It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge blocks Pennsylvania voter ID law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Judge blocks Pennsylvania voter ID law

A Pennsylvania judge has blocked enforcement of the key section of a voter identification law which the state legislature enacted and Republican Gov. Tom Corbett signed last March, meaning that the law will not be in effect for the Nov. 6 election. Judge Robert Simpson said that even with the streamlined procedures that state officials proposed to make it easier for voters without ID cards to obtain them, “the proposed changes are to occur about five weeks before the general election, and I question whether sufficient time now remains to attain the goal of liberal access” to ID cards. He said, “I expected more photo IDs to have been issued by this time. For this reason, I accept Petitioners’ argument that in the remaining five weeks before the general election, the gap between the photo IDs issued and the estimated need will not be closed.”

Seems like the republicans won't be able to screw people out of their chance to vote in this election. And with the republicans behind in both the presidential and senate polls looks like things aren't going to be good for them. Better luck next time.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Another chapter in the never ending irony that is the far right agenda...

Voter supression in the guise of elections "integrity"..

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Lists of things you need a photo ID for!

1.Get on an airplane
2.Get something notarized
3.Open a bank account
4.Register for college
5.Drive
6.Apply for Food Stamps
7.Apply for Medicaid
8.Apply for Unemployment
9.Cash a check
10.Get a mortgage
11.Get married
12.Get a job
13.Apply for Welfare

To DARE think that requireing and ID to vote is so horrible!!!! It amazes me how you progressives think that it is okay for just anyone to walk in off the street and vote in our elections!

Let me ask you this, "If we had a Republican for a president, would you feel the same way about it?". Your hypocracy and desparation to do "anything possible" to keep the current potus in office is purely mind numbing........

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
As I said in a previous thread, it's not so much the requiring of photo ID as much as it was the fact the republican-dominated state legislature rammed this through six months before the election, and then had one legislator say it was simply to deliver PA to Romney. If he never said that, there probably wouldn't have been the outcry, that and the fact that the legislature didn't prepare PennDOT for the influx of people needing ID.

Also, the Deputy AG signed a document stating there were no verifiable cases of voter fraud in the state during the trial. So why are we wasting tax payer dollars fighting something that even the state said didn't exist?
edit on 2-10-2012 by DarkKnight76 because: edit

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It does seem like the right thing to do for this election if there are still uninformed voters in PA. Although, I do think there should be an ID requirement to vote, like many other states have in place, to limit fraud potential. They should get on it right after the election.

So I agree with the OP, that letting the Democratic party benefit from the uninformed PA voters in this election is indeed the right thing to do.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yes. I would feel the same way if we had a Republican president OR of it were the Democrats trying to suppress the vote.

And there's not a DAMN thing wrong with a voter ID, as long as 100% of American citizens have the time and resources to get one before the election. That was not the case with this election.

Woo-Hoo! Thank you, Judge Robert Simpson!
It's the patriotic thing to do!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

1.Get on an airplane
3.Open a bank account
4.Register for college
5.Drive
6.Apply for Food Stamps
7.Apply for Medicaid
8.Apply for Unemployment
9.Cash a check
10.Get a mortgage
11.Get married
12.Get a job
13.Apply for Welfare

To DARE think that requireing and ID to vote is so horrible!!!! It amazes me how you progressives think that it is okay for just anyone to walk in off the street and vote in our elections!

Let me ask you this, "If we had a Republican for a president, would you feel the same way about it?". Your hypocracy and desparation to do "anything possible" to keep the current potus in office is purely mind numbing........

And none of these things on your list are specifically renumerated as a Constitutional right. Second, many of us have no problem in general with the concept, but as decent and logical human beings we know such laws cannot be enacted with mere months before a national election when even the State officials admit there is not enough time for everyone who wants one to get such an ID. The logistics simply are not there for the State governing institution to handle to flood of applicants in time. An honest person who cares about voting rights admits this; only the intentional vote suppressors on the Right do not, which is of course expected from them. They detest Constitutional rights when applied to those not like themselves.

As it typically the case, the side aggressively pushing for such laws under the guise of protecting a fair vote are ALWAYS the ones working hardest to make the vote tilt toward their side. The greatest example that will live in the busy and big wall of the Right Wing Hates America Wall of Shame is the ACORN myth. The facts on ACORN were that ACORN itself alerted election officials to potentially fraudulent registrations. It did not need the Press or political authority or watchdogs to find and call out the fraud -- they identified and call it out themselves.

But now we have widespread actual registration fraud perpetuated by the Republicans hired firm where it took election officials to uncover it and sound the alarm. Further, the Right KNEW this organization's founder had ethical problems and previous voter registration fraud AGAINST him. So what does the RNC do? They tell this man (Sproul, the former head of the Arizona RNC) to change the name of his organization and leave HIS name off the organizations incorporation documents to try to trick the public that this was not the same guy who previously had fraud allegations laid on him in 2004.

Once again, the Right proves it is the real threat to American democracy. It proves IT is the group who detests the Constitution. It proves IT is the side willing to lie and cheat and steal its way in to power. If you are a Right wing person, you are America's greatest domestic enemy.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

1.Get on an airplane
3.Open a bank account
4.Register for college
5.Drive
6.Apply for Food Stamps
7.Apply for Medicaid
8.Apply for Unemployment
9.Cash a check
10.Get a mortgage
11.Get married
12.Get a job
13.Apply for Welfare

Does someone have to drive a car or own a home or go to college to vote? A Notary prefers a photo ID, but they can notarize a doc with a witness etc. My kids fly...My 12 year old niece has a bank account...long list of bunk.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

as long as 100% of American citizens have the time and resources to get one before the election

So, you do not agree with requirement voter ID... ever.

