It is the innocent civilians who would suffer the most in a strike on Iran's nuclear sites.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The MSM is busy demonizing Iranian President Ahmadinejad and beating the drums of war against this nation that hasn't attacked any other nation for over 100 years. They talk about how his rhetoric is dangerous and that he cannot be allowed to get his hands on nuclear weapons but, forget the whole time that it is the innocent civilians of Iran who would suffer in the event of an attack on Iran's nuclear sites.

How many civilians would be killed in an attack on Irans nuclear sites?

For Iranians these days, life under economic sanctions is a crescendo of hardships. With the Iranian currency at an all-time low against the dollar, shortages of essential medicines and quadrupling prices of basic goods like shampoo and bread, a sense of crisis pervades daily life. Now Iranians are worrying about one more thing: imminent death from an American or Israeli military strike.

While Iranians are increasingly fretful of an imminent attack, they remain broadly unaware of just how devastating the human impact could be. Even a conservative strike on a handful of Iran’s nuclear facilities, a recent report predicts, could kill or injure 5,000 to 80,000 people. The Ayatollah’s Nuclear Gamble, a report written by an Iranian-American scientist with expertise in industrial nuclear-waste management, notes that a number of Iran’s sites are located directly atop or near major civilian centers. One key site that would almost certainly be targeted in a bombing campaign, the uranium-conversion facility at Isfahan, houses 371 metric tons of uranium hexafluoride and is located on the city’s doorstep; toxic plumes released from a strike would reach the city center within an hour, killing or injuring as many as 70,000 and exposing over 300,000 to radioactive material. These plumes would “destroy their lungs, blind them, severely burn their skin and damage other tissues and vital organs.” The report’s predictions for long-term toxicity and fatalities are equally stark. “The numbers are alarming,” says Khosrow Semnani, the report’s author, “we’re talking about a catastrophe in the same class as Bhopal and Chernobyl.”

Beyond those initially killed in a potential strike, the Iranian government’s lack of readiness for handling wide-scale radiation exposure could exponentially raise the death toll, Semnani says. His study, published by the University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics and the nongovernmental organization Omid for Iran, outlines Iran’s poor record of emergency response and notes that its civilian casualties from natural disasters like earthquakes have been far greater than those suffered during similar disasters in better prepared countries like Turkey. With virtually no clinical capacity or medical infrastructure to deal with wide-scale radioactive fallout, or early warning systems in place to limit exposure, Iran would be swiftly overwhelmed by the aftermath of a strike. The government’s woeful unpreparedness remains unknown to most Iranians. “This issue is a redline, the [Iranian] media can’t go near it,” says Jamshid Barzegar, a senior analyst at BBC Persian. “To talk about this would be considered a weakening of people’s attitudes. The government only speaks of tactics and resistance, how unhurt Iran will be by an attack.”

Time

People need to remember that wars have consequences and that it is the innocent civilians, who have very little to do with crafting national policy, who will suffer the most in the event of war. They are already suffering as a result of our stupid sanctions. How many will have to die when the US or Israel finally goes after their nuclear power plant?

Is this war really worth it if it results in another nuclear catastrophy like Chernoble or Fukushima?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Don't you know? there is no good Iranian, every single one of them is out to get the good hearted American and their freedom!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Don't you know? there is no good Iranian, every single one of them is out to get the good hearted American and their freedom!

Yep they want our freedom, so we need to preemptively take it away before they get it... Hahaha

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
right...and i guess a nuke on tel aviv from iran, or hamas, wouldn't have the same impact?. how much sympathy do you have for the iranian people that were murdered standing up to their government?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ask the survivors of Hiroshima & Nagsaki if they have suffered needlessly. I would say they have. OFF TOPIC COMMENT . WE did not need to drop TWO nuclear bombs on Japan.One would have done the job, and it could have been dropped in an un-inhabited area and gotten the same results. I feel we just wanted to see & the world to see what exactly we were capable of doing. A show of might, that instilled fear in everyone else.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
Ask the survivors of Hiroshima & Nagsaki if they have suffered needlessly. I would say they have. OFF TOPIC COMMENT . WE did not need to drop TWO nuclear bombs on Japan.One would have done the job, and it could have been dropped in an un-inhabited area and gotten the same results. I feel we just wanted to see & the world to see what exactly we were capable of doing. A show of might, that instilled fear in everyone else.

You don't know how many still believe, that those hundred of thousands of fisherman and poor people died is justified in order to stop the war.

You will get the "They had to die to stop the war, they would not surrender" in other worlds, they say that in order to sleep properly without guilt.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Of course! The people always get the worst part. Like quoted above, ask the people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki how bad it is. They have signs of radiation till today. They are paying the toll for the last 50 years or so. That's why I think that the talk "Iran-is-trying-to-build-a-nuke" is the most stupid thing ever, mainly when it comes from US government, they were the only ones to actually use a nuke against innocents, what moral do they have to say who can and cannot have a nuke???

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There are people all over the world who go about their daily lives, no different then you or I....they have nothing to do with wars, politics, religion but they are always caught in the crossfire....They are the casualties of it all.....how many people had to die over a supposed boogeyman in a cave? How many additional American, Afghani, Pakistani, Iraqi......lives destroyed? How many soldiers coming back in shambles? Families torn apart....by war?

