't afford it. Those who can afford it make themselves feel more special by degrading those who can't afford to shop anywhere else.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Poor? Because they shop at Walmart? That is an interesting theory.......I shop there, and I am almost willing to bet you.....Ah nevermind......

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
How soon folks forget this fact. Walmart will tell a company to cut corners along with the price. So you are in fact getting lower quality products. Their electronics? Check the model numbers on them, they are unique for Walmart. Thus you can't compare apples to apples when shopping there. You get what you pay for.

Me? I rarely visit Walmart. But many, many years ago, any electronics I bought there broke extremely fast. We are talking little past a year vs 7-8 years in every case.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You know, I hate Wal-Mart. I have done as much as possible to buy elsewhere but we still end up having to purchase certain items at Wal-Mart due to price. We are on a ridiculously tight budget and are planning bankruptcy. We cannot afford to spend money on "nice" things. Heck, we had to eat ramen just so I could buy a $20 pair of jeans from Wal-Mart because my one and only pair finally gave out. We are that tight with money around here.

That said, why is Wal-Mart considered the evil one? Why aren't the stores that sell a pair of jeans for $150 not evil in themselves? What pair of jeans, no matter the material, is worth $150? Perhaps the other stores should take a look at Wal-Mart and find ways to bring their prices down to a reasonable level. Maybe then people wouldn't be so reliant on Wal-Mart.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Well like everyone else said, most of the products there in reality are no worse quality than the big labels who have their stuff made in the same Chinese factory - and then just slap their pricey label on it. I shop at Wal-Mart for lots of non-grocery stuff as well as a lot of the canned/boxed/prepared types of food, but I do a majority of my grocery and meat/vegetable/fruit shopping at my local grocery store. I find that the local store's items are more fresh and better quality, but the boxed and canned stuff at Wal-Mart is just as good as the local store. And since they keep the union thugs out of it, they generally have lower prices. IMHO the evil you speak of is in the unions - who are just legal thugs in most cases.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
How soon folks forget this fact. Walmart will tell a company to cut corners along with the price. So you are in fact getting lower quality products. Their electronics? Check the model numbers on them, they are unique for Walmart. Thus you can't compare apples to apples when shopping there. You get what you pay for.

Me? I rarely visit Walmart. But many, many years ago, any electronics I bought there broke extremely fast. We are talking little past a year vs 7-8 years in every case.

Hmm - I have a flat screen, a couple of dvd players, a blue ray, video game consoles, surround sound system as well as many other houshold products that have lasted me just fine for many years - all from Wal Mart. I actually bought a 27" regular TV set from Wal-Mart over 15 years ago when I lost all my crap in a divorce. That TV set is still functioning quite well and I use it daily as my bedroom TV set. I think I might have bought my lawnmower there years ago as well, but I'm not positive about that one. I guess I just have good luck with most Wal-Mart products. I figure that, even if I can afford a more expensive name brand, why should I pay more for a label when they work the same.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
You know, I hate Wal-Mart. I have done as much as possible to buy elsewhere but we still end up having to purchase certain items at Wal-Mart due to price. We are on a ridiculously tight budget and are planning bankruptcy. We cannot afford to spend money on "nice" things. Heck, we had to eat ramen just so I could buy a $20 pair of jeans from Wal-Mart because my one and only pair finally gave out. We are that tight with money around here.

That said, why is Wal-Mart considered the evil one? Why aren't the stores that sell a pair of jeans for $150 not evil in themselves? What pair of jeans, no matter the material, is worth $150? Perhaps the other stores should take a look at Wal-Mart and find ways to bring their prices down to a reasonable level. Maybe then people wouldn't be so reliant on Wal-Mart.

I am not ashamed of this... so listen up. I have plenty of money, live in a 5 br historic home, etc etc etc.. and I still go to the thrift store to buy certain things cause Im a notorious tightwad when it comes to certain things. Jeans are one of them. When I was single and young.. several hundred for a pair of jeans I wanted wasnt a huge deal. Older, responsibilities, things I channel my money to , and not allowing my kids to get too uppity for their own good drives me to seek out the best bargain I can find on some things. WIth the kids Im trying to teach by example and I feel looking down on frugality or those who MUST be frugal is BS.
Some electronics I REFUSE to buy new.. especially those for the kids.. its craigslist or the pawn shop. Many things I do buy retail or new... but some things just make sense not to bother with paying the inflated prices.
If you are that tight for money.. never allow pride or ignorance to push you further to the edge
The idea is catching on these days and Im glad.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm sure the serfs thought the guys selling food at market thought they were evil but do you buy food from an evil source or starve?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by tport17

I am not ashamed of this... so listen up. I have plenty of money, live in a 5 br historic home, etc etc etc.. and I still go to the thrift store to buy certain things cause Im a notorious tightwad when it comes to certain things. Jeans are one of them. When I was single and young.. several hundred for a pair of jeans I wanted wasnt a huge deal. Older, responsibilities, things I channel my money to , and not allowing my kids to get too uppity for their own good drives me to seek out the best bargain I can find on some things. WIth the kids Im trying to teach by example and I feel looking down on frugality or those who MUST be frugal is BS.
Some electronics I REFUSE to buy new.. especially those for the kids.. its craigslist or the pawn shop. Many things I do buy retail or new... but some things just make sense not to bother with paying the inflated prices.
If you are that tight for money.. never allow pride or ignorance to push you further to the edge
The idea is catching on these days and Im glad.

I'd love to! Now point me to a cheap thrift store that has my size!

lol, believe me, I like thrift stores. In fact, I was at one yesterday and dug through all the clothes and came out with nothing. I live in a rural area and there really aren't that many thrift stores around unless you drive an hour to a city. But every one I have been in, the clothes are either extra small, extra extra large, or stuff from the 80's with lots of colors, flowers, buttons and sequins. And there is usually a wedding dress or two.
All of this applies to $1 racks at clothing stores as well.

And jeans aren't even an option. I have enough trouble finding jeans in a store. I have extra long legs and apparently the most common waist size because my size is almost always the first to go.

So, for me, clothing isn't an option at thrift stores. Now, as far as other things go, thrift stores are great to find appliances, books, toys, shoes (sometimes), belts, etc. In fact, we got my brother's suit jacket for $3 at a thrift store for my wedding.

Sometimes cheap-ish clothing can be found at those buy back stores. The kind where you sell your gently used name-brand clothes and they resell them. Really though, I haven't had a whole lot of luck at those either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join