It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Wrap Scams Are On The Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i just want people to beware of this scam. You might get an email for it which basically says:

If you advertise for use we will pay you $300 a week if you allow us to wrap your car.

But really, it's just a scam.

Here's an article for you:

technorati.com...

With unemployment rates high, it's easy for criminals to prey on those in desperate need of work with business scams. The victims of these scams are often just looking for work to help make ends meet and they end up losing their own money in the process. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is warning people of a growing number of Car Wrapping Scams. The scam utilizes the internet to find or attract those looking to make some extra money.

They either send out mass-marketing emails to large groups or they will actually look for contacts on employment websites where people post resume and contact information in order to find a job. The scammers claim they will pay for the owner's car to be wrapped with advertisements for popular companies. Big company names like Monster Energy, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser have already been used and any company could potentially be named by the scammers.

I just had a friend that was hit with this. When she showed me her email, I thought it was a good deal and a good way to make a bit of money. So I encouraged her to go through with it. Unfortunately, I failed her and didn't think to check it out to see if it was a scam, so now I feel like I owe my friend several hundred dollars too. And I'm going to make it up for her because, well, I feel guilty like it's my fault that I encouraged her to do this deal.

So now she's contacting the bank to see what she can do to recover her money she lost, but I don't think she'll ever recover the money.

So I will do what i can to make it up to her.

So let this be a lesson. From now on I will always check out these kinds of emails to see if they're really on the up an up.
edit on 2-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Yep it's just like this one secret shopper scam.. My girlfriend actually received a fake check which I looked into without letting her use it. The check ended up being from a bank that went out of business. And they called her from a number to see if she had gotten the check. The number didn't match where the check was from (location wise across the country)... The check seemed to be a college check that would have been used to pay employees or something. Which also wasn't kosher with this being a secret shopper thing.

They wanted her to deposit most of the check and wire them the rest of the money, and keep like $700 of the $4,000 check..

Needless to say, I saved her from losing $4,000..
edit on 10/2/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

new topics

join