100% is impossible to achieve.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
isnt it racist to assume only white people can get ID's?

thats what the liberals are doing here assuming only white males can get IDs

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Since this is a non-issue in PA for this election, I thought it would be interesting to look at the voting requirements and Electoral Votes at stake in the swing states.

Requires some form of Voter ID:

Wisconsin – 10
Florida – 29
Colorado -9
Ohio – 18
Virginia – 13
New Hampshire - 4

= 84 Electoral Votes

No Voter ID requirement:

Iowa – 6
Nevada – 6
North Carolina – 15

= 27 Electoral Votes

Sources
Interactive Voter ID Map

2012 Swing States

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

1.Get on an airplane
3.Open a bank account
4.Register for college
5.Drive
6.Apply for Food Stamps
7.Apply for Medicaid
8.Apply for Unemployment
9.Cash a check
10.Get a mortgage
11.Get married
12.Get a job
13.Apply for Welfare

To DARE think that requiring and ID to vote is so horrible!!!! It amazes me how you progressives think that it is okay for just anyone to walk in off the street and vote in our elections!

Let me ask you this, "If we had a Republican for a president, would you feel the same way about it?". Your hypocrisy and desperation to do "anything possible" to keep the current potus in office is purely mind numbing........

Why does it have to be a voter id? Any normal id should be sufficient. Yes I would be against the voter id even if Daffy Duck was in office. Any normal idea should be fine for voting. Why is it if someone talks against the republican ideas they are automatically progressive? Besides where in the constitutions does it state you have to have a photo id to vote? You are crying about the democrats when more and more evidence keeps popping up that the republicans are already trying to rig the election.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

How is it voter supression to make people show their ID and prove that they are really who they say they are to prevent voting fraud? I have never understood the argument against having to show conclusively that you are a legitimate citizen of the U.S. in order to be able to vote. It seems like a no brainer to me.
edit on 2-10-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
reply to post by Indigo5

How is it voter supression to make people show their ID and prove that they are really who they say they are to prevent voting fraud? I have never understood the argument against having to show conclusively that you are a legitimate citizen of the U.S. in order to be able to vote. It seems like a no brainer to me.
edit on 2-10-2012 by AutOmatIc because: spelling

OK...Large portions of the inner city, where folks don't drive cars...many parts of rural America where they can't afford a car...Large portions of the elderly community that no longer drives...do not have Drivers Liscences.

In states that tried ...some succesful...to pass the Voter ID laws...the GOP legislatures were required to make available the Voter IDs...and approved offices where a voter could obtain a Voter ID.. and those offices are open 3 times a month during work hours and located 50 miles from the city...see how that works? For people that by definition dont own cars? The closer to election time you pass these laws...the more you screw people...specifically the Poor and Elderly...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The voter ID law in Pennsylvania stated that if you're a college student and you don't have a Pennsylvania Driver's License, you could use your college ID as long as it has a current expiration date that hasn't expired. 80% of the colleges in Pennsylvania don't have ID with an expiration date. See how this works?

It's one thing to pass a law requiring voter ID. It's another thing to pass a law requiring voter ID just a few months before an election so some people wouldn't have enough time to get the required ID.

A friend of mine lost his state non-driver's license so he had to go to the social security office to get a replacement social security card so he could get his state voter ID. However, the social security office wouldn't see him, because he didn't have his state non-driver's license even though he had his birth certificate and a non-Medicare insurance card. Fortunately, I found that he had left his state non-driver's license in a drawer, so he didn't have to deal with getting a state voter ID after all.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

1.Get on an airplane
3.Open a bank account
4.Register for college
5.Drive
6.Apply for Food Stamps
7.Apply for Medicaid
8.Apply for Unemployment
9.Cash a check
10.Get a mortgage
11.Get married
12.Get a job
13.Apply for Welfare

None of the above are enshrined in our Constitution.

Next time, maybe the Reeps should just try to repeal the 15th and 19th Amendments. The Constitution is only a piece of paper, after all.

/sarc

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
The voter ID law in Pennsylvania stated that if you're a college student and you don't have a Pennsylvania Driver's License, you could use your college ID as long as it has a current expiration date that hasn't expired. 80% of the colleges in Pennsylvania don't have ID with an expiration date. See how this works?

It's one thing to pass a law requiring voter ID. It's another thing to pass a law requiring voter ID just a few months before an election so some people wouldn't have enough time to get the required ID.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

The deadline for voter registration in PA is October 9. That's one week away, and you'd better believe Corbett wanted this to come down to the wire to prevent as many people as possible from voting.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Ah, ok thanks, I believe I understand now. This law requires voters to have a completely new and separate ID for voting other than the regular legal documents proving you are a legitimate citizen. For instance, you would have a drivers license AND a separate "voters license" right?

I do think it is unrealistic to pass such laws so close to an election.....however, I firmly believe that the system of voting we have right now is way too suspicious. I mean, we have had instances of dead people voting.....illegals voting, and corrupted vote counting machines...etc.

The system does need a major overhaul. Starting with getting rid of the electoral college....making it a system where every vote does indeed count. And setting up a comprehensive way to assure that everyone who does vote is legal to do so by being a legal citizen and being able to prove that they are as they claim.

Though I thought we already did that....when you get a legitimate ID you can register to vote at the same time. If you don't register at that point, then whose fault is it for your own procrastinations?
edit on 2-10-2012 by AutOmatIc because: procrastinators

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Your absolutely correct. That's exactly what he wanted.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

I also think that if we do have voter id laws then everyone shoould get a receipt.
Those receipts and all others show be crossed referenced into a data base.
We should be then able to verify every vote is legal and counted.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join