To move forward we have to be over it...from these wars spring more wars...ect...ect...give it up already!!

We have people here in the states...who fail to see these people as fellow humans....they define people by their politicians....their government.

Now if the tables were turned would we ourselves want to be defined by the Bushes, the Obamas....what about someone like Santorum? Would you want to die based on the worlds perception of these people?

In the end....we are just sitting here doing time.....no reason to make life more unhappy then it is.....we should call truce....go home and live life....no more wars
edit on 2-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
right...and i guess a nuke on tel aviv from iran, or hamas, wouldn't have the same impact?. how much sympathy do you have for the iranian people that were murdered standing up to their government?

The old "when a mushroom cloud appears over (insert city name here)" argument is so tired, I'm suprised anyone falles for it anymore.

Nobody has been dumb enough to actually use a nuke since the US in WW II. India, Pakistan and even those nuts in North Korea haven't been crazy enough to use theirs yet, what makes you think Iran would be any different? Besides, Iran has agreed to abide by the non-poliferation treaty. Israel has not and is widely suspected to have possession of nukes itself. It is far more likely that Iran will be the victim of a nuclear attack long before anyone developes the capability to even threaten Israel.

Personally, I wouldn't blame Iran for wanting nukes of its own with the way the US and Israel are constantly threatening them. Maybe the only way for them to end the constant threats to their existence is for them to develope nukes for their own protection.

Nukes have proven to be the greatest self defence stategy of all time. Nobody would dare attack a nuclear armed country for fear of the consequences. How could you blame any nation from wanting them if it would keep their neighbors and the US from constantly threatening them?

Maybe if the US got out of the "world police" role it has assumed for itself, the need for more country's to develope their own nukes would go away and the world would be a safer place to live.

link   
reply to post by kat2684

Now if the tables were turned would we ourselves want to be defined by the Bushes, the Obamas....what about someone like Santorum? Would you want to die based on the worlds perception of these people?

There is soo much truth in this but i doubt people will remember it by the end the day, they will be back to "nuke the entire middle east" ideology.

link   

Originally posted by luciddream

You don't know how many still believe, that those hundred of thousands of fisherman and poor people died is justified in order to stop the war.

You will get the "They had to die to stop the war, they would not surrender" in other worlds, they say that in order to sleep properly without guilt.

No one breaks this issue down better than Doug Long:

www.doug-long.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I posted about your sentiments in another thread...I do not believe there was ever a good rationalization for the annihilation of Hiroshima & Nagsaki. Innocents are always the ones to suffer the most, including the loss of their lives. Do we have any idea as to what other human beings experience as victims of these war games, as they lose entire families, homes and towns to the irrational conniving of the powers that be? Justification can NEVER be declared for these heinous acts to our fellow humans!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

Which thread did you post it in? If you don't mind me asking.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

Nice link just finished read some of them.

Thanks,

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

you are wrong...japan refused to surrender after the first bomb...it's in the history books.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by elrem48

Which thread did you post it in? If you don't mind me asking.

Here...Never-Seen: Hiroshima and Nagasaki ;Photo Gallery If you type it into "search" it should appear.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

We gave them two days to decide. Two whole days. WOW. Then BOOM, there goes another city. Why biuld that bomb if you aint gonna drop it. It wasnt needed. It was simple murder of thousannds of INNOCENT JAPANESE CITIZENS.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

We gave them two days to decide. Two whole days. WOW. Then BOOM, there goes another city. Why biuld that bomb if you aint gonna drop it. It wasnt needed. It was simple murder of thousannds of INNOCENT JAPANESE CITIZENS.

Lets not forget the Korean Civilians living in both cities at the time of the bombing, what crime did they commit to deserve being incinerated? You rarely hear about them in these discussions:
Of far less concern, unfortunately, were the many Koreans living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki at bombing times. Of some 50,000 living in Hiroshima, about 20,000 died in the bombing and about 27,000 returned to Korea. Of the 12,000–14,000 Koreans in the bombed area of Nagasaki, 1,500 to 2,000 are believed to have died. Most of the rest returned to Korea. Then, in the Japan–Republic of Korea Normalization Treaty of 1965, Korea relinquished all claims against Japan, leaving Korean A-bomb victims still there without access to Japanese legal provisions for A-bomb victims.

www.atomicbombmuseum.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Yes, innocent...always are. "Japan refused to surrender after the first bomb...it's in the history books" implies that "Japan" means EVERYONE from their country refused to surrender. Of course we know this is not the case. It's the politicians and the Japanese military, so how is it O.K. to nuke innocent civilians? Oh, I know...they are just a "casuality of war!' PITIFUL!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

reply to post by jimmyx

Yes, innocent...always are. "Japan refused to surrender after the first bomb...it's in the history books" implies that "Japan" means EVERYONE from their country refused to surrender. Of course we know this is not the case. It's the politicians and the Japanese military, so how is it O.K. to nuke innocent civilians? Oh, I know...they are just a "casuality of war!' PITIFUL!

I agree with your sentiments, the only thing I would add is that Many "players" back in the day insist that Japan was "suing for peace", simply looking at their best options of surrendering, in a way that would allow the Emperor to "save face"
Follow the link I added in my prior post, and read all the documents therein, and then fact check them from other sources.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join