It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Innocence of Muslims' banned in Russia and labels it 'EXTREMIST'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here is a report from Russian TV published on october 1 , 2012 regarding the movie 'Innocence of Muslims ' .The Moscow court has banned the movie nationwide and said it contains extremist material.

A Moscow court has ruled that the controversial 'Innocence of Muslims' film contains extremist material, banning it nationwide. The court convened after a case was filed by the Prosecutor-General's office, calling for the movie to be banned across Russia. According to Russian laws, any content can be legally classified as 'extremist' if prosecutors present sufficient evidence to make their case. After such a ruling, sharing the content also becomes a crime. Upon presenting their case to court, prosecutors said they believe the movie incites religious hatred, thus "propagating religious intolerance in Russia." The judge watched the controversial video, and called experts on culture, history and religion to testify, before delivering a verdict. But while all the experts agreed the movie should be banned, human rights groups fear this could lead to unnecessary censorship of content. Deputy head of Human Right Watch in Moscow Tatyana Lokshina said she has no doubt the movie is offensive to believers. But banning it completely, according to Lokshina, is contradictory to the concept of free speech.

Source : rt.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
And what is your opinion on this? usually a post is accompanied by the op's position on the given subject..

On one hand as a fan of the film Life of Brian I think freedom of expression is critical and that no religion should be protected over another when it comes to that.. in other words if it's ok to pick on Christians in a film, why not any other religion?

On the other hand.. this film, or what I've seen of it .. seems to go to great lengths to be insulting whereas Life of Brian didn't .. they actually avoided many things and tried to be very clear that they were not talking about Jesus.. merely a guy mistaken for him.

The man who created the innocence of the Muslims also seems to have admitted that this was not intended to be a comedy but a statement.. he knew very well what the result would be and even apparently lied to the actors in the film.. had them record individual words AFTER it was shot and then dubbed over what they actually said to change the context of the film.. that alone shows motive for trouble.

Given that he lied to the actors over the context of the film should be grounds enough to ban it .. it's not fair to those who took part unwittingly in what he was trying to accomplish.. he used them.
edit on 10/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Personally , i believe that movie was the worst . That movie was below 3rd grade . Though i respect the freedom of speech , but it doesn't mean one should cross the line . Everyone must respect each others religion and faith .

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by synapsis
Though i respect the freedom of speech , but it doesn't mean one should cross the line . Everyone must respect each others religion and faith .

So you respect but not believe in freedom of speech then?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Though i respect the freedom of speech , but it doesn't mean one should cross the line . Everyone must respect each others religion and faith .

So you respect but not believe in freedom of speech then?

No he meant " i disagree with your believes and what yu do" kind of free speech, not "your believes are evil and you and your kind should be put to death by a nuke"

Yeah freedom of speech hast its limitations, but there are others who abuse it and spew hatred.
edit on 10/2/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Yeah freedom of speech hast its limitations

Then it isn't freedom of speech.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Personally , i believe that movie was the worst . That movie was below 3rd grade . Though i respect the freedom of speech , but it doesn't mean one should cross the line . Everyone must respect each others religion and faith .

Exactly! Another example is here in the US people can't hang or draw nooses.
It's offensive and suggestive and most people recognize where to draw a line.
You do not see actors performing in blackface or using the N word because although we have freedom of speech some things are deliberately manufactured for hate and should be banned.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

edit on 3-10-2012 by DeadpoolPete because: (no reason given)

top topics

join