It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible! Human Size Bat Caught In Peru

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

No the guy in front of the camera closest to us is about 2-3 feet away.

The Bat is hung another 4-5 feet in front of him ( farther away from camera ). This thing is about 4-5 feet tall.

As has been pointed out in the thread... if you look at the knife on top of the frame on which the bat hangs you get a very good idea exactly where the bat hangs, i.e. right in front of the camera. It's all about perspective.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
This is definitely a forced perspectice from the camera. Subject being closer to camera but gives impression of being further away to increase the size. Still a big bat but no where near the implied size use the knife as a refrence to the size and compare.
edit on 3-10-2012 by duffdean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The tv show "destination truth"... (The show with josh gates and his team of paranormal experts who never find anything, or any proof ever..) ..filmed an episode on a human bat creature. I think the episode was in Zanzibar? Or Tansania? ....but either way, they chased a human sized bat through the jungle. But, per usual, the destination truth team ran around in the dark woods hearing noises, but never caught any proof......and I think the tv show has been cancelled... . However, wherever they traveled to has alot of folklore regarding hman size bats creatures, .....where there's smoke...there's fire!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
So whats the deal, have they killed it? It looks dead to me in the pic. Just saying something as rare as this and they kill and capture it how very Human of us!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I've seen one or two other ones like this before, but they weren't this big. Maybe a foot and a half to two feet tall and balls the size of tennis balls. I wonder if there are many others that remain?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindCuriousMind

I agree, simple search pulls up:

www.kulfoto.com...

And this article: news.ninemsn.com.au...
discusses how an expert dismisses it as fake:

Director of the Australian Bat Clinic, Trish Wimberley, said that while some species of bats can have wingspans that stretch up to 1.7m, no bat could grow to the size apparently shown in the picture.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't look real at all? It looks like paper mache that's been painted and some thin, brown fabric used for the wings. Why do these hoaxes make people get so excited when they look so poor??!?
edit on 10/10/2011 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2011 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

No, you're not the only person. It looks fake to me too, and the wings appear too gossamer/translucent -- like it is material. It also looks too monochromatic, particularly in comparison to pictures of the megabats/fruit bats. Also doesn't look furry.

But hey, most of the posters here are impressed, so we must be wrong...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, if there was a bat that size around the house here, I would be seeing a taxidermist. I don't think there is a law against shooting a big bat. I'm sure that bat isn't eating insects to live
Not unless the insects are the size of mice. I bet that bat could pick up a five pound animal. Looks to be about two feet long with about a seven foot wingspan. They can keep them down there, I will keep our bats with an eight inch wingspan.

It's impressive that they have duct tape down there to lash the frame together. Maybe they watch the Red green show. Duct tape lives everywhere. it's the fabric of the Universe

edit on 3-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
www.kulfoto.com...

Again.....just for those late to the party. This Flying Fox/Bat does exist. It's an endangered species. While the OP's pic has a perspective making the bat look much larger than it actually is, these creatures are quite large. Above is a better perspective.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
hmm batmam.

a picture would have been nice

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
www.kulfoto.com...

Again.....just for those late to the party. This Flying Fox/Bat does exist. It's an endangered species. While the OP's pic has a perspective making the bat look much larger than it actually is, these creatures are quite large. Above is a better perspective.

No, this is a hoax. The place where the actual bats exist is not where this story claims this one was found. It's not just a perspective issue. This is a hoax.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Neocrusader

Yep, theres a hunting type knife in the picture (red circle

So unless its a freakishly huge hunting knife I wouldn't say the bat was anything like as huge as it looks
edit on 2-10-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

LOL ..... good eye. It's photoshop!!!
A SURVIVAL KNIFE, oups forgot to erase that I guess.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

If you read the entire THREAD like I alluded to on an earlier page, I agree. but some posters were claiming this species does not exist. It's not difficult to wade through the grand claims, over-sensationalization, and B.S. of certain threads but to glean the glimmer of truth in them.

This is what the discerning readers of ATS need more often. Taking the outlandish of claims and toning it in perspective and relaizing the TRUTH of the matter.

While this bat is not 'human size' as the Op States and immediately put in the hoax bin because of sensational journalism, a grain of truth remains. The 'flying fox" (obviously not of Peru) of Malaysia, does in fact exibit unique and freakish attributes.

I see analogies all over this site with outlandish claims and a 'pure' rebuttal. But somewhere in this 'middle' are the real facts, and only the intelligent can decipher them. The rest praddle on yay or nay. Ugh.

I mean when some kid with vampire fangs and a smirky grin becomes the authourity on your belief system maybe you need a reality check.
edit on 23-10-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

If you read the entire THREAD like I alluded to on an earlier page, I agree. but some posters were claiming this species does not exist. It's not difficult to wade through the grand claims, over-sensationalization, and B.S. of certain threads but to glean the glimmer of truth in them.

This is what the discerning readers of ATS need more often. Taking the outlandish of claims and toning it in perspective and relaizing the TRUTH of the matter.

While this bat is not 'human size' as the Op States and immediately put in the hoax bin because of sensational journalism, a grain of truth remains. The 'flying fox" (obviously not of Peru) of Malaysia, does in fact exibit unique and freakish attributes.

I see analogies all over this site with outlandish claims and a 'pure' rebuttal. But somewhere in this 'middle' are the real facts, and only the intelligent can decipher them. The rest praddle on yay or nay. Ugh.

I mean when some kid with vampire fangs and a smirky grin becomes the authourity on your belief system maybe you need a reality check.

That's kind of funny. I believe the one who did not read the thread is you. You must have missed page 3, where 8 months ago I said ....

No, it's quite clearly fake as none of the "giant" bat species live in this area, none of them attack people, and none are remotely close to this size even accounting for the optical illusion making it appear bigger than it is.

The only one of the two of us who is misinformed is you. Look at the knife in the picture, it's clearly a photoshop job. This 'species' as pictured does not exist. It is not even close to that big. It also does not live where this was supposedly captured. Just because someone photoshopped an actual bat does not mean what is pictured exists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join